It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Preparing to Invade South Korean Island[s]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

North Korea Preparing to Invade South Korean Island[s]

joongangdaily.joins.com

“From mid-December, divisions within North Korea’s navy, like the sharpshooting brigade and reconnaissance bureau, have been involved in landing drills in the waters off the coast of Nampo,” RFA said, citing a source in China well-informed about North Korea. Nampo is a North Korean city and seaport located in South Pyongan Province

(visit the link for the full news article)

Yeah...right.

Absolutely NOTHING is going to happen !!!

This type of childish saber rattling has been going on for eons !!!

I've got an idea. Tell ya what...let's check back on this thread in a month...two months...six months and see where this BIG WAR or BIG INVASION is at at that time.

Wagers anybody?

For most folks it won't even be a memory.

edit on 31-12-2010 by lapi7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is eventually gonna turn into a major war.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As far as people bringing up the Korean war in the 50's I feel that putting MacArthur in charge of all UN forces in defensive of S. Korea was a grave mistake honestly I believe that had they not brought that old warhorse out of moth balls after he was starting to become disillusioned and nuke happy (not too mention just down right kooky in his later career) and instead elected to have Mathew Ridgway command all forces in Korea things would be vastly different, I believe that Ridgway was much more of a Soldier's general he preferred him and his subordinate commanders to be as close to the front lines as possible and Ridgway often would be shoulder to shoulder with his men taking fire on the battlefield inspiring much better morale and fighting spirit. The man's nickname was "Old Iron Tits" because he carried grenades off of his field pack at chest level, how many Major General's (at the time of him taking over the 8th Army following the death of it's former commander) do you know of that carried hand grenades and would not hesitate to use them on the front lines? Speaking of the 8th Army, look at how fast he turned the tied for the 8th one of his greatest strengths was his management of his men and keeping them fresh.

Ridgway established a plan to rotate out those division commanders who had been in action for six months and replace them with fresh leaders. He sent out guidance to commanders at all levels that they were to spend more time at the front lines and less in their command posts in the rear. These steps had an immediate impact on morale.

I also believe that Ridgway would not have overlooked the very real possibility of China massing troops across the N. Korean border instead of trying to convince his higher ups that China was not a threat but Russia was as MacArthur did. I also believe that as soon as Chinese forces took aggressive action against UN forces all bridges crossing Yalu river instead of the political p%&*^ footing about worrying about provoking China, if China did not want to have it's nose bloodied it shouldn't have sent troops against UN forces. Ridgway established a plan to rotate out those division commanders who had been in action for six months and replace them with fresh leaders. He sent out guidance to commanders at all levels that they were to spend more time at the front lines and less in their command posts in the rear. These steps had an immediate impact on morale. A few more great Marines/ Soldiers/ and Sailors like "Chesty" Puller (Another Commander who fought on the front lines with his men, he even landed in the first waves of the 1st Marine Division taking Inchon, and held his Division in The Chosin Reservoir as long as possible against an overwhelming enemy forces in order to safe countless lives of other retreating units) things would have turned out very differently and we wouldn't be dealing with this nonsense right now.

End my drawn out assessment of why N. Korea was not utterly defeated.

Now as far as the current day situation I too am in the boat of if it's going to happen get it done with, the longer Kim has to improve and procure more WMD's the more likely the situation is to escalate into a WWIII type situation.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BigDave-AR

Star.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Star.

Much thanks Devil Dog!

Keep it salty.

Forgot to mention in my previous post to the person that tried to imply that N. Korea could deploy Nuclear artillery, you have to be kidding me, if they haven't been able to make and effective reliable nuclear device none the less even begun to miniaturize it to fit they're rather pathetic delivery missiles how could they have brought it down to shell size? Not to mention that would be a very low priority far behind the development of ballistic missiles, even for such and artillery happy nation.
edit on 31-12-2010 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ever heard of supergun technology?

China has a few built and are aiming at Taiwan apparently.

I remember playing a game once where you have to take out an NK supergun armed with nuclear shells... not saying games are reality, but the explanation for it was that NK didn't have adequate ICBM ability and most of South Korea was in its range.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

Originally posted by SaturnFX
If they invade, then war is on by default

Whats the tactical assessment of a war between north and south before anyone gets involved.

same as the first korean war. if you look on a map n. korea has the strategic advantage. s.korea is basically isolated and might as well be an island.

n. korea has an almost infinite supply line from the north coming from china that will be impossible to blockade without having the chinese intervene militarily.

so get ready, early south korean losses will mean the u.s. will step up big time and draft all you internet toughguys.

US will eliminate nearly all NK Mobile armory, artilliary and aircraft in less than six weeks. Lights and communications will be out in NK as well. Then NK will be fighting with only it's "ground troops" how bad that gets will depend on the resolve and loyalty of each NK troop that moves across the border under massive air assault and dwindling food supplies.

Yes, in the first hours to days SK can expect some heavy artilliary on some of its major cities and maybe a lucky aircraft gets through and drops a few bombs.

