It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Bypasses Senate to Make Controversial Recess Appointments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
How's that change, bipartisanship and transparency working for ya'll?? :shk:

Obama Bypasses Senate

President Barack Obama bypassed the Senate Wednesday to make six recess appointments who nominations had been stalled or blocked by federal lawmakers, including an assistant attorney general whose ties to insurance giant American International Group (AIG) drew widespread criticism.

No surprise here .. Info on the James Cole appointment -

Cole is a close friend of Attorney General Eric Holder and a partner at a private Washington law firm. His appointment is one of six Obama announced from his vacation in Hawaii, including ambassadors to Turkey and Syria.

Obama Bypasses Senate to Name New Envoys

Obama Appoints Deputy Attorney General, Bypassing Republicans

Obama bypasses congress, appoints six key officials

Seattle Times - Obama Fills Posts During Recess

LA Times - Obama Bypasses Senate

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I think the Chicago style politics are alive and well in DC.

Hopefully the 112th Congress can stop governing by decree in the upcoming session.

EPA has attempted to put forth Cap and Tax 2 days before Christmas and instituted on January 2nd. I hope they first come in and defund these agencies.

And I mean all of them.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Bypassing Congress seems to be the only way he can get some of his promises filled.
It works for me.

Every president has done this. Of course, it's bad because Obama does it, but as I've always said, he's a politician. He does things politicians do. I didn't expect the second coming and those who did are now disappointed. I don't agree with everything he does, but overall, I'm pretty satisfied with him. He has very little power, but I like what he does with it for the most part.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So?

Bush used this tactic plenty of times. Did it concern you then?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This has happened many times before with other presidents. So that part of it is business as usual, however I find some of his selections quite telling.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Bypassing Congress seems to be the only way he can get some of his promises filled.

The mantra of every POTUS who does it ... their promise is more important than using the process that's in place (in place for a reason). But since you brought up his promises .. he hasn't kept many of them so I'm sure he really isn't all that concerned about keeping one or two now. The fact is, his appointments are highly questionable, and he (just like the rest of the corrupt politicians) worked around the system to do what he wants.

Originally posted by negativenihil
Bush used this tactic plenty of times. Did it concern you then?

Yes it did.
But remember - Mr. Change wasn't supposed to be doing things wrong like everyone else.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What's the big deal? Seriously, it is within the Presidents Constitutional authority (Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution) to make recess appointments. Even George Washington made recess appointments....most, if not all presidents have done this. This is nothing more than bashing Obama....because it's Obama.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed I find some of his selections quite telling.

Of course they're telling. Just like everyone's actions are telling. I think what you mean is that you disagree with them. Which is allowed.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The mantra of every POTUS who does it ... their promise is more important than using the process that's in place (in place for a reason). But since you brought up his promises .. he hasn't kept many of them so I'm sure he really isn't all that concerned about keeping one or two now. The fact is, his appointments are highly questionable, and he (just like the rest of the corrupt politicians) worked around the system to do what he wants.

So, on the one hand, you condemn him for using his Constitutional powers to keep his promises, while on the other hand, condemning him for not keeping all his promises.

Obama actually has an excellent record for keeping his promises so far.

500 Obama Promises

* Promise Kept 127

* Compromise 40

* Promise Broken 28

* Stalled 82

* In the Works 226

* Not yet rated 3

But remember - Mr. Change wasn't supposed to be doing things wrong like everyone else.

YOU think it's "wrong". I believe what you mean is that you disagree with him. I don't see anything wrong in what he's doing as regards this matter.

The Republicans have made it their life's mission to stand in his way and keep him from having any success whatsoever so they can say he failed. That's obvious to even the least political person. But I think what he's doing - by finding a way around their obstructionism - is the RIGHT thing to do. He was elected to fix the problems brought on by the Bush administration. The Republicans don't want that to happen, because Obama would appear to be successful, and that's the LAST thing they want. So he's doing what he needs to do to fulfill his promises to those who voted for him. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

So, on the one hand, you condemn him for using his Constitutional powers to keep his promises, while on the other hand, condemning him for not keeping all his promises.

Backatchya. He pushed through controversial appointments during a recess. YOU are the one that just said they were pushed through to 'keep his promises'. What the reality is, is that he pushed through Eric Holder's buddy. Chicago politics

Obama actually has an excellent record for keeping his promises so far.

So you and they say. The rest of us see Bush43 part II .. and a white house full of lobbyists.

YOU think it's "wrong". I believe what you mean is that you disagree with him. I don't see anything wrong in what he's doing as regards this matter.

1 - It is wrong. No need to put it in quotes. It's wrong. It's wrong when the republicans do it; it's wrong when the democrats do it; and it's wrong when Obama, who said he'd be different, does it.
2 - OF COURSE you dont see anythign wrong with what he's doing.
You've made it very clear that you just LUV the guy.

The Republicans have made it their life's mission to stand in his way

... thank God. Standing in the way of something that will ruin the country even more is a good thing.

So he's doing what he needs to do to fulfill his promises to those who voted for him. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah .. okay ... so in 2012 if Newt (god forbid) gets elected POTUS .. and he fills appointments during a recess so that there is no vetting ... and he fills them with controversial hard-right Cheney cronies .... that'll be just fine with you ... right? Sure.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd love to know why he was so hell bent on sending an ambassador back to Syria after we pulled out of Syria in 2005 due to Syria's known and blatant ties to terror groups. What a nice gesture for a nation hell bent on maintaining chaos in the Middle East and around the world.

Nice move Obama. None of these candidates were vetted by Congress yet due to concerns over their qualifications and connections. Then again Obama wouldn't understand the need to employ someone qualified for the job would he??.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Yeah .. okay ... so in 2012 if Newt (god forbid) gets elected POTUS .. and he fills appointments during a recess so that there is no vetting ... and he fills them with controversial hard-right Cheney cronies .... that'll be just fine with you ... right? Sure.

God forbid, but If Newt Gingrich gets elected president, I'll be going after VALID concerns. Not petty issues like his birth certificate, making recess appointments or how much money he spends on his vacation.

There are VALID reasons to go after Obama.

And yeah, I know...
Back at me. Yeah, I get it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Not petty issues like his birth certificate, making recess appointments or how much money he spends on his vacation.
There are VALID reasons to go after Obama.

Yep .. backatchya.

1 - Wanting all POTUS' to be legitimately in office is a valid concern.
2 - Seeing any POTUS pushing through recess appointments is a valid concern. Especially when the POTUS is sneaking in buddies of corruptocrats like Eric Holder. Especially when that POTUS said he wouldn't behave like the others.
3 - How much of OUR TAX MONEY he spends on all his vacations is a valid concern.
(you left that part out ... OUR TAX MONEY)
4 - This is a discussion board .. so we can discuss it all. What doesn't concern you, concerns others. Guess you will just have to tolerate the fact that what you easily dismiss for Obama, is a valid discussion topic for others.

God forbid, but If Newt Gingrich gets elected president,

On that we can agree. OMG! YIKES!

edit on 12/30/2010 by FlyersFan because: added the NEWT statement

new topics

top topics

join