It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soul Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have been thinking for the thast few days about what we humans call the soul and I am now curious to see what opinions folks on ATS/BTS have about the subject. I want to start out with a few questions in an effort to see where folks stand and I am hoping for perspectives from all religions or non religions on the subject.

1. Do you belive humans have souls?

1a. If so why do you believe this and if not why do you believe humans do not?

2. Do animals have souls?

2a. If so why do you believe this and if not why do you believe animals do not?

3. What in your opinion separates humans from other animals or are we humans no different.

3a. If humans are different or superior to animals do you believe that we have have special responibilities.

4. If humans and or animals have a soul what happens to that soul after death of the physical body?

5. If humans and or animals have a soul can that soul be damaged while it is in a physical body and if so what actions can damage the soul.

I am just looking for opinions and perspectives on the Soul subject all views are welcomed and respected by me I hope for a clean honest discussion, I will answer with my opinons on the subject of souls if I can get a decent amount of responses.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Studies have been done,and when a person dies ,they usually lose about 3 ounces.It proves a soul actually some weight.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I just made an account. So I would do the best to answer your question. I believe humans and animals have souls. We are reincarnated after we die.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Both humans and animals have souls.They can be damaged just like a body part.So when you die,alot of people choose to stay idle before taking another physical life.Some choose to never take another physical life.Planet earth is a tough existence because of the harsh weather patterns,the constant struggle for food and money,all sorts of emotional and physical distress.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

Hey DarkStormCrow!

As a person who claims no religion, but who is spiritual in his own way, I will take a poke at this...

Yes I do. Definitely. Whether or not this soul is eternal, a side effect of consciousness, simple energy that will alter form when we die, I cannot say. But looking deeply into another persons eyes makes it hard to believe that there isn't an inspiritos, or divine spark contained within them.

I inadvertently answered this in my reply to question one, but I will elaborate a bit. I believe in the idea of a "soul" because direct observable evidence suggests it. Individual awareness and identity, to me, suggest it as well. There is definitely an aspect of "me" that simple math doesn't seem to be able to break down to simple cause and effect. I have emotions. I have desires. These things don't seem requisite for biological life, and, therefore, I feel that they must somehow transcend the parameters of the biological.

I truly believe they do. I have had two pets, one a dog, and the other a ferret, that I shared a deep, deep emotional bond with. And there were moments of emotional intimacy and connection with these animals that proved to me that they were aware of this bond as well. There were moments when I looked into their eyes and recognized the divine spark.

Jumped the gun again and explained in the previous entry.

3. What in your opinion separates humans from other animals or are we humans no different.

Other than intellectual capacity for things like communication and the use of tools, I don't think there is much that differentiates us from animals. We tend to want to ascribe our more noble traits as "human" but anyone who has been close to animals will tell you that these noble behaviors are not just a human phenomenon.

3a. If humans are different or superior to animals do you believe that we have have special responibilities.

I think that we, as humans... as aware and conscientious beings.. have a responsibility to try and care for all life that is within our sphere of influence.

In a larger sense, if you are thinking in terms of Gaia and the damage we are doing to our world... Well, the way I see it, we aren't much different than ants. We just build way more complicated and bigger ant hills.

4. If humans and or animals have a soul what happens to that soul after death of the physical body?

I'd love to think that, when I die, I'll find myself in a room, or in a field, surrounded by all those whom I loved and who went before me. Unfortunately this is a hard belief for me to hold onto.

I do find comfort in the reality that, if death is simply death, and nothing more, then the loss of my individuality will not matter because I will be incapable of recognizing that I ever existed.

5. If humans and or animals have a soul can that soul be damaged while it is in a physical body and if so what actions can damage the soul.

Minds can be damaged, so I assume that our essence can also suffer insult. Victimization seems to be the one constant in the myriad of things which can truly hurt a mind. When others take our power and subject us to their power - the results are never healthy.

I am just looking for opinions and perspectives on the Soul subject all views are welcomed and respected by me I hope for a clean honest discussion, I will answer with my opinons on the subject of souls if I can get a decent amount of responses.

I know my answers here were a bit vague, but I hope that they'll add something to your discussion!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I dont have a soul I sold it down at the cross roads to learn to play geetar

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent
I dont have a soul I sold it down at the cross roads to learn to play geetar

Lol i did last year too but the devil mustnt have wanted it cos im not much better...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

No I don't Believe. I know from direct and personal experience.

Because my life's experiences have shown me that we.. our small part Being human... is just a puppet or vehicle for the Soul to gain Experiences in this dense physical realm. And that the Soul is doing this as portions of the Source/Universe/god in order for It to come to know Itself and It's Capabilities.

Yes.

All Self-Aware lifeforms are Soul based, otherwise they cannot be Self-Aware. Observe animals and you will eventually notice that they think about making decisions that aren't solely based on Food or Comfort.

That we are upright walkers with two opposable thumbs, hence we can manufacture tools to greater tolerances and usage than say Crows, Monkeys, etc. Which is why we have technology in use when animals are limited by their ability to manufacture increasingly more complex structures. And, that animals in general are happy to be what they are.. so to speak, while we humans are not.. we push the envelope with each breath to be something we are not.

