It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

simmer down now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
ATS is a forum to discuss alternative and fringe topics, in an intelligent and reasonably civilized manner.

i come here for the believers and skeptics alike. and when reasonable, or passionate, or thoughtful, or thorough posts are made, well then STAR for the poster.

but it seems there is a trend nowadays to simply 'fling-poo' and any post that doesn't agree with our mood our current sensibilities. in other words, if a poster does not like what is being presented in a thread... instead of stating facts or a cohesive opinion about what they don't like or what they don't agree with, they take it as an opportunity to demean, debase, attack, name call etc.

i just waded through 14 pages of crud. post after post calling the OP out on BS, but very few offering a solid reason why. there were threats of banishment made and the OPs head was basically called for. it took until page 11 or so before some brave poster did a bit of solid research, followed up on that research, presented that research and then formed an intelligent opinion.

now the OP did have an inauthentic feel to it and it is perfectly right (and in fact encouraged) to poke holes in the OPs story. we are talking about some hefty topics here in ATS, and scrutiny is necessary.
but all of this can be done in a (reasonably) civilized manner.

i just came from another thread where a poster complained about 2012 BS, demeaned the OP, and made a few snarky snide comments. this was in the 2012 forum!!! don't read it if it's not your thing!!
certainly don't fling your poo, with nothing to add to the topic but your own foul mood.

the mindless reactive vitriol is redundant and unnecessary and frankly, clogging up lots of thread space.

so please, ATSers, take some time to form an intelligent opinion before we start shooting off the crass wisecracks and knee-jerk insults.

we are above that...

get it. "Above" Top Secret.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

Is this in regards to the "This changes everything" thread which was slammed? If so I believe the OP was a victim of pent up frustration by the old guard at what ATS is turning into.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
"this changes everything post".. is the post the OP states something and never returns.. puts forth promises and breaks them.. If your not going to do what you say you are going to do then why post anything at all.. people will obviously feel let down by things like that and im not opposed to them being angry with it. The 14 post were pad enough but everyone has to rant a liitle just like the above op...
edit on 30-12-2010 by Kadmiel because: qoutes

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kadmiel

I figured it was. In that case the OP deserved everything he received.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

i think you hit the nail on the hand... "a victim of pent-up frustrations"

but don't we all have pent up frustrations? is that a reason to lose our composure? to offer insults instead of intelligence?

i feel like we live in an age where we are just waiting for an excuse to vent our pent up frustrations. the internet grants us anonymity, and so many think there is an opportunity to spout whatever venom they feel they need to with little thought of direct consequence. but is this healthy? will this lead to a more in depth, intelligent understanding of the matters at hand.

i mean, we all want to smash the things we dislike. that doesn't mean we do.

unless, of course, anarchy is the solution.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

this isn't just about that thread, though that was just a motherload of vomit on all fronts.

"deserved to be sh@t on?"

move it to skunk works. end the thread. etc.

but to become the whipping post to our bile. it seems juvenile and more of a waste of time then the actual OP.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

I think the mods here have been far too lapse of recent.

What with all the threads being posted without any form of credible source material, in the case of that particular thread the OP posted something with the intention of misleading the user, I can see why people were hostile towards him.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

i get it crutchley. i do. i do not wish to be mislead, intentionally or otherwise. (though one would think a fringe website like ATS would be a haven for just such a thing)

it just became a silly blood bath with little follow through.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

The mods should have concluded that the thread was going nowhere, but they were waiting for pictures, It's a tough call really! could have missed out on some really good material...But i agree they should have locked it earlier and asked for pictures within 2-3 pages.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

not really since all that was given is im "technically retarded from the op" that is just wasteing time and everyone knew it

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

i agree...
locked it up, or moved it to skunk works.

but it is not just that thread... the 'angry-mob'/ 'snarky-dude' mentality that leaks over to many other threads. i suppose i feel i waste a lot of time in ATS wading though a lot of snarky *snip* before i find the pearls. immature ignornant stuff that oft times derails a thread, or at least clogs it up.

if a thread can be debunked. great. give me the facts. keep the snarky *snip* to oneself.

so i thought i'd post my own snarky *snip* to vent my own pent up frustrations!

ahhh... the stench of irony.

top topics

join