It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Register Thread Disapproval Suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I would like to propose a feature request for the future. The amount of back and forth bickering between members on certain threads about the subject matter or OP and not the material presented in the thread or by the OP is very distracting. I don't need to see dozens of posts from the same poster about how idiotic the 9-11 Truth Movement is or how lame the OP is. In some cases such back and forth complaints which provide no value what so ever to the thread can go on for dozens of pages making the consumption of the valid information presented from both sides very difficult to read.

I would like to suggest that

1) people be able to register themselves as disapproving of the thread and have their disapproval listed down the right side apart from the regular conversation or reduce the disapproval to a one line graphic in-line .

2) a button to vote a comment as an off-topic complaint be added so that it can be removed and the commenter added to the above disapproval list

I think its valid to have people's disapproval recorded but when the full comments are added in-line, page after page, multiple times its nothing but a distraction and gives anyone a DDoS style ability to derail a thread and the subject matter being discussed.

If the disapproval is an actual rebuttal and provides evidence then it should definitely be left but a sarcastic "This is being brought up again? Hah, Lol, Lol, Lol, 2nd line", "Why are you being such a jerk to the OP? 2nd line", "Because this topic sucks, Lol, Lol, 2nd line" garbage needs to be excised from the material, in my opinion.

25th line, lol, lol

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If you see a post that is off topic or against ATS T&C, there is already and alert button.

And adding people to some type of black list like a public flogging is not what this community is about. Either debate the post or move on.

The best way to show disapproval of a post is to logically debate it.
edit on December 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: clairfy post o0

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
If you see a post that is off topic or against ATS T&C, there is already and alert button.

And adding people to some type of black list like a public flogging is what this community is about. Either debate the post or move on.

Come on, how can you interpret what I said as adding people to a black list? I'm not suggesting a black list - they are already registering their disapproval quite vocally - I'm suggesting their comments be moved parallel to the main thread so that the content can be read without the noise. You know as well as I do that 15% and in some cases 50% or more of the comments are completely off topic and not being removed by the moderators.

The vote option could go either direction (vote as noise/irrelevant) or (vote as relevant).

The best way to show disapproval of a post is to logically debate it.

Thats the worst way to show disapproval and why so many good threads get derailed. If you call the complainer on his non-topic complaint he complains about your complaint and it goes round and round page after page.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance

we got 10/40 O 9e r obligatory recon 5 stigmata whiiiiiner

No serious..

This seems like one of those ideas..

I don't know why complicate more things then need be??
edit on 30-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

So I was going to take your suggestion on this and alert the staff to an off-topic post but then this message came up telling me not to do so:

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

So I guess that isn't the solution after all?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

araisq,

I feel the OP of the thread can control the replies if he or she has a mind to. Let the off or offensive replier know it is off topic or that he is overboard or whatever. You got to work to stop a couple repliers from arguing off topic on your thread. Let them know they may want to start another thread. Try to keep down argumentive mood to civil debate.

Some threads run on and the OP seems to disappear and then the thread may run in all directions.

Just some thoughts.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't think the OP's suggestion would serve ATS well for a couple of reasons.

First of all, as a conspiracy site, some of the best threads are by definition unpopular. Disapproving someone's post will instantly become political for any thread about religion, the middle east, sexual politics, etc. And we hardly need to sample public disdain for threads about chemtrails, etc.

Second, debate is fostered by disagreement. Reducing disagreement will necessarily involve reducing dissent itself.

top topics

join