It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I breaking the Law?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Inciting religious hatred is to be made a criminal offence under plans unveiled by Home Secretary David Blunket.
He said he was returning to the plans as there was a need to stop people being abused or targeted just because they held a particular religious faith.
Comedians such as Rowan Atkinson raised fears the law change could have outlawed jokes about religion.
The Blackadder star suggested Monty Python's Life of Brian would not have been made if the law had been in force."

So where is the line to be drawn. Can we still criticise religion in the UK? I can understand punishment if someone is saying Christians or Muslims should be harmed or killed for their beliefs but what is the definition of "inciting hatred"? I for one, don't care much for organised religions and I have written a few posts here that question some of it's motives. Am I therefore inciting hatred?

I also find this law to be a complete hypocrisy. Religion itself incites hatred. If you do not follow their doctrines you are sent to hell. Have they forgotten the millions killed in the past and today, who have been victims of their religions?

Maybe I should sue the Churches.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This is another case of people wanting others to do things their way, and no other way.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Hmm I think you can still criticise religion, but you can't abuse people because of their religious beliefs:

"The issue is not whether you have an argument or discussion or whether you are criticising someone's religion. It's whether you incite hatred on the basis of it," he said.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Inciting religious hatred is to be made a criminal offence under plans unveiled by Home Secretary David Blunket.
He said he was returning to the plans as there was a need to stop people being abused or targeted just because they held a particular religious faith.
Comedians such as Rowan Atkinson raised fears the law change could have outlawed jokes about religion.
The Blackadder star suggested Monty Python's Life of Brian would not have been made if the law had been in force."

So where is the line to be drawn. Can we still criticise religion in the UK? I can understand punishment if someone is saying Christians or Muslims should be harmed or killed for their beliefs but what is the definition of "inciting hatred"? I for one, don't care much for organised religions and I have written a few posts here that question some of it's motives. Am I therefore inciting hatred?

I also find this law to be a complete hypocrisy. Religion itself incites hatred. If you do not follow their doctrines you are sent to hell. Have they forgotten the millions killed in the past and today, who have been victims of their religions?

Maybe I should sue the Churches.

I agree hate crimes must be punished I am seeing the US goverment doing the same thing though they are attacking religion too I mean they say one form of hate crime is the destruction of its symbols, buildings, texts etc.

I mean they are tearing down religious things all the time look at the ten commandments statue in arkansas i think it was and legislation to remove any reference of religious symbols words etc from whashington momuments that where made into the buildings themselfs when they where built over 100 years ago and a new attempt to rewrite the anthym for the USA to exclude references to God and removing in God we trust from money

it seems that the goverment needs to quit commiting hate crimes before they can legislate them and enforce the laws themselfs

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Problem these days is, telling what religion you are part of, or telling you don't believe in anything is often enough to incite religious hatred :@

I was in a conversation with someone on IRC a while back who said he was part of some Tele preachers church in the US and he asked me what religeon I was part of and if I wouldn't join his.

When I said I don't really believe in any of the available religeons, he started spitting bible verses at me and stuff his preacher said, and was trying to convert me.

I reply'd to his comments with fact funded comments and statements of my own beliefs, and then when I was having the upper hand in the conversation(after like 5 minutes :p) he started treatening me and saying he would have attacks on my person aranged and that he would "hack" me.

Half an hour later, my routers logs were starting to show "ping dos" attacks(the most basic Denial of Service attack posible) wich is automaticly rejected by my router, and so weak that it barely showed on my transfer logs, best part is, it was comming straight from his IP.

Then I sent him a message to ask him to stop, because it was plain anoying. So he thought he was actualy succeeding in dossing me ...

Then after about an hour, my firewall started getting hits from more DoS type attacks and some old WinNuke attacks(only work on unpatched Windows 95 installs ... I'm running Linux ...) Still all comming from his very own IP.

Because he just wouldn't stop and I was a bit bored, I logged what he was doing to send it to his ISP.

Then logged on to a leased server of a hosting Co I do admin work for and slapped his silly connection offline.

After this sending the logs to his ISP. Now hes stuck with 56k AOL dialup since that day. Now about 2 years ago. And luckely he avoids talking to me.

Most of you will now say "yeah, that was propably some 10-16 year old kid", well, I know who this person is. I met him on a flightsim website.
Hes a professional airline pilot, 53 years old and before this conversation, he mainly had very inteligable things to say, when it comes to aircraft and FlightSim2000/2004 topics.

So these days, when someone asks you a question and you reply to it with answers that he/she doesn't like, your open for attacks.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's about time!! I'm tired of being referred to as "the I word" (Infidel)

Even ones that appear to like me would murder their daughter if she brought me home.

This culture of hate must be stopped!!

Ya right. Somehow I suspect this law wasn't enacted to keep ME from getting MY throat slit.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
On the same day in the UK.......

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Tony Blair is under pressure to ban from Britain a controversial Muslim cleric due to speak at several events.
Egyptian-born Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi has been accused of making anti-Semitic remarks and supporting suicide bombers
In an interview with Wednesday's BBC Newsnight, Mr Al-Qaradawi claims suicide bombings were "martyrdom in the name of God".
He said: "It is allowed to jeopardise your soul and cross the path of the enemy and be killed, if this act of jeopardy affects the enemy, even if it only generates fear in their hearts, shaking their morale, making them fear Muslims.
"If it does not affect the enemy then it is not allowed.""

You can bet your fur that if this guy is allowed in to the UK to preach his message of hatred, he will be allowed to do so freely.

top topics

join