It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida about to have "no refusal" checkpoints

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

With New Year's Eve only days away, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration expects this to be one of the deadliest weeks of the year on the roads.

But now a new weapon is being used in the fight against drunk driving.

It's a change that could make you more likely to be convicted.

"I think it's a great deterrent for people," said Linda Unfried, from Mother's Against Drunk Driving in Hillsborough County.

Florida is among several states now holding what are called "no refusal" checkpoints.

It means if you refuse a breath test during a traffic stop, a judge is on site, and issues a warrant that allows police to perform a mandatory blood test.

It's already being done in several counties, and now Unfried is working to bring it to the Tampa Bay area.

"I think you'll see the difference because people will not drink and drive. I truly believe that," she said.

Not everyone is on board, though.

DUI defense attorney Kevin Hayslett sees the mandatory blood test as a violation of constitutional rights.

Read more

What the hell??????????????

Land of the free? Absolutely not.

Interestingly enough, the idiot woman from MADD who came up with this idea is also an employee of the local sheriffs office.

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
Interestingly enough, the idiot woman from MADD who came up with this idea is also an employee of the local sheriffs office.

I feel safer just reading this article. This will completely stop people from drinking and driving. The danger of wrecking a car and being killed due to intoxication is not enough to prevent people from drinking and driving. A mandatory blood test, citation, and fine is what is needed. If the threat of death won't do it then the threat of fine and jail time will.

+5 more 
link   
The "good ole USA police state" is about to have their no refusal "bullets" to the oppressors I believe. When the dollar collapses, and many prisoners are set free, and people lose their homes but not their guns, and they are hungry and ticked off, and some buffoon shines a light in their face, they might get more than a pissed off look in return.

+31 more 
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

There is no such thing as a "deterrent."

Really? The threat of going to jail at least overnight, losing your license at least a year or two, and spending thousands of $$ on fines and fees isn't enough of a deterrent? They really think people are still doing it, because they can refuse a breathalyzer and only lose their license for 1 year?

People Drink and Drive, because they don't think they are drunk. No amount of "deterrent" is going to change the mental state of a drunk person. On top of that, it is far more dangerous to be tired, texting, or have a giant Double Quarter Pounder blocking your vision and Ketchup on your tie, than it is to be at the legal limit.

I guarantee that driving at a 0.08 BAC level is barely noticeable, and I also guarantee that driving while texting, doing paperwork, drinking hot coffee, or eating a Big Mac is EXTREMELY Noticeable!

Stupid law once again! Maybe the TSA should be put in charge of Highways as well as Airports. A good cavity search is always a deterrent! Even drunk people understand when they are quite literally getting one up the back door!

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Nazi checkpoints looking for Jewish people.....
This Country is becoming more and more fascist.

I do agree with checkpoints to get those pathetic loser drunks off the street, but the 'no refusal' bit of it is worrying.. makes me wonder what other 'no refusal' type checkpoints they'll come up with besides busting drunks.
edit on 12/30/2010 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Just don't drink and drive and I think you will be fine.

+35 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by willie9696

Ever heard of the 4th Amendment?

Protect your liberties, and I think you will be fine.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by willie9696

Do you understand the term "slippery slope" at all? How about "precedent"? Turn off the TV for awhile and look at what is really going on around us.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think the point is moot. They can now detain you under suspicion if you refuse, take you in and do testing. Like drugs. Refuse to be searched...which is your right...and they can get the dog to your home or car to alert if you...(which is THEIR right)

Watch any # of Cops show on reality tv. Refuse on-site? The dog is coming or you are going in for testing...or worse, to await a court order in detention, transfer in-custody to a hospital and have blood drawn.(all while not be charged, but held under suspicion).

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Not surprisingly, the psycho woman who is trying to implement this constitutional abuse is a jesus freak.

From another article:

"I truly believe it was a calling from God, I was there to help her. She really tugged at my heart strings today," said Unfried.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They could save lives by testing for too much adrenalin. An angry or upset person is way more dangerous than one who's had a couple of drinks. The guy who leaves work all stressed out then goes to the pub for a couple might actually be a safer driver for it.

Raging hormones might be another one to test for.

The best solution is to have lots of public transportation available, but no, that will never happen in America.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

The Florida Voters have voted for more public transportation....TWICE! Only to be overridden by the legislators intent on ignoring the will of their constituents and taking care of their cronies instead!

We wanted a highspeed train from Orlando to Tampa and Orlando to Atlanta, and we approved the plans and the funding at the polls, but the legislature decided they know more than us, they shot down the most popular parts of the bills, decided to fund the least popular portion of the rail, and then never began that process and a new legislature pulled that funding.

It is so much more fun to stop innocent motorists and take our blood, than it is to put people to work building safe alternatives!

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by willie9696

Really? Whats nex? Don't drive with a Ron Paul bumper sticker and you'll be fine??

edit on 30-12-2010 by 46ACE because: prematurespelling ( notenough coffee)t

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's less about about the fact that they're doing this and more about the precedent that this sets that makes a lot people angry and worried. It's the precedent that this sets that should worry people. I think that we need to make that point clear.
edit on 30-12-2010 by gnosticquasar because: added emphasis

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This country has become an embarrassment to the world. Claiming all this, "great standards" of living, and "freedoms", maybe we ought to advertise about the continuing abuse and infringement of the peoples rights?

What part of the constitutions 4th Amendment right do these people not understand?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I guess the right to be " secure in their persons ", is just a flashy phrase? This police state crap is getting out of hand!

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

They will claim "driving on public roads" is a "privilege" and not a right, and therefore does not fall under the 4th amendment. They would be wrong, because it is also unconstitutional to "restrict travel" on public lands. Our tax dollars pay for those roads and lands and the government is an agent of the people, not vice versa, but until someone takes great sacrifice and expense to challenge the law, they will continue to get away with it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

GOOD!!! Now if only they did drug tests too!!! I now feel a little safer driving my children around this holiday season, or even letting my 15 year old get some behind the wheel experience. She is fifteen and has a permit, but In Florida I am freaking terrified to let her drive as there are for one so many drug abusers driving down here, I'd venture to guess that 80% of the population does crack or meth or weed here, and I'm probably not far off, about 85-90% are habitual drunks too, the rest are illegals that don't know how to drive or geriatrics with no eyesight. Yeah Florida is DAMN scary for a mother of new drivers!

They should be doing this year round!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I vaguely remember a Cali news article where U.S. Marines were going to be used (only) forholiday drunk driving checkpoints to "Help" cops...Have to find that old link. What the hell is wrong with us???

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

So handing over your Constitutional rights is ok in your eyes? Allowing " them " to infringe on your liberties under the premise of " security " doesn't seem to be a bit controlling? Please tell me your not that naive?

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

GOOD!!! Now if only they did drug tests too!!! I now feel a little safer driving my children around this holiday season, or even letting my 15 year old get some behind the wheel experience. She is fifteen and has a permit, but In Florida I am freaking terrified to let her drive as there are for one so many drug abusers driving down here, I'd venture to guess that 80% of the population does crack or meth or weed here, and I'm probably not far off, about 85-90% are habitual drunks too, the rest are illegals that don't know how to drive or geriatrics with no eyesight. Yeah Florida is DAMN scary for a mother of new drivers!

They should be doing this year round!!!!

You are part of the problem.

Ever heard of the 4th Amendment?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join