It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe To Ban Hundreds Of Herbal Remedies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Europe To Ban Hundreds Of Herbal Remedies

www.independent.co .uk

Hundreds of herbal medicinal products will be banned from sale in Britain next year under what campaigners say is a "discriminatory and disproportionate" European law.

With four months to go before the EU-wide ban is implemented, thousands of patients face the loss of herbal remedies that have been used in the UK for decades.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
In Sunday-Evening Surprise, Senate Unanimously Passes Food Safety Bill

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why now? Why when more and more people have less and less?
Why now when the nations are being raped by thier governements?

First the herbs, then the food.

The answer is so obvious! Deprive the people of naturalistic healing, immune support!?

What an outrage!

This law has been "sleeping" since 2004, six years!

So, everyone, especially in the U.S: This is coming for us next.

We need to fight hard now every attempt that comes along that even dares to further remove our freedoms!

May 2011, traditional herbal medicinal products must be licensed or prescribed by a registered herbal practitioner to comply with an EU directive passed in 2004.

www.independent.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-12-2010 by burntheships because: format

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well Yaah,.
evrybody knows that chemicals and Pills are the ONLY solution to health issues,.
Jees,..

the drug companies must really want this market,.
why would we want things that can REALLY cure us that come from the earth? how silly

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

It's so they can govern the industry more and essentially privatize it. All about the $$$

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The people deserve to be treated this way.

Why?

If they refuse to stand up and revolt, they CERTAINLY deserve to be ruled like cattle.

It's better to die fighting for good than to live accepting evil.

If they accept evil, that must make them evil too. I guess I am glad they are having herbs removed. I don't want evil people to survive and pass on their failed policies to the next generation.

If they don't deserve this, than lets see a revolt by human beings to achieve human rights...

Yeah right. Those farm animals won't dare do anything.
Mooooooo.

I apologize for my ultra-cynical response but enough is enough! Tired of this crap.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Nice exciting but misleading title...

There is no "ban" coming into force. It's about licensing the people who sell them, mainly to protect consumers who could be litterally sold anything, which may well be harmful to health rather than helping.

But we can't beat a good, sensationalist article.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Its all about the money. It is a way for the Big Pharma to control all of the herbs, and eliminate them.
And the governements can have even more money to line the coffers, using the lobby.

Line the pockets of the Big Corporations, and Big Pharma, and Big Brother.

It has nothing to do with safety!

But yet that is precisely how it starts, and its happening in the United States right now.

Food Safety my arse!

Oh, people say "But I dont drink raw milk". Oh please!

People, wake up!
edit on 30-12-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

There is no "ban" coming into force. It's about licensing the people who sell them, mainly to protect consumers who could be litterally sold anything, which may well be harmful to health rather than helping.

My Arse!

Did you read the full article?
Herbs that are not licensed can not be prescribed!

God help us all, thanks for letting us know your stance.

You are of no help to your fellow countrymen!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Natural medicine does not automatically mean safe medicine. There are interactions that can occur between supplements and other supplements as well as supplements and prescription medicines which can be quite detrimental or even fatal. These reasons alone do warrant someone being licensed to sell nutritional supplements.

I was always saddened when someone comes shopping for supplements and I hear them speak in a way that leads me to believe they feel that if its natural its by default safe. I did an experiment once where I brewed green tea and offered samples of it to my customers as Hemlock Tea. It averaged out that only 1 out of 4 people knew that Hemlock Tea was fatal with the other 3 out of 4 asking me all about what sort of benefits Hemlock Tea had and I actually had one customer that told me that I was way behind the times and they had been drinking Hemlock Tea for years.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Licencing IS a Ban. Essentially.

It bans those without Licences!

Think about it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
People who rant on about 'big pharma' and who think everything 'alternative' is good belong in the pen with the rest of the sheep. Fact is - where something has the power to do good, it also has the power to do bad. Just because it comes in a bottle marked 'herbal remedy' doesn't make it either effective or safe. Sadly these over priced and over hyped 'remedies' do need licensing. And their ingredients need checking. Or have you never heard about some of the notable market scandals?
Far better spend your money on good food and lifestyle than give it all to Quackery Inc.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

I appreciate your comments, however:
Safe drugs do not mean safe medicine.

Prescription drugs kill over 100,00 people in the U.S alone every year!

How many people are killed by drugs over the decades?

The numbers would boggle the mind!

Again, this is not about safety, its about control!
Control, and money are the bottome line.

And these days, in almost 70% of all patient visits, physicians do indeed give them the drugs they crave. But if that doesn’t work, if things get serious or seriously inconvenient, they move on to surgery. Of course, most prescription drugs and surgeries, reflecting conventional healthcare as a whole, have nothing to do with prevention and addressing the causes of illness -- they’re all about merely treating symptoms so people can move on with their unhealthy lifestyles and get more symptoms that need treating. It’s great for repeat business.

