It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual Roswell Newspaper Text - The "Smoking Gun" - NO UFO!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I know that a lot of you members are very knowledgeable about Roswell and the alleged UFO crash and removal of alien bodies. But I find by what I read here that the knowledge is a far cry from the truth, as reported at the time. So I always say, go to the original sources whenever possible. And if you rely only on the modern interpretations by authors who find the truth is not as interesting as fantasy, your knowledge is questionable also. The following is what everyone in Roswell read in the local newspapers. If there had been a real UFO crash, there is no way that it would have been kept secret and from that day on our lives would have been changed. The fact that the event was forgotten about until 1980 gives credence that nothing otherwordly came down near Roswell. The only thing separating a weather balloon, which had been known about by the locals, from what was found was a secret project. Read on and acquaint yourself with the unvarnished truth.

Roswell Daily Record
Tuesday, July 8, 1947

RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch in Roswell Region
No Details of Flying Disk Are Revealed

Roswell Hardware Man and Wife Report Disk Seen

The intelligence office of the 509th Bombardment group at Roswell Army Field announced at noon today, that the field has come into possession of a flying saucer.

According to information released by the department, over authority of Maj. J. A. Marcel, intelligence officer, the disk was recovered on a ranch in the Roswell vicinity, after an unidentified rancher had notified Sheriff Geo. Wilcox, here, that he had found the instrument on his premises.

Major Marcel and a detail from his department went to the ranch and recovered the disk, it was stated.

After the intelligence officer here had inspected the instrument it was flown to higher headquarters.

The intelligence office stated that no details of the saucer's construction or its appearance had been revealed.

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilmot apparently were the only persons in Roswell who seen what they thought was a flying disk.

They were sitting on their porch at 105 South Penn. last Wednesday night at about ten o'clock when a large glowing object zoomed out of the sky from the southeast, going in a northwesterly direction at a high rate of speed.

www.roswellufofestival.com...

---------------------------------------------

July 9, 1947 article:
Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer
Ramey Says Excitement is Not Justified
General Ramey Says Disk is Weather Balloon

Fort Worth, Texas, July 9 (AP) An examination by the army revealed last night that mysterious objects found on a lonely New Mexico ranch was a harmless high-altitude weather balloon - not a grounded flying disk. Excitement was high until Brig. Gen. Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth air forces with headquarters here cleared up the mystery.

The bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams and rubber remnants of a balloon were sent here yesterday by army air transport in the wake of reports that it was a flying disk.

---------------------------------------------

Roswell Daily Record, Wednesday, July 9, 1947:
W. W. Brazel, 48, Lincoln county rancher living 30 miles south of Corona, today told his story of finding what the army at first described as a flying disk, but the publicity which attended his find caused him to add that if he ever found anything else short of a bomb, he sure wasn't going to say anything about it.

Brazel was brought here late yesterday by W. E. Whitmore, of radio station KGFL, had his picture taken and gave an interview to the Record and Jason Kellahin, sent here from the Albuquerque bureau of the Associated Press to cover the story. The picture he posed for was sent out over AP telephoto wire sending machine specially set up in the Record office by R. D. Adair, AP wire chief sent here from Albuquerque for the sole purpose of getting out his picture and that of sheriff George Wilcox, to whom Brazel originally gave the information of his find.

Brazel related that on June 14 he and an 8-year old son, Vernon, were about 7 or 8 miles from the ranch house of the J. B. Foster ranch, which he operates, when they came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up on rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper and sticks.

edit on 31/12/10 by masqua because: Trimmed external content, added ex tags and links

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
OK, but what is new here? Really? And as far as stating that this is the ' unvarnished truth'...well with respect, that is laughable!
You, like myself, have absolutely no way of knowing exactly what the truth is.

edit on 30-12-2010 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Me thinks thou dost protest too much...

it's getting old...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Quote: The bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams and rubber remnants of a balloon were sent here yesterday by army air transport in the wake of reports that it was a flying disk.

Really?....This is the most ridiculous part of the whole post! I'm laughing so hard I think i just peed myself!!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Well it would come as no surprise to me that it wasn't an alien craft. And I wouldn't be disappointed either. But I doubt too many of the believers are going to see MSM news articles as being a smoking gun. Good luck with this. Hope you have some aspirin on hand.

