It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracking an eggshell?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well i kinda like the brownie theory....but lets apply it to say a cake....the cake is cooked...loking real yummy....and your just about to remove it from the oven...the cake epells gases...in the forn of stem and voila'....you now have a huge crator.
I think the Makes a svalid point....but what also needs to be taken into account that in most drilling as the gases and oil is remove they pump materials back into the viods...to stop this very thing from happening...now in the BP disaster...did they take the care and the time to pump materials back itno the void or was it all to quick.
Anyways Kudos to the Op for an enlightening read on yet another disaster to confront mankind...and your definately not crackingup...and the Edgar Cayce map is very very intersting...as i myself have a lot of respect for his predictions....they are Extremely pertinent to this very day.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wow, the scary part is that this is the most plausible super event prediction that there is, and it all makes perfect sense - it's not just random pieces of data trying to be connected, it's significant pieces of data that really ARE connected. All of my best friends live in areas that are going to be covered in water. That sucks majorly. haha. But let's hope it happens sometime in the far future... but, if the BP oil rig disaster was planned by TPTB instead of just an accident, it's safe to assume that they figured it would trigger an event fairly soon after the disaster. But, since we don't know for certain that was planned, it could just be an accidental tipping point which leads to human extinction, hahaha. Man, this is giving me chills. Thanks for posting this info though, it's always good to have an idea of what may be coming.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The Cayce map, which I'd never seen before, reminds me that several months ago there was an ATS member based somewhere in PA who had a child, three years old if I recall correctly, who was saying the east coast was going under water. The kid was having visions. Incidentally so is my kid about comets, but I think she could have been influenced by stuff she picked up at school so I don't make anything of it. Getting back to the three year old, I don't know how to find that thread again but this thread reminded me of that one and gave me the chills especially seeing my area shown under water. Your map is the first I've seen providing at least a summary view of the events of the past year for this part of the world and for that alone has value. However I wonder how and where the July quake in Maryland fits in. People tend to overlook it as insignificant but seeing as it ran directly under me and a few years prior I was plagued hearing a disturbing low frequency hum, it bears significance to me, anyway. Quakes of its size are a rare event in the known record of seismic activity for our normally quiet region.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Sorry to rain on your parade...but killing of say 100million people does not equal human extiction....it would be a horrible and devasting senario....but i am sure it would not be the end all and be all of the human population...but TPTB are planning a nice human cull of the world population so creating on purpose such disasters is not out of the realm of reality now is it.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiffer Nippets
Another bit of info I came across somewhere - The Salt Lake in Salt Lake City Utah is somehow connected to the Great Lakes. Was formed by the same system? I am not sure of the particulars of this.

...somewhere i read or was told (damned ol'timers syndrome, lol) that the great lakes were caused by an astroid hitting much further east and causing massive water displacement - which also created the st lawrence seaway and the erosion from all that caused the niagra escarpment...

...(with the same nearly-senile disclaimers above, lol) the great salt lake basin was flooded by sea water and i think that was blamed on an astroid too... couldve been the same one but i dont remember if thats how that story went or not...

...anyways, seems like the theory was based upon or included finding a massive pile of many types of dinosaur bones in a canyon in utah, all stacked up one on the other, predator and prey, and they couldnt have gotten that way naturally... they were pushed into the canyon by massive amounts of sea water...

...i think it was the same paper (or whatever) that said the explanation that the grand canyon was carved out by a river was wrong and that it was the receding salt water that created it as well as all the other massive beautifully carved canyons up there...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is probably going to sound stupid but... On the second map, the area of Mexico that is underwater - I wonder if that corresponds to the area the ancient Mayans occupied?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I won't worry until I see two large connecting quakes at Brazil's hump to the Central Mid Atlantic Ridge whenever this occurs I will be prepared to move inland until then I observe. Don't feel this is the time yet.

I hope everyone has a safe New Year's Eve

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Awesome thread,

When I was in high school my biology teacher made the prediction that when the fault line here finally goes its gunna be bad. (I'm in southern Indiana).

I also remember him saying it would start with a minor quake in Central Indiana (which just happened)

So im crossing my fingers hoping all this is wrong, but I have to agree with everything you said in the OP Mr. Redneck.

Jr.

Edit to add:

I am pretty much geology illiterate so forgive me but when i said "the fault here" I actually meant "when the fault forms or the plate cracks"

Forgive me as i really have no idea what I'm talking about
I thought it was interesting that you made pretty much the same prediction

edit on 31-12-2010 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I just want to say this is the stuff I come to ATS for - thoughtful, researched speculation. You've done your homework! I really appreciate this. It's the kind of work that compels me to do further research myself. I hope it does the same for others! This is the stuff that raises ATS from just a 'information' site or submission-aggregator-comment factory and brings it closer to a 'research facility'!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Your depiction of the plate boundary at California is wrong. The fault line there is strike-slip fault; the plates are sliding up and down along the side of each other - not pushing toward each other.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for showing up! As I said in the OP, I am no earthquake guru.

That said, the release of pressure has to have some effect. Either it will reduce the pressure of the oil/gas source or it will cause the size of the 'container' to decrease. The former will change the pressure gradients inside the rock strata surrounding the leak; the latter will cause a shift in the rock strata. That's simple physics.

