It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's Gravity Could Be Tapped to Call E.T.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Sun's Gravity Could Be Tapped to Call E.T.

Our own sun might represent the best communications device around, if only we could harness its power, scientists say. If the sun's gravity could be used to create a giant telescope, people could send and receive intensely magnified signals that could allow us to call an alien civilization, some researchers propose.

Source article at Space.com

An interesting report at Space.com I thought I'd share.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
You know I was just saying “I don’t think ATS could get any worse” and what a coincidence your thread showed up in the Chatroom.

I wonder if it was a sign by the E.T. gods that I have telepathic abilities to connect with the mothership and see into the future using advanced technology by the Glucktagoots.

What in the world are you talking about?! How is this poppycock in any way??

I saw this article somewhere else and I was blown away. This has real potential. Awesome stuff!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

Well, I'll admit a mere nine-year delay in communications is the best we've managed so far. Do I still have to dial 9 before I can call Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
While this concept would reduce the amount of power needed to transmit/receive messages, the signals still need to travel at the speed of light. So...unless there are E.T.'s hanging out in their radio bunker at Alpha Centauri, then communicating with E.T.'s will take a LONG time, right?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Using it for communication is an interesting concept, but I would have like the article to elaborate on viewing distant objects....Nevertheless, I think it's very forward thinking. Outside the box, so to speak.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
it is a great concept but it kind of sounds like a what if kinda thing, i d not understand how they would get around the whole idea that nothing can travel faster then the speed of light wich limits any kind of distant communication , maybe i am missing something it definatley starts hurting ones head keeping all the theorys and rules as we know them in mind when contiplating these things.

nice find tho OP

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hmm. Gravitic lensing. Interesting concept for communication.
Too bad the nearest star is still much to far to really "communicate" with.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Why come on these sorts of threads you religous nutjob!!!!!!!
this guy was on a previous thread hammering athiests!

Great find OP S+F!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

We have been broadcasting our existence since before the first Radio. I personally would not want to broadcast our existence because we don't even know if life exists outside of our own planet. What if our first contact is with a race of humanoid's who are far more advanced then us? Will they treat us as hostiles? Or as companions. We do not know, which is why anything of this magnitude of communication should not be influenced.

Let them contact us.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
i can only imagine how far we would be able to see if we could use the suns power to make a telescope. hubble can see pretty far in deep space and that runs off of grains of sand compared to what the sun can do

new topics

top topics

join