It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

earthquake rattles indiana !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
story can be found here www.cnn.com...

this is indianas first quake since 2002 www.indystar.com...|head

The epicenter is "highly irregular, extremely rare, unprecedented,” John Steinmetz, director of the Indiana Geological Survey at Indiana University, told the Star Press at Muncie.

more proof things are getting bad.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It was only a 4.2ish quake I belive, not enough to wake most up, my dogs didn't even notice and they cower when there is a thunderstorm

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I hardly think a 3.8 earthquake is proof of things getting bad.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yeah, lets listen to random ATSers who said it's nothing to worry about.

IGNORE whatever John Steinmetz, director of the Indiana Geological Survey at Indiana University has to say about it being ultra rare and totally irregular.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

for a 4 pointer to make the news on cnn something has to be up lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gateway30
story can be found here www.cnn.com...

this is indianas first quake since 2002 www.indystar.com...|head

The epicenter is "highly irregular, extremely rare, unprecedented,” John Steinmetz, director of the Indiana Geological Survey at Indiana University, told the Star Press at Muncie.

more proof things are getting bad.

S&F. Interesting.

I wouldn't call it proof of anything though, except the earth continues to surprise us. Just because something is rare doesn't mean when it happens it's a sign of a trend towards anything. As the article pointed out, there are two major faults that run through Indiana.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am surprised at the attention its getting - I just remember the experts know more than I do.

Has anyone felt any aftershocks or are they expected?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

i beg to differ with you...AP) -- This was the year the Earth struck back. Earthquakes, heat waves, floods, volcanoes, super typhoons, blizzards, landslides and droughts killed at least a quarter million people in 2010 - the deadliest year in more than a generation. More people were killed worldwide by natural disasters this year than have been killed in terrorism attacks in the past 40 years comb

that is from the ap... link here www.physorg.com... so things are getting worse this year

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This may be a big deal or not, problem is, it may be years or decades before we see the significance of it at all, if any. Earthquakes happen all the time, but usually the big ones matter. Maybe instead of worrying about whats in outer space, we need to worry about inner space under the crust.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The Indiana Geological Survey had no records of an earthquake this size in Central Indiana ever. Steinmetz said he needed more time to research when — if ever — central Indiana had been the center of even a more minor earthquake

www.indystar.com...

I find it interesting that the quake happened there at all, and the article says it will take time to determine whether it came from the Fortville Fault, not being close enough to originate at New Madrid.

although this article names a different fault line

www.csmonitor.com...

major earthquake hazard areas of the US
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on Thu Dec 30 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I live in Indiana and I also thought it was very odd that we had an earthquake. It was in my area, but I was sleeping when it happened. A lot of people I know felt it though. No aftershocks or anything yet.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I haven't seen a map with the epicenter yet, so I am just throwing this out here.

I have been doing some reading on the Michigan Basin Rift.
Here is a link.

Perhaps this could be where the quake originated from? Just a guesstimate, I have no data to go by so I am shooting from the hip here.
edit on 30-12-2010 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I can remember there was an earth quake near Sellersburg, Indiana in the summer of 1978 or 1979.
We were in the car going to someone's house and didin't feel it. Cincinnati, Ohio had a big quake three or so years ago that cracked the mortar out in brick homes.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gateway30

i beg to differ with you...AP) -- This was the year the Earth struck back. Earthquakes, heat waves, floods, volcanoes, super typhoons, blizzards, landslides and droughts killed at least a quarter million people in 2010 - the deadliest year in more than a generation. More people were killed worldwide by natural disasters this year than have been killed in terrorism attacks in the past 40 years comb

that is from the ap... link here www.physorg.com... so things are getting worse this year

I don't know about that. Some estimates of the 2004 Tsunami in the Indian Ocean put the deaths at well above 250,000 people alone, plus deaths from other events such as land-locked earth quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, flash floods, ect.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

interesting, however my info came from a credible source.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The unusual part of this quake is that it's epicenter was north of Indianapolis. It was between Kokomo and my original hometown of Marion. I now live near Pendleton (NE of Indy). We felt nothing, but our cat acted unusual. I checked with a family member in Marion and no one felt anything.

WTHR.COM reports:

"Indiana has had earthquakes in the past, the most recent in April 2008. But most of them over the years have been centered around the Wabash Valley fault in southwestern Indiana.

This time the location is rare. It's only the third earthquake of note to hit north of Indianapolis in 175 years."

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have read several articles about this quake and each time there is a different guess for a different fault line. I don't think this came from a fault they are familiar with at all.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

edit on 31-12-2010 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join