BTW. S&F because I always seem to learn a little something from both sides in debates like this one.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Dude flying saucer disks are real. I saw it with my own eyes. Close enough to identify it's shape as a round disk.

You know what I thought when I first saw that?

"Those are REAL????!!!"

And since you guys are so happily naively convinced that it can't POSSIBLY be true, I will enjoy it very much if I could get to see the looks on your faces when you find out how misled you have actually been.

It doesn't matter what crashed at Roswell to me. It matters what I actually saw in 1999.

Since I saw a complete classic metallic saucer fly by, that made no sound at all, it would only follow that there is a potential chance that it was totally a saucer craft they actually found at Roswell. It's well within the realm of possibility obviously since they apparently exist somehow.

It doesn't matter if you believe me. It only matters if you have seen it yourself so you would know the truth first hand. IF you have already witnessed that truth, than you will know how incredibly accurate my post is.

And the last line of wishful thinking and hopeful desperation, is to say flying saucers are human technology 100%. The absolute best you are going to achieve, is the possibility that it might be like 10,000 year old technology that was buried and rediscovered by us and reverse engineered. Maybe even humans from the future, that's a reasonable guess as well...

No matter which way you cut this one, your "official story" bs is gonna come crashing down hard one day. And it's going to be hilarious.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

1999....the same year i saw a cigar shaped one in dallas...it was 380 feet long, and looked like titanium.....could have been man made, but it had no sun reflection off the nose like all the md-80's and 757's going by that morning had....dallas 1030 am in the springtime ...on a ground track to take it over dallas love field, on a heading of 350, at about 4000 AGL...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
title says "Actual Roswell Newspaper Text"

Where is the newspaper clipping or source link? Why are there no external source links?

Or did you write this piece yourself?

After all.. rules is rules

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Zorgon brought to my attention that I was derelict in providing sources for the articles. I found sources that you can visit to verify the text I included in the OP.

This source is for the first article.
www.angelfire.com...

This source is for the first article plus the second article.
www.weird-encyclopedia.com...

This source is for the third article.
www.angelfire.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
title says "Actual Roswell Newspaper Text"

Where is the newspaper clipping or source link? Why are there no external source links?

Or did you write this piece yourself?

After all.. rules is rules

When you're right, you're right! Not often, but it counts in heaven!

Anyways, by now you've seen that I corrected my error. BTW, if you think I wrote the stuff myself, thanks.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Dude flying saucer disks are real. I saw it with my own eyes. Close enough to identify it's shape as a round disk.

You know what I thought when I first saw that?

"Those are REAL????!!!"

And since you guys are so happily naively convinced that it can't POSSIBLY be true, I will enjoy it very much if I could get to see the looks on your faces when you find out how misled you have actually been.
(snip)

You don't know what you're talking about with this "...you guys are so happily naively convinced that it can't POSSIBLY be true, I will enjoy it very much if I could get to see the looks on your faces when you find out how misled you have actually been." I'm an outspoken supporter of the reality of UFOs. I'm an "experiencer". I've had 6 sightings and videotaped one. Get a hold of yourself, man. Don't say something of which you don't know its veracity. You can guess, you can speculate, you can be wrong.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Since when did newspapers print the truth? Newspapers on one of the worst at printing some complete crap on the front page, ruining some poor buggers life and then apologising later in a tiny section on P27 if they have to. Its all tomorrows chip paper.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterBurns
Since when did newspapers print the truth? Newspapers on one of the worst at printing some complete crap on the front page, ruining some poor buggers life and then apologising later in a tiny section on P27 if they have to. Its all tomorrows chip paper.

Now aint that the truth! Plus....they print what they are fed. I imagine that in this particular case we are seeing some truth and a whole lot of fiction.
Somethings haven't changed huh?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo

The bundle of tinfoil, broken wood beams and rubber remnants of a balloon were sent here yesterday by army air transport in the wake of reports that it was a flying disk.
Really?....This is the most ridiculous part of the whole post! I'm laughing so hard I think i just peed myself!!!!!
Irving Newton was laughing too! So you aren't the only one!

