It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The largest Masonic Temple in the World....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
.... Could possibly be in danger of being destroyed. Nestled in the heart of Motor-Town USA, the huge beautiful structure could possibly be in danger of being torn down due to the recent decline in the economy. Through my 10+ years of traveling this is the first I have heard of this temple, and I would regret not having the opportunity to visit this place before my time or its time on this earth ends. To see more pictures of this temple check out this website Detroit Masonic Temple

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0232963c2b2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ac761ec8d36.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c18526bcc7ad.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 30-12-2010 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Dude, crystal ballroom looks like the one in the Shining.. eerie as #. I'd love to live in there for a while... wow. They can't destroy that building? That'd be such a shame, I've never seen anything as beautiful in my life.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
heheh, dude do you live under a rock?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The masons are a pretty well connected group. Why not just send down a request for donations through the ranks for the building...
Any mason worth his salt will toss a few bucks towards it..thats one of the main points of being a mason actually, to look out for a brother.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I swear I must... I had no idea such a temple existed. I visited a few spectacular ones while I was stationed in Germany, even the UGLE, but neither compare to this one.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The nice one here was sold and they just moved down the block. Quite a long time ago.

The upkeep on that must be pretty expensive. And since they aren't attracting as many younger men (and younger mean less than 50), they may not have the reason to keep such a large building.

edit on 2010/12/30 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is definitely one of the most beautiful structures ever built. I have only seen a few others that are as striking as the Temple in Detroit, they include (for your viewing pleasure):

The Grand Lodge of PA.

George Washington Masonic Memorial

It's sad that the Temple in Detroit is in danger of falling to the times. Buildings like these are truly landmarks for the community. The skill that craftsmen displayed in their workmanship is unparalleled.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Masons are also the cheapest group of men you'll ever meet.

A lot of these building were built at the turn of the century, the one I was raised in is somewhat like this one though not as many rooms, and it was built in 1920's, in the middle of a depression. The buildings you'll find in centers of huge instant wealth, mostly from automobiles, military related, oil related or technology related. It was also a time when a much larger percentage of the population were Masons.

Sadly we don't build amazing structures anymore.. we build with your typical plywood and drywall with a 50 year life expectancy.. most lodges hardly have enough money to maintain their own buildings, especially older ones, let alone funneling millions into a massive complex were the population has all but fled leaving poverty and crime in it's wake.

It's a historical building though, I doubt it would be torn down.. someone will buy it for something. Oregon's old grand lodge was turned into a hotel and bar(s). www.mcmenamins.com...
(it actually is a pretty cool place though..)

Though I'd say the Scottish Rite building in DC is by far the most amazing building I've been to ..
edit on 1/2/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see anything beautiful about this building, it's furnishings, or what it symbolizes.

One stone will not be left upon another.
Time for all of them to be smashed.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Definatly a bit differant than the circa 1870 shoebox i was Raised in... It would be a disaster if this was to go through and be destroyed.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see anything beautiful about this building, it's furnishings, or what it symbolizes.

Heaven forbid someone should so obviously pi$$ on something you take pride in... I understand you have the right to your opinion, but jeeze...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

You must have gottan black balled when you petitioned to a lodge huh?
Its usually your type.... Better luck next time

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
You must have gottan black balled when you petitioned to a lodge huh?

I believe Alethea is a woman.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I used to wonder along the lines of what you're expressing. I've been a devout Christian all my life (Baptist, Assembly of God and lately non-denominational). I'd been told the stories about how evil the Masons were and even saw the infamous Jack Chick tract once upon a time.

I've been a freemason for only a short time and just went through the Scottish Rite degrees this fall (32nd degree now) and I can honestly say that I haven't felt led by the Holy Spirit to leave the lodge nor the fraternity. I've prayed a good deal with my wife about it and I trust her sensitivity to God when mine may not be attuned like hers. She's been fine with it as well. I told God and my wife that the moment I found myself being pulled away I'd leave the lodge and never look back. That still stands. My masonic vows honestly aren't vitally important to me - at least not in comparison with my relationship with God or my marriage vows. Those are real.

I will say that I've learned a great deal at the lodge and I feel like what I've learned has enhanced my Christian walk. I also believe it's helped me in some ways to be a better husband and father and medical student (at 40, no less).

I appreciate your sentiment, but I am disinclined to agree. I hope your new year is going well.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtticusNoble

I've been a freemason for only a short time and just went through the Scottish Rite degrees this fall (32nd degree now) and I can honestly say that I haven't felt led by the Holy Spirit to leave the lodge nor the fraternity. I've prayed a good deal with my wife about it and I trust her sensitivity to God when mine may not be attuned like hers.

The "Holy Spirit" is described simply as "the spirit of truth". How can you have any 'sense of truth' when you take a blind oath and are required to give your highest allegiance to a group before you are allowed to join and before you are allowed to even know anything about the workings of the organization. That is not above board. If you cannot be told what the rituals mean or why you must pledge a blood oath before knowing exactly what you are agreeing to----then there is no truth in it.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Is it not a listed building? In all fareness it is just going to be let to rot unless somebodey does something.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

How can you have any 'sense of truth' when you take a blind oath...

How can any oath be 'blind' when you are repeating back at the altar? If any portion of it does not agree with someone's sensibilities then they are free to leave at any time.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Being a grandson of a master mason, I would have to say that with being a mason, they would love more to build a new Temple, then to try too hard to save the old one that has already served its purpose.

edit on 3-1-2011 by wiredamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

How can you have any 'sense of truth' when you take a blind oath...

How can any oath be 'blind' when you are repeating back at the altar? If any portion of it does not agree with someone's sensibilities then they are free to leave at any time.

Are you given the words of the oath in advance? Or is it something you repeat piecemeal without prior knowledge of the words, language and/or implications?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Are you given the words of the oath in advance? Or is it something you repeat piecemeal without prior knowledge of the words, language and/or implications?

The words are given to you and you repeat them back. Prior to the degree it is explained to you that the oaths are symbolic and that there is no part of it that will conflict with your duty to God, your neighbor or your country.

Once again, if someone found any part of it ofensive then they are free to get up and leave prior to completing the oath or obligation.

<<   2 >>

join