It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida about to have "no refusal" checkpoints

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

That's precisely what's happening. It's the latest way to collect taxes from those who obviously can afford to travel. Like times of old when the King's men would molest travelers under threat of violence to give up some booty while crossing their city roads, today it's no different only they're disguised as safety inspections or Dui checkpoints in order to sell it to the sheeple.

The fact that people cannot be made to blow through a tube to incriminate themselves in order to trigger that big revenue stream, so it seems they've decided to forcibly extract their blood in order to ensure they get the most customers possible. Personally I see a forced blood test no different than forcible rape. In my state they would only do such a thing after an accident in which it appears there is enough evidence to warrant such, not just trolling on a mission considering all guilty until proven otherwise as we see here in FLA.

BTW - In my state if you refuse to blow, the caveat is you will lose your operators license for at least one year. Considering the expense of a DUI (fines, classes, ignition devices, attorneys, higher insurance rates), losing a your license for a year doesn't seem all that bad. Though it could make getting to work a nuisance.

Checkpoints, roadblocks, blockades or whatever you want to call them. Just like a TSA checkpoint at an Airport where everyone has to filter though take a battery of sobriety tests, get their papers checked to look for any out of date or missing papers (drivers license, ID, insurance, registrations etc) for potential revenue collection as well an excuse to observe all occupants & look for contraband (untaxed cigarettes, improperly stowed or illegal weapons, drugs without license or prescription etc.) for any reason to write infractions, detain & or arrest persons.

Again its against the Spirit of America.
edit on 31-12-2010 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I think a few points needed to be clarified ..

(1) A checkpoint is just a cue of cars.

(2) Your car does not get searched or seized.

(3) You do not have to leave the car , just wind down the window and speak into a breath analyzer.

Can someone NOT drunk please explain the "rights breech" here. ( it only goes further if you refuse that minor inconvenience. )

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm a Florida Cracker,

Tampa Bay Area - born and raised. Live on Anna Maria Island now, (Sarasotaish, hour south of Tampa)... love living on an Island... anyhow,

Florida, approved a law in 2002, by ballot - that it would require 60% of a vote (not a simple majority of 51%) to pass any ballot initiatives. Ironically, it passed with 52% of the Vote and now everything requires a 60% vote (by the public) to pass if on ballot.

Florida is a heavy swing state - the 3rd Largest State - We are one of the few states to add congressional seats (29 electoral votes now, not 27) ..

I was a Field Organizer for Campaign For Change, Organizing for America - Central Florida. Went to the Official Youth Ball. (Yeah, I fell for it... now that I look. Maybe he had good intentions? Maybe he did end up being bought out--- Yet, when Goldman Sachs were #1 donors, and.. yeah... duhhh Jack)

But moot point. Florida is an odd state - There's a heavy "redneck" central area, a coastal blend of rich northern Republicans and Democrats - it's just an odd state political wise.

It's the only State where the further north you drive the more southern it gets.

I heard once if 80% of our society will "go along" with something, then "THEY" need not worry -

so, I say, and what I do - is take threads like this, post it on facebook and say -

"Keep fighting!" ... at least making other people aware,

Sort of you have to pass it on (what you've learned from ATS and birds of a feather) to keep it. Remember those nights of googling around just inching closer and closer to an answer?

Happy New Years! Dec. 21st 2012 is even closer - can't wait to see what happens (and if the fanatics apologize or the debunker's go mad)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24

So drunk people don't think they're too drunk to drive? Have you ever gotten drunk? Even buzzed? If you have then that comment should not be coming out of your mouth. The only people I know that drive while drunk are either moronic high school teenagers or severe alcoholics-either way there is no excuse to drive under the influence. If you ask me, these checkpoints are a-ok with me-hell, they should suspend people's licenses for 5 years for driving under the influence...

Really? You've never seen a drunk person do something stupid, that they wouldn't normally do? Somehow, I think there are about 1000 women per night here at FSU that wake up and think WTH? I think the cliche "lampshade on the head" came from somewhere.

Drunk people constantly make bad decisions, that is why a deterrent will not work with them.

The public education campaign, free taxi cabs, and designated drivers have made a world of difference today, compared to 20 years ago, but there are still plenty of people that don't make pre-arrangements, because they don't "plan" to get drunk, then the party goes a little better than expected, and then at the end of the night, they think they are sober enough to drive.

