It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake this morning in ohio(and Indiana), anyone else feel it? (dayton area)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
So i rolled over in bed this morning and was in that half awake state where you just lay there, and all of a sudden the entire house began to shake. I was overwhelmed by this really weird feeling, I was experienceing my first earthquake, and I am in Dayton, Ohio. I tried to search the web but i couldnt find anythng out. This happend like 10 minutes ago from right now. My mom rushed into my room right after it happened because it woke her up in her bed.
It just so weird that i experienced my first earthquake ever in my life at 23 and in ohio. crazy. Anyone else feel anything????
just found this : earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 30-12-2010 by robertnesta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

Hey there robertnesta! yup I felt it too, one state over--about 20 minutes ago by now. I've tried to discover what it might have been. All is quiet here. I must say if it was an earthquake, it is not like any other I've experienced. It felt almost more like a sonic boon. My whole house (which is brick) shook on its foundation. I'm torn between wondered if it came from below or above. Weird! Be interested to hear if there are others who just experienced this.
Annabanana

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i knew i wasnt crazy now i dont feel so bad replying off topic in other threads. i felt it here in indiana

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

Heya Robert, just heard about this on the TV, was about a 4.2 I think.

What you were probably felling was naseau from the ground movement, which can be up/down, side to side, or both. My brother lived in California for a few years, and I remember him telling me about the naseau (similar to sea sickness). He didn't know what it was, and a local told him they just had an earthquake.

There was also a 5.1 in Puerto Rico, and I think one in England yesterday. Rare for England I believe, as well as Indiana.

Well, congratulations on surviving your first(hopefully last!) earthquake, print out some t-shirts for the town (I survived the Quake of 2010!) and make some green!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
WOW!!!! That was crazy....I've never in my 25 years of living experienced something like that. They say it was only a 4.2 on the news so Im very fearful of anything bigger than that because to me and my family, that was really scary. I was drinking late last night till maybe 2-3am with friends so I was completely knocked out this morning then something just made me sit and and stare around when all of a sudden....boom!!! A loud long rumble that lasted for about 15-30 sec. I ran upstairs where my girlfriend and 2 year old daughter was already awaken from the event.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It was magnitude 4.2 centered in West Liberty, Indiana
hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Didn't notice it in Columbus. It's probably the earth getting sick to it's stomach because we elected John Kasich
edit on Thu December 30th, 2010 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
www.indystar.com... 3.8 magnitude earthquake in north central Indiana

There's not supposed to be earthquakes in Indiana, rite?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I am in Ft. Wayne, Indiana - I thought I heard something this morning but didn't give it much thought. Indiana and Ohio can have quakes but rarely do. Will check later to see whats up with this.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Alittle bumpin and grindin in the early mornin

Nope,. didnt feel a thing here in wisconsin..
I should call my sister in Tn. ask if she heard anything
edit on 30-12-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by deathproof

Earth Quakes in Indiana are not uncommon, however it is rare that one has an epicenter so far north.

When we do have an earthquake, it is usually in the south west part of the state where the fault line runs.

About 3 years ago there was a 4.7 earthquake very close to Vincennes Indiana, I was visiting some college friends, and had just gotten to bed about 4:00 am when it happened.

Earth Quakes don't happen that often in Indiana so when you feel one, most people are pretty confused at first.

(funny note: when the earthquake happened a fraternity brother of mine and his girlfriend came running into the room I was in completely naked and scared half to death, they had no idea what had happened and thought it may be a tornado (how I don't know))

I am in Lafayette, and was still in bed when this one hit, so I didn't feel it, but do question it being so far north and close to the airforce base.
edit on 30-12-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Just read in link provided by deathproof that a quake has never occured in this area ever. So what does that mean? Do we have a previously undiscovered fault? Anyone feel aftershocks? I have felt plenty of quakes when I lived in California so I know the feeling and I must say I was always a little shook no matter how small or large they were.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well I'd say it means the new madrid fault is gonna split wide open,.
soon,...
where is Puterman?
someone put on the "Puterman Light"

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am also in Dayton. Didn't feel the earthquake but they do happen here from time to time. In June there was one and I remember one down in Cincinnati not too far back. The one today was downgraded to a 3.8 here in Dayton. I remember another one back in 1980-81 maybe? I was five or six but it was a big deal back then.

Maybe it has something to do with this massive heatwave we are having today! 50 degrees!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hackimus

Yea that rumble is something

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The earthquake was felt so far away, compared to earthquakes in other regions, because the old, rigid bedrock beneath much of the Midwest allows the tremor to propagate further.
en.wikipedia.org...
That's way a quake in IL. will shake buildings in Canada

edit on 113131p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
To be honest, I wouldn't worry much about it (at least not yet).

As I mentioned Earthquakes have happened in Indiana in the past, and will again in the future.

They don't happen often, but they are not uncommon.

I wouldn't worry about the New Madrid fault line breaking wide open any time soon, the fault is just adjusting it'self, that's all.

Now if we have a major earthquake, or several earthquakes over a short period of time, then we can worry, till then it's nothing to worry about.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I read this was not the New Madrid fault - have to go back to find the name of the one that it is.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I felt it. I was laying in bed waiting for the insomnia to let me fall back to sleep. I heard a lot of sirens and then my bed started shaking like mad.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm in Northwest Ohio and I didn't feel anything, but I was also sound asleep.

There was one earlier this year that I did feel.

I thought a transformer had exploded nearby but the next day the news said it was an earthquake.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I read this was not the New Madrid fault - have to go back to find the name of the one that it is.

For their sake I hope it's not. One of the longest and most brutal earthquakes ever recorded was on the New Madrid Fault. I remember watching a whole show about it. The shaking didn't stop for something like 10 days, which is absolutely insane. A 30 second quake of intensity is enough to scare the crap out of you.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12/30/2010 by pjslug because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/30/2010 by pjslug because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join