It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn's Rocky Signatures.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Let me start by saying I am not an astronomer and my knowledge of planet formation theory is rather low, but...

Saturn is showing traces of rocky partcles in both its rings and atmosphere. This is out of place for a gas giant. It also has a lot of rocky moons including the massive Titan.

Is it possible that in all the expance of the solar system a LOT more rocky planet formed but were flung out into space or sucked into the sun durring orbital collapse, and saturn snatched up some of these bodies as the cruised by on thier way to a cold doom of interstellar space?

Not only absorbing many, but capturing a few like titan. And creating rings out of the collision of so many rocky bodies smashing together. Ice and other outer solar system chemicals could have been added by thing being pull inward durring formation.

Just a thought if anyone has any information or input.

Source of "Dirt=like" reading from Saturn.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i would think that jupiter would ahve ended up with the rings then, since it's so much more masive. jupiter does have some ring structure, but nothing as significant as saturn's. of course, on the way towards the sun they would have to get past saturn, so who knows.

i always thought that the rings could have formed by a destroyed moon billions of years ago. since the rings are mainly ice particles, the mooo could have been similar to jupiter's europa.

E_T

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It's true that after the birth of solar system there was very much residue which caused this "cosmic billiard"/bombardment of planet and moons.
Most of those object have collided with planets/sun, captured as moons by big planets or drifted away from solar system.

And about Saturn's ring, read about Roche's limit.
www.cvc.org...
scienceworld.wolfram.com...

new topics

join