Maybe you don't go out much? Park in a clubs lot one night and watch people stumble to their cars, or swing off the light posts whooping like tarzan just before getting behind the wheel!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth

(3) You do not have to leave the car , just wind down the window and speak into a breath analyzer.

Can someone NOT drunk please explain the "rights breech" here. ( it only goes further if you refuse that minor inconvenience. )

Stopping me from my travels and detaining me for even a few seconds, and making me show my identification when I am not suspected of anything is the rights breech. Sniffing around my car with a drug dog, and shining a spot light into my backseat for no apparent reason is a rights breach!

Funny story though. One night my ex-wife and I had ended a fight with some good make up sex in the car. She didn't want to wrestle her pants back on, so we were driving along and all she had was a t-shirt, and lo and behold....a checkpoint!! If I would have u-turned, it would have looked suspicious, so she pulled her t shirt as low as possible and we inched through. The deputy shined his spot light in the car, stuttered, ran the light up her legs and then switched off very quickly, pushed up his hat, attempted to speak again once or twice, and then just waved us through!!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

"Stopping me from my travels and detaining me for even a few seconds, and making me show my identification when I am not suspected of anything is the rights breech. Sniffing around my car with a drug dog, and shining a spot light into my backseat for no apparent reason is a rights breach!"

Are you just making this up as you go along. Without checking out how checkpoints actually operate worldwide, instead of the" worse case scenario ".

They do not ask for you license, or look in your car, and they do not have drug dogs. It is a very speedy process as they also do not want long cues that causes traffic jams.

And who are you that it is SOOOOO important you just cant be held up for a few seconds. That's right you are a no-body in the grand scheme of things. The ONLY person who thinks you are important is you.

Selfish, self obsessed much ?

Do you even know what "deny ignorance" means, or you just pay it lip service.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

First off being "drunk" = alcohol intoxication unable to care for your safety or the safety of others.. not the same as under the influence of alcohol/drugs.

Vehicles do in fact get impounded at checkpoints.. which means searched incident to impound... "seized" relates to asset seizure, not germane.. and people are asked to exit their vehicles routinely.

As far as speaking into a "breath analyzer", wrong.. as a DRE If I formed the opinion you were operating a vehicle while under the influence of a stimulant, lets say blown out pupils with rebound dilation.. you'd be exiting or removed, car impounded and searched incident to arrest, then I'd get your blood with or without your consent under the best evidence rule...

All this could be enforced upon you without any PC.. the "rights breech": you have a right to not be harassed by authorities unless probable cause exists to detain you.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

You can call it whatever you like. Just a cue, just a roadblock, just a blockade, or just a checkpoint whatever it's all the same. Either stop and comply or be faced with deadly action by men with just guns.

My business (privacy) is my own and my time is my own. My rights are breached as soon as I'm hindered from moving about freely and both my privacy is breached and my time is stolen. A show of physical force (barricades & essentially military men with weapons) in order to halt my peaceful travel down a highway is not such a minuscule action. Somebody has taken control my life for however brief period of time and threatened me with physical violence by displaying weapons that can be used against me unless I heed their clear threats of physical violence by following their orders.

Having to stop for no other reason than for LEO's to search you is a violation. Your car will be seized if you are arrested for any reason or you have any unpaid violations and they choose to do so. My truck was seized when my girl friend just bumped into another car with no physical damage noticeable, because her license was expired. She called me right after it occurred and I came to the scene to drive my truck and the police would not let me take my undamaged truck that had since been parked legally in a private lot and had it towed because they could. It took hours of my time and several hundred dollars to retrieve my truck. Nothing but a scam.

These days with computers your being searched in data bases for, vehicle ownership, unpaid fines, resulting bench warrants before you even roll your window down. As soon as you come in contact a visual search is being made of everything within view from the LEO's position.

Anybody who believes in check points doesn't believe in freedom. The only benefit is a job for those who work the check points.
edit on 31-12-2010 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Your "opinion" does not hold up to the facts. Only cars where the people are caught "over the limit" get impounded. So simple remedy to that, " Don't drink and drive retards"

And as for "appearing stoned" As someone who has had more than their fair share of various drugs. Then if I looked stoned I probably am. No-one who actually had ant experience with them would say otherwise.

God Americans are such pussies nowadays. Winge winge, moan, moan. Your forefathers would not have stood up for you, they would have slapped you silly. Absolutely pathetic.