From The Roswell Report-1994 (p24-25):

Irving Newton, Major, USAF (Ret), was located and interviewed.
Newton was a weather officer assigned to Fort Worth, who was on duty when
the Roswell debris was sent there in July, 1947. He was told that he was to report
to General Ramey’s office to view the material. In a signed, sworn statement
(Atch 30) Newton related that I‘. I walked into the General’s office where this
supposed flying saucer was lying all over the floor. As soon as I saw it, I giggled
and asked if that was the flying saucer I told them that this was a balloon
and a RAWIN target. . . .” Newton also stated that “. while I was examining
the debris, Major Marcel was picking up pieces of the target sticks and trying to
convince me that some notations on the sticks were alien writings. There were
figures on the sticks, lavender or pink in color, appeared to be weather faded
markings, with no rhyme or reason [sic]. He did not convince me that these were
alien writings.” Newton concluded his statement by relating that “. . During the
ensuing years I have been interviewed by many authors, I have been quoted and
misquoted. The facts remain as indicated above.
It's interesting how two people can look at the exact same thing and see two different things, but I see it on ATS all the time, someone posts a video of a light in the sky and one person sees a plane and another person sees a UFO, and they're both looking at the same object!

Apparently Jesse Marcel and Irving Newton looked at the same material and Marcel thought it showed alien writing but Newton didn't. But their description of it being basically foil is consistent.
edit on 31-12-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix tags

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Hello everybody!

Of course I appreciate it, when people try to seperate facts from fiction, but I fear I don't really get your point, Shrike. You say, that the original article of 1947 shows no explanation that would support the conclusion, that an UFO (i. e. "a flying saucer") went down on that Roswell farm.

But the article you quote tells us about a Mr. Wilmot, whose words give us a description, that exactly fits the picture of those so called "flying saucers"!

You quote the article as follows:

In appearance it looked oval in shape like two inverted saucers, faced mouth to mouth, or like two old type washbowls placed, together in the same fashion. The entire body glowed as though light were showing through from inside, though not like it would inside, though not like it would be if a light were merely underneath.

If the words in the article are really the truth, then we've got somone here, who saw this things with his own eyes (and as we can read, his wife also saw it).

Another information we can gather by reading the article, is the grade of credibility those Wilmots own in their community:

Wilmot, who is one of the most respected and reliable citizens in town, kept the story to himself hoping that someone else would come out and tell about having seen one, but finally today decided that he would go ahead and tell about it. The announcement that the RAAF was in possession of one came only a few minutes after he decided to release the details of what he had seen.

So we've not just someone who saw something down, that he described in detail as a "flying saucer". This person also seems to be a reliable source.

And finally, we also can gather the information from the same article, that the RAAF itself thought, it came into the possesion of a flying saucer.

Of course we all know, that this explanation was later replaced by Ramey etc. for a more "comfortable" explanation of the incident.

The Air Force officials told us, it was just a wheater balloon. Fine! But there's one thing we should consider... Try to imagine it's shape (or look here: en.wikipedia.org... and here www.scienceclarified.com...), and then try to imagine, how it would go down.

I'm no aviation expert, but I'd assume, that a wheater balloon would down more like a stone and not so much like a feather. But, of course, I'd assume, that it would take a relatively straight (vertical) way down.

Because of it's vertical shape it lacks a lot of the dynamic it would need to take a long, horizontal fall.

So let's look at the shape of the thing the Wilmots saw down:

From where he stood Wilmot said that the object looked to be about 5 feet in size, and making allowance for the distance it was from town he figured that it must have been 15 to 20 feet in diameter, though this was just a guess.

As we can get from that quote, it's most prominent feature wasn't it's size (about 5 feet), but it's width (15 to 20 feet in diameter).

What's the most prominent feature of a wheater balloon (or more precisely, a high-altitude balloon)? By just looking at the picture (archives.starbulletin.com...) I'd say, that it's most prominent feature is it's height, and not so much it's width.

Though, Mr. Wilmot only seemed to have guessed the proportions of the thing he saw down, one thing should be sure: That he was able to separate size from width. And according to the description of the thing Mr. Wilmot saw go down, the value of the width of the thing was significantly higher than the value of its size.

So then... there are two possibilities: Either, the balloon changed it's position from a vertical one to a horizontal one, so that it's new width woul be significant higher than it's new size (but that would be a highly unlikely behavior keeping in mind it's design, keyword: balance point), or...

it was no wheater balloon...