Humans are not Superior to anything, with the exception of development of technologies. Our unbalanced Ego is what allows us to Think we are Superior.

In fact we are possibly the most Retarded species in that we do not adapt well to our environment, instead we alter it to suit our desires rather than our Basic, Real needs.

Easy! From direct experience I can say that the small portion of Soul residing within the body leaves it. And since this energetic awareness has been locked-in for so long it Thinks it is a separate entity belonging to the physical realm. Hence many get caught in the Belief-System Territories where they create their own reality based on their Beliefs about Everything.

Not until they begin to Wake-Up are they able to see what they have created and then move on to the Light.. which does actually exist and emanates from the highest level of the Astral realms at a point of Awareness Monroe calls Focus 27.

Those who make it into the Light also undergo a short phase of Waking Up from the Dream of LIfe. This is something I have been honoured to watch often after taking the dead across into the Light.

No. There is nothing a small-human can do to harm the huge and powerful Soul. People think way too small.

The Soul is massive, it does not reside within the body... only a small portion of it is able to reside within the physical. The larger part of it is active in every single level of Awareness through the Astral and on into SOul levels of Awareness.

In which case an atom in the arm of the Soul can do it no harm whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

There is no evidence of it, so believe is a strong word. I am open to the possibility and actively do seek out some personal evidence.

Many reasons that would fill up alot of space as to why I keep a very open mind about it.

Still trying to figure out of intelligence exists outside of physical form...the animal question is a whole different can of worms. But, I would be equally open to that also in all things being fair

If its found that the human animal has a "soul", aka, some sort of concious existance outside of the physical form, then perhaps some of the more clever species would have equal chance of said existance.

Everything I could write is subjective. I could say poetry, but an animal may have that also, just in a form we cannot understand beyond...barking, or squeeking, or whatever else they do. Perhaps a squirrel has the same amount of tech we have, just in a very different and unrecognisable form to us in the same way they seem to not really see what we build beyond something to jump on.

Well, we are superior in regards to we have no predators that are not in binds. top of the food chain and whatnot. Special responsibilities? hmm...we screw up the environment alot, therefore we must be the ones to clean up our mess. doubtful that raccoons are going to start fishing out toxic waste in our rivers and whatnot.

I think step 1 is to figure out if there is a soul beyond a shadow of a doubt before speculating what happens to it. I would like to think that if we indeed do have one, we go to heaven and get unlimited candy and women for eternity, or perhaps get to fly around in space and explore whatever we want..but, meh, its like speculating what you would do if you suddenly gained magical powers...sort of a moot point until magic is proven to begin with.

Depends on what a soul would be made of. If it is some sort of conscious energy field, then I would think wavelengths that would counter or disrupt said fields wouldn't be very good for it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
1. Do you believe humans have souls?

Yes I believe we humans have a souls.

I can not prove that we have a soul, it is firmly a belief without direct evidence or proof. I have been physically dead 2 times and I do not remember leaving my body or a journey into the light or hellfire as the case may be, possibly I was not dead long enough for my soul to leave the body I just know that I had no experience. That being said I believe that all humans carry a divine spark within them, I see it in thier eyes, when they cry or when they laugh even in the most mundane movements and facial expressions. Sometimes it seems I can tell a good soul and a bad soul just from the eyes of the human encountered.

I believe that animals have what I would term spirits which in short from my view a younger version of the soul.

I think than animals are more centered on true needs then on desires as humans are they are for the most part content and learning, I believe that when an animal dies its spirit graduates to a soul and it incarnates into a human physical form.

I think humans are closer to what I would consider the divine animals are not quite as close as humans but are learning just as humans are and will grow ever closer to the divine.

Yes we as humans having full souls and being closer to the divine have a reaponsibility and stewardship over the planet and all the creatures in it. Humans who take an animal life for food have a responsibilty to do so quickly and painlessly as possible and not take the life and gift of the animal lightly. To me an animal suck as a lion kills for need and does not yet have the capability to merciful to its prey this is one thing that I believe seperates us from other animals we have the ability to be merciful.

For animals I believe there is a delay as thier spirit becomes a full soul and then reincarnates into a human body.
For humans I believe we have the capabilty to become one with the divine unless the soul is damage while in the physical body which makes it incapable or rejected by the divine.

I do not believe that animals can damage the spirit that inhabits thier bodies, spirits are more primal and subject more to instinct than to reason.

Humans on the other hand can definitely cause damage to the souls which inhabit thier physical bodies. With are ability to reason and make decisions that go against primal instinct. When we do harm to others out of cruelty or spite we damage the soul and seperate it from the divine. I belive that when you look into someones eyes and see a bad person what that soul is showing you is the seperation from the divine. I believe that when a humans physical form has damage the soul to a certain extent that that soul is no longer capable of merging with the divine at death and that soul ceases to exist after the physical death.

I am enjoying some of the perspectives and answers and am much appreciative of the input. I have for the past week been trying to put definitions on what I truly believe about life and death about my place and responsiblities as a being on this planet and what happens to "me" after death and if even "me" truly continues to exist.

