It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracking an eggshell?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This will be complicated to explain , but i will try , don't be mad if my english isn't my best language

One thing that make fear on my mind is the St-Laurence Paleorift . It's start on the northwest side of Greenland , take a turn into the St-Laurence gulf , follow it and slit into 2 majors faults systems

One stay a rift system, that start 50 mile north of Ottawa , take a bath under the great lake , pass Niagara fall and buffalo and connect to an well know fault named the New Madrid .

The other is a serie of supracrustal fault , spliting 100 mile east of Montreal , follow the Richelieu river to the appalachian range , Take a bath to the Atlantic ocean close to Charleston and strike Porto Rico . And collision upper movement fault name The Logan Fault line follow the same
way. This faultd is responsible of the Newest upper movement of the Appalachian range , that strangely , look younger that they should be , i will show you all the faults lines latter on the topic .

Here is the map of the east coast fault line
hpics.li...

Here is a cut of the underground of montreal , you can see the rift fault and the Logan fault , the logan fault is the one that cut the rift fault at the right of the image .

hpics.li...

and here is where the cut is :
hpics.li...

More we get to the north , more the rift is old , Greenland get off from america at the same moment the Himalaya was created

Here is a cut from the underground of Quebec , close to the City of Les Eboulements (remind of the great 1663 Quake)
hpics.li...
And here is where the cut is :
hpics.li...

Other informations , if the rift have to go off (collapse event or not ) The energies will be transmitted from 2 side , the East and the West .

So , the New Madrid and The east coast fault system will get massive stress

here is historical info for all the region on the east coast
Here is Info on the 7.2 grand banks earthquake in 1929

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

And the 7.0 Charlevoix Earthquake in 1663.

The 1933 Baffin Bay earthquake

1884 east coast Shake

www.gendisasters.com...

East coast quake History and hasard by state :

New York:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

South Carolina:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Vermont :
earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Maine:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Virginia:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Maryland:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

North Carolina:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

District of Columbia:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

New jersey:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Massachusetts:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

So , it's happened before .

Here is The USGS Earthquake Hasard map

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And now , Some study are made , but very contradictory that said 15% chance of 7.0+ earthquake in Montreal in the next 50 years (Some said it's 5% chance , other said it's imminent .
www.canada.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
do you think it's the fault of the easter side of the craton , but the craton is not the problem for this area

The craton finish in this st-Lawrence because of the St-lawrence rift , check this area , some 7.0 earthquakes happened in the past , and one possible 8.0 and bigger .

Montréal - Quebec - Ottawa are in the top 5 cities that risk an earthquake in canada , 1 one is Vancouver . So check this area . It's had a possible connection to the New madrid and the Logan fault

the rist is expanding , but is block by the craton on side , and the midatlantic ridge the other side , so pressure is building up on the east side of the craton and the appalachian mountain (virginia earthquake ... ^^ )

I think you will have some reading
, i found load of information about this rift , and is connection to the New Madrid by the Lake superior and michigan , new study found that it's not just in Quebec , but in the Whole eastern and midwest side of the North America .
These article and scientist study are some time hard to read and the information on it is very complicated , i hope you know a little bit of geology my friend

here it is :
www.cseg.ca...

www.mendeley.com...

iicph.org...

newsrelease.uwaterloo.ca...

gretchen.geo.rpi.edu...

Just for fun : en.wikipedia.org...:Rift_valleys

gizmo.geotop.uqam.ca...

in french : the great 1663 earthquake
www.republiquelibre.org...

rruff.geo.arizona.edu...

www.scribd.com...

books.google.ca... fr&ei=YM2uToJXodfRAdSr2KUP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=st-lawrence%20fault%20system&f=false

And i don't finish now

If somone very very evil
want to create a megaquake in America , you will say , crush the new madrid ?

Why not attaking the center and the east coast of america and canada in the same time ?

how to do this ? Trigger earthquakes in the St-Lawrence rift system , the Logan Fault line , greenburg fault line , New york fault line , virginia earthquake zone , New madrid earthquake zone Taconic mountain supra crustal fault , east coast boundry fault , montmorency earthquake zone Richelieu river Rift , Cap Tourment fault ... that some of the fault , not all

The 3 big one , that can do m7.5+ are The St-Lawrence rift , The New madrid and the Logan fault

Check this out :
< br />
< br />
Quebec region :

The Quebec portion of the St-Lawrence rift

Virginia faults lines

New York Ramapo fault system

East coast and missisipi fault system

Grenville fault system

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
New york state fault system (transition of the St-Lawrence rift to the Ramapo fault system

DC-Baltimore Blue ridge fault system (connection to the Ramapo fault system and Grenville fault system )

Ottawa Bonnechere Graben (continuation of the St-Lawrence Rift to the great lake

Lake Superior Keweenaw anomaly (continuation of the Bonnechere Graben into lake superior

Niagara Escarpement anomaly (unnamed faults lines )

Then , you had Wisconsin , but no fault line map where found , and not a lot of research are made to name the Fault line , but they exist , wisconsin had earthquake by the pass and this unnamed faults lines connect the Niagar escarpement to the New madrid sismic zone

So if somone want to make an earthquake , he had a lot of choice for the epicenter

edit on 17-11-2011 by warstorm9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2011 by warstorm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Might we have a modicum of proof? I am referring to the pressure you reference.

