It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI treats cyber 'sit-ins' led by 'Anonymous' as violation of law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

FBI treats cyber 'sit-ins' led by 'Anonymous' as violation of law

www.rawstory.com

The FBI raided Dallas-based Tailor Made Services, an Internet hosting company, and seized one of its servers as part of an international criminal investigation into cyber attacks against online payments firm PayPal.

The cyber attacks were part of "Operation Payback," which organized distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks in retaliation for their refusal to do business with secrets outlet WikiLeaks. Internet activists associated with the group "Anonymous" attacked PayPal numerous times after the company refused to process donations on WikiLeaks behalf, briefly knocking the company
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
And the cyber war in relation to WL and freedom of information continues on...

This could get interesting in exposing where the line is drawn in terms of what is legal and what is not, and just how far a group can go to and not risk being raided, and possibly face legal action / jail time.

Are 'cyber sit-ins' as this is being referred to, actually illegal? I would have thought on the surface that what operation payback did was, but I must admit not being well versed in actual cyber laws.

One thing is for sure, we can bet we see a LOT more of these raids in the coming times...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Oops! As a consumer, I had continually clicked on Paypal and Mastercard websites to pay for my internet purchases through my servers or internet providers, as I couldnt get through to them, and may had contributed to the massive overload of their servers. Am I one to be charged as well?

This sends a chill and terror to my heart.

Will the FBI come knocking on my door and take away my computer, charge me for whatever they can dream up and sent me to gitmo bay???

Gosh, who's the terrorists harming and spreading terror to innocents now?

Damn, guess I better give up on online purchasing, an industry worth billions of dollars to corporations, now, just to play safe, and certainly no more paypal and mastercard, as they seem to be protected by terrorists, oops, i mean the FBI.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
www.thesmokinggun.com...
Smoking gun has the afficavite on there site.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Yeah this is actually why I am curious to see how this whole thing will play out, because this actually happens on a regular basis to many of these sites, where of course no ill will is being played out, the site is just being flooded by too many users at one time.

Even though we know what anonymous and OP was doing in this case, were there actually any laws against this type of activity already in place? Under some form of hacking statute?

If not, you can bet there is a mad scramble going on as we speak to enact one. haha

edit on 30-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

new topics

top topics

join