It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

63 Percent of Americans Oppose War In Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
My guess is that the actual percentage on a national scale is much higher than this.

Our country is falling to pieces while the military Industrial complex and war profiteers shuttle trillions of tax-payer dollars into these excursions, month after month, year after year, with NOTHING to show for it.

The masses are TIRED of this nonsense. But I'm sure Washington will continue to turn its deaf ear on us, as usual.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Opposition to the war in Afghanistan is at an all-time high, with 63 percent of the public now opposed to U.S. involvement there, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey. Just 35 percent of survey respondents say they still support U.S. involvement.

The increase in opposition to U.S. involvement comes as pessimism about how the war is going is rising. According to a poll done Dec. 17-19, 56 percent of the public believes that "things are going badly for the U.S. in Afghanistan."

Continued:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Well it's about time. These wars have been going on for the last ten years yet America is finally realizing hey
maybe a war with no objective and vaguely defined enemy is not such a good idea.
I wonder how the hawks are going to try to spin the Iran war.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I've said this so many time to so many people over the years: We went in to a country were we had zero experience with it's terrain, it's culture & customs, and flagrantly vilified it's religion. Remind me how we expected to gain good ground with the people again? We ran in there akin to drunken soccer fans flailing weapons at the opposition fans (metaphorically speaking)

And yet, no one, for years, wanted to admit what a dismal failure going in was. People are still reluctant to admit it, but at least people are beginning to reflect on the past near-decade and admit it wasn't the brightest of ideas.

As for the military's Afghan budget? I wouldn't be objecting so much to it if we were spending it on troops in Mexico. Now THERE is a glaring, dangerous problem, and one spilling over into our country that needs intervention.
Protecting our country? Half a world away? Please.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
And right on cue...

Afghan war to escalate in 2011

A senior officer of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said on Monday that the war in Afghanistan would escalate in 2011 as the coalition pursues militants. “There is no end to the fighting season; we need to keep pressure on the Taliban all over the country,” ISAF spokesman Brigadier General Joseph Blotz said. “We will see more violence in 2011.”

Full Story:

www.hindustantimes.com...

Pretty much an in-our-faces, "Who CARES what you want, peons?"

I would bet that even if disapproval reached 99%, these war-mongers and profiteers would STILL carry right on with the insanity. They won't be happy till they completely bankrupt the entire nation.

As long as they can run off into the sunset with their own riches, why should they. Ugh.

www.hindustantimes.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I would say, realistically, it's about 99.9999. The Pro-War group consists of PNAC members and maybe Rumsfelds groupies.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I participated in protests marches against the Iraq war even before troops were deployed because I knew the results were going to be disastrous. Yet I and the fellow people who were outspoken in this were in the minority there was virtually no opposition. I guess the MIC learned everything they needed about silencing the opposition during the Vietnam War. Basically they know how to market war and control any dissent and block all media that shows the realties of whats going on over the last 10 years I have lost a lot of faith in my fellow Americans.
Even if people knew what was really going on there is such an atmosphere of fear that it is hard to speak up.
I The feel the wars all have long term multiple objectives. Many of them have already been achieved like the erosion of civil liberties and the creation of a homeland industrial security complex.

edit on 31-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

top topics

join