To me the Divine is whatever belief you believe in wether it is Allah, God, Buddah, Kali, Odin, The Goddess, or what ever I am non discriminatory with that all is equal and valid approaches to the divine as far as I am concerned.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have been thinking for the thast few days about what we humans call the soul and I am now curious to see what opinions folks on ATS/BTS have about the subject. I want to start out with a few questions in an effort to see where folks stand and I am hoping for perspectives from all religions or non religions on the subject.

Yes...it is the part of us that remains childlike even when we grow old...it is the reason why many in their immediate families feel they don't truly belong to their family, because their family is so much different from that individual. It is the part that loves, it is the intuition, it is WHO YOU ARE. I appreciate the comment about the 3 oz. lost at death, because that is when the soul departs from the dead, lifeless body (suitcase for the soul). Ever think while viewing a fvriend or family member that they just don't look like themselves? It is because they TRULY are gone...you are just seeing their suitcase.

I believe this because my inner child (my soul, or spirit) really gets disappointed with my aging body's inability to do the things the worn suitcase once could. among other lengthy reasons.

I think some do...hence the different personalities.

Differing personality traits...

We walk upright, we kill, clean, and then cook our food...they just kill and eat it raw. We have to have tools to build homes in which we then light and cool/heat...they don't need such amenities. Other than that, we are basically the same, save many animals walk on all fours.

In the Word, we are called to be stewards of the earth and to take care of it and the animals.

It rests and awaits Judgement Day....or it wanders the Earth or place of death if A.) They were non-believers. Or B.) Their death was tramatic or untimely and they are not aware that they died. I don't really know about animal souls, but I would think they also rest until Judgement day, although I am pretty sure they do not face Judgement.

Yes, abusive words and actions do damage to the soul...but if the abuse was not too damaging, or long-term, there the ability to heal that soul, just as with bodily damage. However, some souls are sadly, damaged beyond earthly repair.

**Please note, these are just my personal beliefs and opinions and should be respected as such...not open to mockery or ridicule.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I am a Pantheist, while the exact definition of which can have minor parts up to argument the core principle is that god is all and all is god. Everything in my view is connected and has a spirit both animate and inanimate objects. Defining spirit because subject to interpretation as well since we obviously recognize that a mountain cannot die and its soul leave that place so the exact definition of soul varies as well.

In particular I subscribe to Dualistic Pantheism, the belief that there are specifically two major types of substance in the world; Spiritual and Physical. All things are connected but separate such as the human body is divided up into different sections; skin, hair, cells, lung, heart, brain, arm, etc… It’s different sections and sections within sections but they all belong to the same single united entity.

At the same time all things have a soul, that is why some people have a unique yearning for certain geographic features or locations. Some people are unexplainably connected to the mountains or the water, it is where you find peace and deep connection. You cannot explain why you chose that specific feature to cling to but it just happens. That is the connection souls on the spiritual level which is separate yet still connected to the physical.

S+F

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I will have to base all my answers from what the Bible teaches regarding these questions of yours. I do not know if you find the Bible credible or not, but I do, and so I hope you'll understand that it is the only way I will answer your questions. That being the case, I will have to post verses from scriptures and I hope you won't find it off-putting.

1. Do you belive humans have souls? 1a. If so why do you believe this

Yes, I do. Man is composed of body, soul, and spirit:

"May the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thess. 5:23)

No, they do not. Although the Bible is not explicit in telling us this, we have souls because we were made in God's image, in other words, we have the capacity to become holy and blameless just like God who created us; we have free will to choose between obedience and disobedience (Deut. 30:19), to do good or to do evil according to God, and because we have free will, we are accountable for the things we do in life.

What in your opinion separates humans from other animals or are we humans no different.

The Bible clearly shows the great difference between humans and animals. Here are a few:

First, humans and animals were created separately:

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, 'Let us make human beings' ..." (Gen. 1:24-26)

Second, God created man in his own image, while animals were not:

"So God created human beings in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." (Gen. 1:27)

Furthermore, man was given dominion over animals:

"Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” (Gen. 1:26)

If humans are different or superior to animals do you believe that we have have special responibilities.

Regarding man's responsibility to animals, this is what the Bible teaches:

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel." (Proverbs 12:10)

The Bible teaches that the dead are in the grave:

"Adrift among the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom You remember no more, and who are cut off from Your hand." (Ps. 88:5)

While the aforementioned verse does not specify the soul, could it be possible that only the body is in the grave and not the soul? God Himself declared:

"Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine; the soul who sins shall die." (Ezek. 18:4)

The Bible makes it clear that the soul dies. No only does it die, but it also goes to the grave together with the body:

"For our soul is bowed down to the dust; our body clings to the ground." (Ps. 44:25)

So, when a person dies, both the body and soul go to the grave and stay there not just for a short period of time. In other words, not just for three days, as some superstitiously believe. When a person dies, he will stay in the grave until Judgment Day:

"But man dies and is laid away; indeed he breathes his last and where is he? So man lies down and does not rise. Till the heavens are no more, they will not awake nor be roused from their sleep." (Job 14:10, 12)

top topics

join