You people throw out these wild conjectures and expect the rest of us to do your research and refute what you have said with no evidence of to begin with.

I chose to say this instead of listing the 30+ problems I have with your OP.
edit on 3/28/2012 by Yosemite Sam because: evidense.....and...you....r

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
First of all, I have never heard so much "boom and doom" in my life, that said ... the entire subject is of very little interrest, and less geological interrest.

First of all op, if you really think that you are living on floating plates, and NOA is driving these plates, back and forth and making continents. You need to have some serious reality check.

The "boom and doom" is ancient crap from the bible, and as it's coming all over the world in different resonances, saying it's a hoax is the obvious answer. Saying it's far too "God" related, is another obvious answer. God is not of interrest here, and people of the United States, enjoyed for a brief moment in time, the advantages of technology and science. With the passing of Verner von Braun, NASA is looking more like a rusty old factory in Chernobyl, and the people of the United States, are driving fast down the lane of superstition. Fasten your seatbelt please, it's a bumpy ride ... not because we "care" about you, but because it's expensive to fix you up, after you drive into the end zone.

Ironic, isn't it?

Well, first of all ... you have a lot of geological information at your disposal, but you haven't YET made the correlation that there is ONLY ONE information, that you can use that is correct. And that is where fault lines are moving away from each other. The rest, is like being in a car, and seeing another car drive towards you ... or is he? maybe it's you driving to fast against him? you don't know, unless you have a fix point to measure it with ... and sorry pal, the ENTIRE earth is moving, so there is NO FIXED POINT, period.

The interpretation you are looking at, is based on wishful thinking. The thinking of religous people, fanatics, wether muslim, buddist or christian, whose difference in life is only marginal from that of a monkey. Everything is black and white, and we are living on plates, driven by Noah, headed towards the promised land, promised by God. Who is this God person, anyway? What are his angels doing now, making all this noise and boom ... are they calling you to church, for service? Maybe they are coming to punish all the bad people in the world.

It's sad ... and not at all funny.

There may well be, somthing original in the story in the beginning. Maybe somewhere, there really was a geological happening, that caused an echo inside a hollow. Maybe ... but this has gone way beyond that, and even if we do find one that really did exist ... it does not wipe of the "God's Angel are blowing their Trumpets" part of this.

And to me, that is about as "original" and "likely" as a ghost story.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Tagging for later
second
Very interesting indeed!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would be concerned about and watching for indicators that the Midwestern US area, which is the only unbroken section of the crust holding the eastern and western plates together, was cracking. I just saw such, while reading another thread, May 20, 2012, The Great Earthquake may actually happen.

From earthquake.usgs.gov... :

MAP 4.3 2012/05/10 23:45:45 -6.218 130.557 150.7 BANDA SEA
MAP 3.1 2012/05/10 22:54:06 38.807 -87.460 11.0 INDIANA
MAP 2.7 2012/05/10 22:07:20 38.816 -87.465 8.8 INDIANA
MAP 3.9 2012/05/10 21:14:32 35.538 -96.782 6.8 OKLAHOMA

Two Indiana earthquakes. And there are also tremors being reported in Oklahoma (Oklahoma 4.0, 5/10/12), which appears to have become an auxiliary 'side-crack' if you will extending west of the main fault line. Yes,I blame fracking. But more important than what caused it is what it tells us. Forces concentrating along a main crack can easily affect a side-crack and cause activity in that side-crack.

I know this thread is old, and hasn't been posted to in over a year, but I felt maybe it was time to resurrect it in light of this activity.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by warstorm9

My apologies, warstorm. I had missed your posts. Awesome information; thank you!

I am not at all surprised that one crack from the St. Lawrence extends through the Appalachian chain... those mountains, while less impressive than the Rockies, are still pretty severely folded and simply older and more weathered than the Rockies. I don't think it would be possible for rock to fold that severely without cracks forming. The good news is that the folding itself allows for more area between the plate edges and thus more friction to hold things steady. That doesn't mean the embedded cracks can't slip, but it means it would be harder for them to slip.

It does appear the eastern section of North America is far from a simple flat plate... rather it seems to be pretty haggard with older cracks from periods of high activity. I find it interesting that this chaotic pattern of cracks extends right up to the New Madrid Fault Line... perhaps it is an ongoing process of shattering that has been slowly moving inward from the east coast for millennium? If so, could it be that the New Madrid Fault, without any appreciable amount of folded terrain around it, is the final destination of this creeping instability?

