It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Brain, Right Brain Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I watched a Tv show that had some researchers on it studying if the the personality is shaped by the brain being left or right side biased. There finding where interesting to say the least and very thought provoking.

Is a person with right frontal brain asymmetry more emotionally negative, anxious and cautious. Are those with left frontal brain asymmetry gregarious, outgoing and risk takers? Finally there's a simple face pulling exercise that can help you get in touch with your left and right brain.

They have a fun test that you can do if you wish to test there theory but do it at home please

THE GRIMACE TEST.
Test taken from BERNARD B SCHIFF and MARY LAMON�s paper; �Inducing Emotion By Unilateral Contraction of Facial Muscles: A New Look at Hemispheric Specialization And the Experience of Emotion.�

Find a friend to time you and to record/write down your feedback.

Don�t forget to breathe during the test and remember to concentrate on how you feel rather than thoughts or facial sensory experiences!

Pull back, then raise the LEFT corner of your mouth for 45 seconds

Report to your friend how you feel

Pull back, then raise the RIGHT corner of your mouth for 45 seconds.

Report to your friend how you feel

Repeat the above instructions so that you have pulled your mouth in each direction twice before the end of the experiment.

Note this did not work for everyone they reported and some people also had very strong reactions as well.

When contracting the mouth muscles to their left side, they were accessing the right side of their brain.
People felt a feeling of dysphoria or sadness
When contracting their mouth muscles to the right side, they were accessing the left side of their brain
These results were harder to pinpoint but appeared to create a mixture of positive affect and aggression

Source webpage

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That's... pretty darn weird. Doesn't work for me, but it's pretty darn interesting!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
All it did for me was make both sides hurt thanks to my mouth full of metal. I guess this test doesn't work too well for people with braces!

join