The artilliary and missle assets will be delt with by navy and airforce autonomous missles suck as tomohawk and yes predator type drones armed with maveric missles.

NK ground troops will be routed and demorilized by the AC-130 Gunships raining 105 howitzer, 25mm, and 40 MM artilliary down on them from 20000 feet above at night with precision accuracy.

US and SK have little reason to move troops north as the guided weapons and aircraft can inflict all the damage needed to destroy and demorilize the antiquated Army of North Korea.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Ever heard of supergun technology?

China has a few built and are aiming at Taiwan apparently.

I remember playing a game once where you have to take out an NK supergun armed with nuclear shells... not saying games are reality, but the explanation for it was that NK didn't have adequate ICBM ability and most of South Korea was in its range.

China also has a real and mature nuclear program and several delivery systems, my point still stands that I believe that would not be a preferable first delivery system for a new nuclear state, I believe nuclear artillery to be very inefficient form of delivery especially for a nuclear state in it's infancy. I believe the most they could accomplish if war were to break out within this time frame would be a dirty bomb, or possibly dirty artillery shells but I doubt anything more. Now as far as there other WMDs there chemical weapons would be much more devastating until there nuclear program matures, I can pretty much guarantee UN forces would be going to MOPP 3 & 4 pretty quickly when war breaks out again over at the ol' 38th.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
NK massive artillery attack on SK

Response cruse missiles hitting NK leadership, nuke sites, Military Ships, C3, GPS guided bomb and artillery attacks of NK artillery sites, and military bases. HARM missile attacks on all NK radars including SAM sites.

Fallowed by carpet bombing of any NK troop movements in DMZ, and destruction of road and rail system in NK

Done till NK falls apart. no US or SK troops cross into NK except SF raids.

NK is in bad shape now cutting them off internally would finish them off.

No more sending in troops to take and rebuild the country they just surrender and be taken over by the UN.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It's happened already ?

Get over it

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Starred.

Possibly the best analysis of the Korean war that I have seen. Wonder if anyone at the high command level will read this and decide NOT to make the same mistakes should the war start up again?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of Curtis LeMay.

He knew what it took to get the job done. I'll bet with the weapons we have today - he'd be like a kid at Christmas.

North Korea isn't all that. Those South Korean troops aren't pansies either. They're tough and they're dedicated professionals.

The fact that we have US troops in Korea means we cannot under any circumstances allow them to be overrun. Under any circumstances.

North Korea has been asking for a fight lately, and I'm all for them getting just what they want.

They're not going to have scores of Chinese Divisions to pull their bacon out of the fire like last time. You see, troop concentrations are our specialty now.

It comes from waging war somewhere almost continuously since Desert Storm.

Get to check out the nifty hardware and tweak where needed.

The advantage of fighting.

edit on 31-12-2010 by FarArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by barkingdogamato

Starred.

Possibly the best analysis of the Korean war that I have seen. Wonder if anyone at the high command level will read this and decide NOT to make the same mistakes should the war start up again?

Thanks

I appreciate the kind words I consider myself quite the military history buff especially from the first world war to modern warfare but have always concentrated my studies mainly on the Korean and Vietnamese wars, trying to find where we went wrong and how we can learn from the mistakes that led to the less than ideal outcomes of both wars. Another major factor in the outcome of the Korean war is that we were lulled into a sense that conventional warfare was all but obsolete and that our nuclear weapons would prevent the need for having a strong standing conventional military force, and thus congress drastically cut military expenditures especially for conventional forces. Congress didn't just cut the fat off the military budget they took away backbone and muscle too. In fact by June 1950 our military manpower was a mere 8.5% of what they had been at it's peak of strength in WWII, and what was left were men that were for the most part minimally trained, in poor condition, and weakly equipped for conventional warfare. On top of this thousands South Korean forces were given 15 day leaves to help there families in the rice paddies as after a very dry season the monsoons had begun. 2/3s of the border forces were given the weekend of the start of the war off after months of dealing with border skirmishes. Most of the S. Korean brass and all but one of the 500 man U.S. Korean Military Advisory group were in Seoul to celebrate the opening of a new officers club. So at less than 1/3 of the usual 38,000 man border force were on leave when the N. Koreans massed 90,000 men, nearly 200 T-34 MBTs, and 200 combat aircraft crossed the border only being detected at the last minute, which put the South at a deadly disadvantage, it was a "perfect storm" so to speak.

If anyone wants any suggestions for great books on the subject U2U me and I will provide you with some suggestions of good reads on the Korean war.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I believe this is a very interesting and debatable topic. When NOT IF world war 3 happens it will probably involve most of asia. i believe its a matter of time before full fledged war breaks out between nk and sk and it turns nuclear. If that happens china will probably send in troops to calm down the violence and fighting on there borders.also maybe if the nuclear war gets to serious, russia will attack nk and sk with most of there nuclear stockpile and just calm the fighting as long as possible. Presently does anybody know why nk and sk are about to go at the game of war?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
There is a report of concern floating in the media that NK has 200,000 special forces with tanks ready to cross the border.