Without mountainous terrain, the crust is thinner and easier to crack and move. The New Madrid would be the first fault line to extend through level ground.

Interesting...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So , In a nut shell your saying: As Michigan goes , so goes the country.
Oh my.................................

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

So RedNeck appears to me things are beginning to move, didn't take that long really. The latest on the Assumption Parish "Issue" Here We have some Threads here on ATS but this is soooo under reported and such a HUGE deal! What's your take, have you been following this? Folks, this really is a huge deal and if you are near the area of the line, you really need to make a move. They didn't have FEMA order all those body bags and emergeny staple because "They knew nothing".
edit on 13-10-2012 by Anmarie96 because: dreaded spelling

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

I am so glad someone found this thread and revived it. I found it during the Clintonville booming incident, not only Clintonville booming but other places in the area and strange smells. I think all this has relevance. This week there was a quake in Canada.

2012-10-10: M=4.5 - 21 km WNW of Saint-Hyacinthe, QC - felt
2012-10-04: M=3.0 - 12 km S of Valleyfield, QC - felt
2012-09-22: M=3.1 - 13 km SE of Buckingham, QC
2012-09-22: M=3.9 - 69 km NNE of Chapleau, ON

www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

The eggshell really maybe cracking.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Deep Horizon has not been stopped; it never will be. The event shattered the bedrock under the Gulf of Mexico. Bayou Corne and the recent new oil slick are both results of this fracturing.

Louisiana bedrock is unstable at best. During construction of the Atchafalaya Swamp bridge, there was no bedrock to hold up the pillars; the only thing holding that road up is friction from the mud along the sides of the concrete. It is little wonder that Deepwater Horizon shattered the surrounding bedrock. Expect more of these types of incidents.

The central "tie" in the Midwest seems to be holding for now. We have seen a few small shakes in the area, but nothing has led to a complete breakup of the St. Lawrence/New Madrid fault system. That doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it hasn't happened yet. Tectonics does not keep man's schedule.

Keep watching.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I was not aware if this thread, Whoever resurrected this one thanks. Was a interesting read, considering current eq that have happened.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Redneck it is just a matter of time,

Do you ever visit investment web sites, do I know you ?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften

12km NE of Union City, Michigan
2015-06-30 10:42:54 UTC-05:005.0 km

20km NW of Eutaw, Alabama
2015-06-30 01:44:07 UTC-05:005.0 km

GREENE COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — Tuesday morning a 3.8 magnitude earthquake struck in Greene County, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake occurred at 1:44 a.m. approximately 12 miles north west of Eutaw. Communities affected include Clinton, Union and West Greene.

Tuesday’s earthquake brings the total number of earthquakes in northern Greene County to 16 since November of 2014. This earthquake is also the strongest that has occurred since November 20, 2014, matching the strength of Tuesday’s earthquake.
Source

11km NNE of Covington, Tennessee
2015-06-29 14:18:00 UTC-05:000.6 km

6km SSW of Canton, Mississippi
2015-06-29 08:23:01 UTC-05:005.0 km
edit on 30-6-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

well a good 10 months since i have been here time to bump this back to the top once again due to earthquakes in the area.

14km NNW of La Center, Kentucky
Time 2016-05-01 06:12:10 (UTC)

11km NNW of Lake View, Alabama
Time 2016-04-29 08:58:13 (UTC)

5km NNW of Weaverville, North Carolina
Time 2016-04-25 14:43:29 (UTC)

26km SSE of Madisonville, Tennessee
Time 2016-04-25 08:00:11 (UTC)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The south is SINKING: Giant chunks of the Earth's mantle are falling off and causing quakes across the southeastern US - and more are coming, warn researchers Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... zz47oLKFjeb Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The southeastern United States has been hit by a series of strange unexplained quakes - most recently, the 2011 magnitude-5.8 earthquake near Mineral, Virginia that shook the nation's capital. Researchers have been baffled, believing the areas should be relatively quiet in terms of seismic activity, as it is located in the interior of the North American Plate, far away from plate boundaries where earthquakes usually occur. Now, they believe the quakes could be caused by pieces of the Earth's mantle breaking off and sinking into the planet.

A new study found pieces of the mantle under this region have been periodically breaking off and sinking down into the Earth. This thins and weakens the remaining plate, making it more prone to slipping that causes earthquakes. The study authors conclude this process is ongoing and likely to produce more earthquakes in the future. 'Our idea supports the view that this seismicity will continue due to unbalanced stresses in the plate,' said Berk Biryol, a seismologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and lead author of the new study. 'The [seismic] zones that are active will continue to be active for some time.' The study was published in the Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.

Source
Source
edit on 5-5-2016 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join