Ok, maybe I'm wrong, I'm no aviation expert. Just recalling my experiences I gathered in my childhood when playing with balloons. And usually, Balloons went straight up into the sky, and usually they came the same way back, when they were no more capable of flying.

So when I read the accounts of the Wilmots, then I have some real difficulties to relate their description of the fall of the thing to the style, a balloon would fall. Not just because of the described features of the thing, that significantly don't fit the features of a common weather balloon.

It was also the speed of the object's fall:

Wilmot said that it appeared to him to be about 1,500 feet high and going fast. He estimated between 400 and 500 miles per hour.

400 to 500 miles per hour are a lot. I'm not sure if there were planes in 1947 that were that fast. And I've great difficulties, that a downing weather balloon could develop such a speed during it's fall down to earth.

Maybe, if it fall in a vertical way down, and if the apparatures of the weather balloon were heavy enough, it could have reached a fall velocity of 400 to 500 miles per hour.

But, according to the description of Mr. Wilmot, it didn't fall in a straight vertical way. It downed in a more horizontal way, with 400 to 500 miles per hour.

I try to imagine, what the weather should have been like, that the weather ballon could have developped 400 to 500 miles per hour (in a hight of just 1,500 feet!!).

It should have been a VERY windy day, I'd assume...

I have to apologize for my bad english, it isn't my first language, and I got some headache, but I hope, someone is able to understand, what I meant...

A happy new year to all of you!

edit on 31/12/10 by Peloquin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The story is not what crashed, the story is why the Airforce changed the details so many times.

They don't seem to know what crashed that was theirs and yet what could it have been if it needed cover story to this day, what could they have possibly been flying that still needs confidentiality as I presume each new truth released was as corrupt as the previous one.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
If you really believe that it was just a 'weather balloon' that was recovered in Roswell in 1947 then you should review the information at the Web site below and answer the questions toward the bottom of the page for us. I would sure like answers to those questions.

Roswell Link

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFlash
If you really believe that it was just a 'weather balloon' that was recovered in Roswell in 1947 then you should review the information at the Web site below and answer the questions toward the bottom of the page for us. I would sure like answers to those questions.

Roswell Link

A star and Id give you a few hundred flags if I could!!

What a brilliant piece that was to read and I have to admit that after a few years of ' Roswell' research I have never seen that before. Now THERE are some of the logical questions that The Shrike likes!! So some response would be great huh?

Great post and wonderful link!!

ETA: Happy New Year to all of you! We are nearly 4 hours into 2011 here in NZ .

edit on 31-12-2010 by annella because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2010 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

Actual Roswell Newspaper Text - The "Smoking Gun" - NO UFO!

Yeah, a cap gun!

I know that a lot of you members are very knowledgeable about Roswell and the alleged UFO crash and removal of alien bodies. But I find by what I read here that the knowledge is a far cry from the truth, as reported at the time. So I always say, go to the original sources whenever possible.

Well, that’s really a good advice, therefore it’s also good to listen very carefully to what this man say about it.

1984 Interview with Major Jesse Marcel sr.

Therefore I really find what you did posted here indeed a far cry from the truth.

July 9, 1947 article:
Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer
Ramey Says Excitement is Not Justified
General Ramey Says Disk is Weather Balloon

Fort Worth, Texas, July 9 (AP) An examination by the army revealed last night that mysterious objects found on a lonely New Mexico ranch was a harmless high-altitude weather balloon - not a grounded flying disk. Excitement was high until Brig. Gen. Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth air forces with headquarters here cleared up the mystery.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't understand where you're getting your information from or if you're just playing around with semantics and dates? UFO verses Flying Saucer/Disc? July 8th verses July 9th?
Is that your position and point?

Actual radio announcement:
Complete original audio broadcast.
www.roswellproof.com...

Taylor Grant: Headline Edition, July 8th, 1947. The Army Air Forces has announced that a flying disk has been found and is now in the possession of the Army. Army officers say the missile, found sometime last week, has been inspected at Roswell, New Mexico, and sent to Wright Field, Ohio, for further inspection. (commercial break)

[The American Broadcasting Company and affiliated stations presents Headline Edition with Taylor Grant... Today's edition presents a roundup of the latest developments in the finding of a flying disk......To stay in step with history in the making, stay tuned to Headline Edition. And now here's Taylor Grant.]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join