Special forces units are not something an ordinary soldier would like to trifle with. These soldiers are a special deadly breed and will STOP at nothing to get the job done. They know no pain nor remorse, no hunger, no deprivations. They are worse than animals. At least animals know fears. These units do not. The only way to stop them is to kill them once spotted. They seek no mercy for they will offer none.

I know because I had met, talked and seen special forces from UK, USA, Israel, Australia, Asia in action before. They are mean bastards, conditioned and programmed that way. In brutual dictatorships such as NK, i can only imagine how far away from humanity such troops are.

But on the side of S.Korea, so too do they have such troops, and far better equipped to get the job done. They will stop at nothing, trainning everyday and awaiting for the moment to be set loosed. The odds are even.

If lil' Kim is foolish to cross the border, he will lose, even with the vast amounts of troops.

All SK special forces troops need to do is to target /eliminate him and the command heirachy and the war will be over. While NK special forces would have to kill EVERY SK to end the war, SK only need to eliminate the top.

Without the top, these soldiers will have no commands to follow, and like a computer programme, ceased to function, more so the rank and file ordinary troops. Sk command structure is a democracy. Eliminate one and another steps in till every SK is dead. And SK do have a strong and committed counter-insurgency force, whom like the special forces, will stop at nothing to protect the lives of every SK.

As for the brainwashed masses, being brainwashed, they are a only a placid lot, lived to be instructed, whomever is in charge or seemed to be incharge and offer better deals. Occupying NK would be a walk in the park. This is the flaw of dictatorships anywhere.

Best lil' Kim wakes up and takes better advise than be ill advised by his dung heap mushroom eating generals as well as by those whom are desperate for a distraction of war to cover up their misdeeds against humanity.

edit on 1-1-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
One factor that does worry me a bit a bit about a conflict with the north is the underground tunnels going underneath and through the DMZ and dumping out in concealed locations behind the Souths main defensive lines. Some of the latest tunnels to be discovered have been big enough to allow the passing of roughly 30,000 troops per hour and are also big enough for tanks to pass through with ease.

www.globalsecurity.org...

A very nice piece of hardware the South is deploying along the DMZ is the Samsung built sentry gun, it is fitted with a 5.56 or 7.62 NATO machine gun. It uses recognition algorithms to distinguish between human targets and things like swaying trees or animals and is even said to have friend or foe identification as well. It's optics are all weather and night vision/ thermal capable. The gun is mainly meant to be monitored by a human to decide whether to engage or not but in desperate times can autonomously engage foes.

www.defensereview.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool

It should have happened at least 5 times in the past 5 years, nothing is going to happen...If North Korea dropped a missile on Japan nothing would happen... Everyone would just look to the U.S. to do something, and then the response would be "well we've got to get them back to the table"...

The World has lost it's taste for war, the only things you'll see from now on are on and off skirmishes and tit for tat little micro wars, nothing on a large scale is going to happen again...

Especially not after the U.S. has been dragged i say dragged through the mud in these 2 middle eastern wars...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Surely you jest... What could possibly trgigger a war between these 2 countries. Surely not some malnoursihed soldier from the North who has abused his licquer rations who squeezes off a few rounds, or a soldier from the South who is tired of the continued threats from the north to rain down fire death and destruction who squezes off a few rounds.

The Governments can yell at each other all they want, but when the pvt takes a shot, nothing is going to stop the train wreck that will follow.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Surely not some malnoursihed soldier from the North who has abused his licquer rations who squeezes off a few rounds, or a soldier from the South who is tired of the continued threats from the north to rain down fire death and destruction who squezes off a few rounds.

The Governments can yell at each other all they want, but when the pvt takes a shot, nothing is going to stop the train wreck that will follow.

This is a very good point, the Korean war was preceded by months of small to fairly good size skirmishes in the DMZ mainly just shoot outs between border control forces overly tense and looking for a reason to shoot ( I believe this was the same sentiment on both sides of the DMZ.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The moment the NK generals give the command to cross the border will the beginning of the end of lil' Kim dynasty, measured in days if not by the hours.

While we must never under-estimate wars, no matter how predictable the outcome will be as in the case of impoverished and brainwashed NK, neither shall we over-estimate the capabilities of the other side, that we lost sight that wars do not end till the enemy side is totally conquered not only in might, but in hearts and minds as well.

The civilian authorities must and should now have a plan on how to take over and administer the terroritories won over. Such matters cannot be left alone in the hands of the military, for they are neither elected nor understood politics. All they know is authoritarian control, of might,and not hearts and minds.

SK best have the plans and the people on standby to handle the economic and social restructuring, espacially education to help the NK brainwashed masses, and its economic teams to regulate and control the venture capitalists whom will be rushing there to earn their buck.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join