John Wayne voice....... " We cant cross the river now because its flooded, the wagon will tip over "

Pansy assed girly voice ..... " Oh I cant be held up, I just gotta be somewhere "

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Forcing you to wear a seatbelt is also "Restricting your movements" .

Was that also a bad idea ?

Any other safety ideas you want to forgo because they upset your delicate sensibilities ? Better yet list the things you have personally done to make this world a safer place. Or let me guess, you have done nothing of value yet and will probably die as such.

A user of much smarter peoples inventions and ideas your entire life, in the mean time fooling yourself you are free.

The only thing you are free to do, is think you are important.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

You let your unlicensed girlfriend drive a truck ?

Thankyou for making my argument for me.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Not that it's any of your business, but since you apparently have no life other than criticizing others imperfections, here you go.

Where did I say I let anybody drive my truck?

It was taken without my permission whilst I was sleeping.

So, are you going to lecture me about who I choose to fall asleep next to - Mr. Know it all?

With people like you around it's no wonder that people continue to make IED"s.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
All this conversation has done for me is reinforced the notion there are still plenty of hillbilly, redneck, inbreeds around to be a constant threat to decent folks. They cant make good decision even when sober let alone after a few drinks.

Bring on more checkpoints I say.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I wear my seat belt to keep me near the controls should something unexpected occur and of course to keep the fried bread eaters from having an excuse to molest me for a few dollars.

Just standing up and exposing imbecile bullies like you, means I've made the world a better place to be.

If not for people like me the world would be run by rapist NAZI pigs..

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Good thing you live in some other country, so you can go *snip* yourself. You stay in NZ, and butt out of US issues, you coward.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelwrangler
reply to post by 46ACE

www.pendleton.usmc.mil...

Sorry about the link, best I can do, but Californian's who have lived here any amount of time will confirm that you are correct, sir!

I, also, am California born and raised, 46ACE you are thinking of Camp Pendleton, which is an alien checkpoint, hauler scales search and seizure point and when ordered a DUI check point as well.

Post details: More Info On Marines Manning San Bernardino County Sobriety Checkpoints
2008-12-17
Permalink 23:51:17, Categories: Privacy, Right to Travel, Checkpoints, 510 words English (EU)
More Info On Marines Manning San Bernardino County Sobriety Checkpoints

(Photo: Marine checkpoint in Iraq)

As reported earlier, I came across additional information regarding the participation of the U.S. Marines in sobriety checkpoints being conducted by the County Sheriff and Highway Patrol in San Bernardino County, California.

According to a December 10, 2008 press release from the Highway Patrol, USMC Military Police participated in a joint task force with the County sheriff and state police to conduct a sobriety checkpoint on December 12, 2008. All in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act that prohibits the military from participating in civilian law enforcement operations under most circumstances.

www.checkpointusa.org...

Is 'Pendleton in San Berdoo??? I've got an awesome memory for seemingly useless "chit".
???
edit on 31-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2010 by 46ACE because: added

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
However different our opinions are on different topics and especially here on this thread, I do wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on subjects in the upcoming year.

Be careful when traveling. Drive safely and defensively and again, Happy New Year.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Too late. The "Alcoholics 4 Driving Drunk" team have already scored.

Out of 8 fatalities on our roads in the last few day, 6 involved alcohol. And that's just little old N.Z.

But apparently our right to drive on the roads safely is not enough to trump the cry babies who cant handle being delayed for a few minutes.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

But apparently our right to drive on the roads safely is not enough to trump the cry babies who cant handle being delayed for a few minutes.

I thought driving wasn't treated as a right in America?

Are you american? Don't you guys need licenses to drive?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Have you never been through a checkpoint? They always ask you for license, registration, and insurance. The drug dog does not hit every car, but he is on site in case they want to use him. The majority of what they catch are license and registration violations, a few outstanding warrants, and an occasional DUI. Maybe you should reread the OP, because it even states that in the OP.

A large number of my close friends are LEOs. The record drug dog in Missouri for many years belonged to my close friend and next door neighbor. Not to mention that anybody that has ever driven through a checkpoint knows they ask for this stuff.

Also, what does "world wide" have to do with anything. This OP is happening in Florida, where I live, where I am routinely get stopped at checkpoints, because I live in a college town.

Now for your other question, "who am I?" I am an American Citizen, with certain inalienable rights. I am a father, a husband, a public servant, and a constituent and voter of the people that are making these laws. I am a pretty important person, as are we all!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join