Some people, however, are aware of the deadly downward spiral of the conventional healthcare system. They are refugees from an oppressive system, to be blunt about it, seeking better alternatives to prevent and cure illness, and live longer. And here is the key point of the matter that’s caused this recent surge in opposition to supplements: their numbers are increasing dramatically, and they are finding those better alternatives.

Between 1997 and 2001, there was a 15% increase in sales of vitamin/mineral supplements. In 2002, the overall market for the alternatives to prescription drugs, processed and fast food, and surgery -- that is, natural/organic foods, dietary supplements and other natural products -- was $37 billion.

Those numbers, that attempt to escape from conventional healthcare’s stranglehold, is what is behind the recent worldwide war being waged on the leader among alternatives at over $17 billion annually, supplements. And it’s those dictators at the top of conventional medicine, such as the pharmaceutical companies and the governments they own, driving this war. You see, all these alternates like supplements are actually getting people to believe they can prevent illness and avoid trips to doctors’ offices, and it’s starting to make a dent in their mega-profits, and threatens to make a much bigger dent.

www.health-report.co.uk...

edit on 30-12-2010 by burntheships because: format

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

mainly to protect consumers who could be litterally sold anything, which may well be harmful to health rather than helping.

Funny, what happened to buyer beware?

What happen to self-responsibility?

Nah. The Cattle are too dumb to be responsible aren't they?

Mommy Govt Needs to baby sit them through BASIC COMMON SENSE.

Buyer Beware!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
People who rant on about 'big pharma' and who think everything 'alternative' is good belong in the pen with the rest of the sheep. Fact is - where something has the power to do good, it also has the power to do bad. Just because it comes in a bottle marked 'herbal remedy' doesn't make it either effective or safe. Sadly these over priced and over hyped 'remedies' do need licensing. And their ingredients need checking. Or have you never heard about some of the notable market scandals?
Far better spend your money on good food and lifestyle than give it all to Quackery Inc.

I don't take herbs or pharma pills.

Now if I am literally dying, I might try some of that stuff. Hey I am already dead ain't got anything to lose right?

Until I am dying, I will just be living.

Funniest part is that I take NO medications, natural or corporate, and yet I am 100% healthy. Coincidence? Doubt it...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I just smile and shake my head at comments like that.

You know, soon the E.U is going to require you to have a license to read.

Oh, wait maybe they already do? What is peoples excuse for handing over every last shred of
freedom to The Governement?

And the excuse for lack of personal education?

Since when, and show me proof please - does the government really care about peoples well being?

Do you need the governemnt to come to your house and make sure you heat your tea water up to a certian near boiling point, so you dont burn your toungue?

Do you need your goverment to come to your house to make sure you use your
wood stove properly so you dont burn it down?

How about your blow dryer and the bathtub?

edit on 30-12-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
They hate freedom. Freedom means that someone else might have a cool day.

And since their lives suck so bad, and they are too dumb to think for themselves, they DEMAND that the government take control of everything to keep them "safe".

1) Control is an illusion that psychopaths imagined.
2) Nothing will make Earth Safe.
3) Licencing only has two purposes: Screwing you over and making huge tax $$$ Win-Win

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

1) Control is an illusion that psychopaths imagined.
2) Nothing will make Earth Safe.
3) Licencing only has two purposes: Screwing you over and making huge tax $$$ Win-Win

Yeah, you have got that right!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The funniest part is, most people who support Govt Control also believe in "Survival of the fittest". How hypocritical is that???

This is like backwards Eugenics. Basically instituting massive laws to make sure idiots don't die. This means that idiots will breed more often.

But really, nature knows best trust me. Idiots should die. We should not prevent it.

If a dude wants to drink gasoline, let him.

Why would anyone want to prevent this??

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
Natural medicine does not automatically mean safe medicine. There are interactions that can occur between supplements and other supplements as well as supplements and prescription medicines which can be quite detrimental or even fatal. These reasons alone do warrant someone being licensed to sell nutritional supplements.

I was always saddened when someone comes shopping for supplements and I hear them speak in a way that leads me to believe they feel that if its natural its by default safe. I did an experiment once where I brewed green tea and offered samples of it to my customers as Hemlock Tea. It averaged out that only 1 out of 4 people knew that Hemlock Tea was fatal with the other 3 out of 4 asking me all about what sort of benefits Hemlock Tea had and I actually had one customer that told me that I was way behind the times and they had been drinking Hemlock Tea for years.

You can't legislate away ignorance or stupidity. If you don't know that you should consult your doctor before starting any herbal treatment or supplement and do your own research, you're an idiot. No law or regulation is going to fix that. All this does is put the little guy out of business to line the pockets of big pharma, who no doubt lobbied the politicians' asses off to get this through.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well I agree in part, but not the whole.

The governments rape the people using "taxes". They take the money so they claim in part to
"Educate". Well then they damn well should.

I am a believer in Education. So, I at first would attempt to educate.
Then, if that fails, well....
edit on 30-12-2010 by burntheships because: speling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join