It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating Hotel/City Self Contained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I thought this was pretty cool and interesting. Perhaps since there is no place left on land to be free and not ruled by corrupt government something like this is the eventual answer for true freedom?

Addressing growing concern over climate change and the rising level of the world’s oceans, Russian architectural firm Remistudio has designed a massive hotel concept that can endure extreme floods. The arch-shaped building, dubbed the Ark, has a structure that enables it to float and exist autonomously on the surface of the water. The Ark was also designed to be a bioclimatic house with independent life-support systems, including elements ensuring a closed-functioning cycle.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

if you go to the link there is a bunch more slides of it showing the insides and how it functions etc.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/679a98a152dd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I may be reading into the idea too much, but maybe this is something designed to ensure the future of mankind in light of things to come. Could it be possible that the architects are acting on knowledge of some future catastrophe that is unknown to most?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I may be reading into the idea too much, but maybe this is something designed to ensure the future of mankind in light of things to come. Could it be possible that the architects are acting on knowledge of some future catastrophe that is unknown to most?

Could be however I would think it has to much glass or plexi-glass ad exposed area to be able to stand extreme weather conditions etc. However maybe it is a precursor to something like that. I always thought something like that needs some good engines and a good weather station to stay out of extreme weather on the oceans. Although we haven't lost any Cruise ships in many decades that I can recall so maybe that is not a big problem.
edit on 31-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Seems like these units could be made on a smaller scale as single residences.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by gem_man
reply to post by hawkiye

Seems like these units could be made on a smaller scale as single residences.

True and good idea and also modular so they could connect together to form a larger one too if people so desired.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Judging by the boats along side it, it doesn't appear to be very big..
Also, is that a reactor on top?
If so, it must be quite small and I'd wonder why the didn't facilitate cooling under the craft instead..

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Seems like Italy is not the only place that is in survivalist mode. If we have no problems in the near future at least we will have a interesting hotel to visit.
edit on 31-12-2010 by packinupngoin because: missed a "in"

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Looks like a giant floating slinky. I bet everything in it is state of the art though. And like the previous poster mentioned, this could be a great idea for single family use as well.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Looks great and clever design.

The cupola, in the upper part, collects warm air which is gathered in seasonal heat accumulators to provide an uninterrupted energy supply for the whole complex independently from outer environmental conditions.

edit on 31/12/2010 by Arlestron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by hawkiye

Judging by the boats along side it, it doesn't appear to be very big..
Also, is that a reactor on top?
If so, it must be quite small and I'd wonder why the didn't facilitate cooling under the craft instead..

From the diagram it looks to me like it does provide cooling from underneath there is a section there that says Cold storage.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Oh I love these type of things. I believe that besides space the ocean is one of the next frontiers.
This group is dedicated to that.

At The Seasteading Institute, we believe that experiments are the source of all progress: to find something better, you have to try something new.

But right now, there is no open space for experimenting with new societies. That's why we work to enable seasteading communities -- floating cities -- which will allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for government. The most successful can then inspire change in governments around the world.

seasteading.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by csulli456

I guess it never hurts to be prepared.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Not going to happen can't tax or regulate it if it's more than 12 miles out and stays there if I recall

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Not going to happen can't tax or regulate it if it's more than 12 miles out and stays there if I recall

That's the whole point. If it is in international waters who is going to stop it? True freedom perhaps?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Pretty cool a bit like this Freedom Ship. Thing is though as soon as any of these types of structures comes into international waters someone will want a piece of the revenue or hold it to ransom, blow it up ect ect.

I can't see there being any place on the planet that a person or community could live truely free without some goverment trying to rule them.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
Pretty cool a bit like this Freedom Ship. Thing is though as soon as any of these types of structures comes into international waters someone will want a piece of the revenue or hold it to ransom, blow it up ect ect.

I can't see there being any place on the planet that a person or community could live truely free without some goverment trying to rule them.

Well technically if you are in international waters you are under no jurisdiction. However you are right some government will try and get a piece of you eventually. Maybe need a couple aircraft carriers and destroyers to go with it

edit on 4-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join