If I gave the impression that I thought there was a large void full of oil/gas being tapped, please forgive me. You are correct that it is instead porous material with the pores containing the desired material. The physics is still the same, however, as stated above, the pressure release will either decrease the size of the reservoir or decrease the pressure in the reservoir. It cannot do anything else.

I just don't know how much it will decrease, or if the amount will be enough to have a significant effect on the fault lines or plates. That well was gushing for almost three months at a reported 70,000psi, and that is a lot of pressure! Still, I originally had assumed maybe not, but that last Indiana quake prompted me to at least toss the idea out.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Those are insets... unfortunately, Scallion apparently has no concern for countries other than the USA.

It is hard to make out on that small image, though, so don't feel bad. The full size isn't available on the web except to purchase.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Its called post glacial rebound effect.

Look up the video on you tube.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

There is still a pressure component. The slipping action is caused by the angle between the Pacific/Atlantic Rifts and the San Andreas. It's the same principle used in wedges: a force in one direction can be used to apply force in another direction by using an angled force transfer.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
what happened in the past hundreds of millions of years is the decrease in sea level which exposed florida.

if global warming is real and the ice caps do melt, then the flooding may occur.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If I am interpreting that diagram right, of the big "bump" appearing in the flat limestone layer, does this mean if it continues it could potentially erupt into a new volcano?

It reminds me again of how Paricutin just came up suddenly one day in Mexico.
Here is some info on that.

This is pretty surprising too.

The volcano began as a fissure in a cornfield owned by a P'urhépecha farmer, Dionisio Pulido, on February 20, 1943. Pulido, his wife, and their son all witnessed the initial eruption of ash and stones first-hand as they plowed the field. The volcano grew quickly, reaching five stories tall in just a week, and it could be seen from afar in a month.

wiki
paricutin history
more resources

I am not saying there is any similarity between the two. It was just a good example of a surprise volcanic formation event.

I would think if a volcanic rift formed somewhere it would take 100s of years and dozens of build up events. So it's just complete speculation of course.

Another nearby neighboring geological feature of interest.
blake river megacaldera complex

Could new great lakes potentially form over the next 20,000 years? What's going on here exactly?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I definitely applaud the effort you put into this. However, I think we're looking at something that is....millions if not billions of years away from happening. The Mid-continent Rift System was formed over 1 billion years ago. The edges of it are still visible in some areas of the country such as the UP of Michigan and other parts are literally 5-10miles under the dirt. To say that this could happen again is feasible. However, you have to look at a 1 billion year timeline and ask yourself how long something like this would take to happen. My guess is that it would be so minute, that we really aren't even noticing it.

Perhaps in 100 years from now, we can look back and be able to say something has changed ever so slightly.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Great thread Redneck.

In traveling in the western US, over the last three years I have noticed what once was level roads now have a lot of damage, cracks even where the road surface is only months old. These are not pot-holes but dips and humps forming in the roads that were not there before. In many places if you drive the speed limit or faster it will beat you to death, rapid ups and downs and causes real problems with suspension systems and alignment. In some places rocks and huge boulders fall onto the highways constantly. Heck in some places the road is tilting so far left or right that you have to fight with the steering wheel to keep a vehicle on the road.... The thing that bothers me is that three years ago these same roads and highways were not like this.. It has become a never ending project for road crews, but in many places where they dig up the road and re-level it before adding a new surface, within relatively short time it gets the same damned unevenness... Now it is happening in the south, in Mississippi and Louisiana, drive I-20 across there some time and see how "lumpy" the highways are getting, even after extensive work has been done on it... In a lot of places in the west they just put up signs now that say things like "Road damage next 20 miles"

Maybe this is normal, but from what I have seen over the past three years, especially in the west, I believe something dynamic is going on deep down in the earth, sure a little movement would be normal, but in places this is not just a little, it is a lot, and at times roadways have been shut down so they could fill in the dip in the road and put asphalt on it.

Regardless I have learned from this that the earth is moving in places constantly with or without major earthquakes.

When you run the same roads a lot, you can see these changes over time.

edit on 31-12-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: clarifications were needed

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Just a wild and maybe impossible Speculation that i thought of...from what i read here,they Push Water in those Oil-Pockets to get the Oil out,right? What if this Water sinks lower and lower because of the Pressure from Above? Would that cool the Magma enough to effect the Moving of the Plates in those Areas where theres Drilling?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

What's that Chinese saying? Something like, "Mountains become plains; plains become seas; seas become mountains."

...When I was a kid, not so long ago really, we were taught that the earth has always been the way it is now (was then) - that old maps showing different coastlines and contours resulted from incompetency, not different geography.

About 30 years ago, academics and authorities started admitting that things DO change - but insisted it could only happen very, very slowly.

Now, there is a general recognition that sometimes geophysical changes can happen quite quickly - often as the result of earthquakes and volcanic activity.

...Seems like we're being re-educated and re-programmed for a reason.

Ed to add: OH YEAH! Great work. S&F

edit on 31/12/10 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 31/12/10 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join