It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lamo/Manning Wikileaks chat logs contain no unpublished references to Assange or private servers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Lamo/Manning Wikileaks chat logs contain no unpublished references to Assange or private servers

www.boingboing.net

That's kind of a big deal, because the published portions of the logs do not support or back up the statements Adrian Lamo seems to have been making. And that would mean that his claims are based solely on opinion, not based on evidence in the chat logs.

IANAL, but this would not appear to be good news for anyone attempting or threatening to prosecute Julian Assange and/or Wikileaks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is sooo very important folks.... And the only reason is how this information could be used in a trial of Assange...

All of the other personalities are immaterial... Especially Lamo, as he's just one eccentric guy who probably never tells the same story twice...

Read this article, draw your conclusions, and ponder what the impact of that may be... Keep in mind, that this is about freedom of the press as it relates to assange... Even while at the same time it is indeed about treason as it relates to manning.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

OHHH man, now that the gatekeeper has all the aces and the big joker, what are the implications? Do you think they'll place gag orders on Manning and Assange before they proceed with a "traitor" case?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The winds of change are blowing and d.c's house of cards is about to fall apart... Looks like theyll have to make up a new story now to try to prosecute..

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Not all of their communications were through online servers. There was mention of phone conversations as well.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Not all of their communications were through online servers. There was mention of phone conversations as well.

Making up your own story again? The only conversation before the chat were some emails. But Lamo said, he could not read them, because they were encrypted and he did not use that public key anymore. So finally he sent back a mail, suggesting to meet in the chat.

The "somebody helped him story" was started by Lamo later, when he said, he had talked to someone in Boston, who told him, that he helped Manning to set up encryption software.

As was reported some people in Boston were visited and asked some questions. But nobody else was arrested yet. One of his acquaintances from Boston even visits Manning regularly.
edit on 30-12-2010 by Siddharta because: added a c

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

Do some research and you will see what I am talking about. In addition to chat logs, emails were also exchanged between the 2. You can also search that to confirm for yourself that I am not making anything up, as you like to accuse me of doing any chance you get.

I will even help you out some -

fdlaction.firedoglake.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Anytime anyone makes a claim without backing it up with supporting documentation, then they will be asked to provide proof

Of which you have not done yet

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
@Xcathdra
Now I am really curious: Where do you read anything about mail contacts in that article?
A phone is mentioned indeed, but it has nothing to do with Manning himself.

Slowly I understand, why you think to see things, others don't...

edit on 30-12-2010 by Siddharta because: add the recipient to avoid confusion

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
Slowly I understand, why you think to see things, others don't

or maybe its because others who wish to beleive the man can do no wrong, refuse to see info that is present because it contradicts your view.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Obviously you are not able to quote the part, where Lamo talks about "email contact" or even "phone calls".
If you dig a little at the site you linked, then you will find this:

LAMO: [Sound of rustling papers] First contact was by email. GREENWALD: And can you tell me generally what he said? LAMO: I can’t unfortunately. It’s cryptographically impossible since he encrypted it to an outdated PGP key of mine. GREENWALD: So were you unable to understand what he said in that first email? LAMO: Correct. First, second, and third at the very least. I get a lot of random email and the hassle of decrypting it even if I had the key would be enough to push it back about a week or so in my “to read” stack. GREENWALD: Right. So when you got this email that you were incapable of deciphering did you respond to him in some way, or what did you do? LAMO: I ignored it for the first couple of hours and then I received a few subsequent emails and then I finally replied, “Hey I can’t read your emails encrypted to a PGP key I no longer have access to. Why don’t we chat via AOL IM instead?”

Lamo contact to Manning

But I know, even if you accept this here in this thread, you will start with your own story in the next thread again...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Good thread HunkaHunka.

This bombshell was dropped yesterday via the pre-trial hearing:

A government digital forensic expert examing the computer of accused WikiLeaks source Bradley Manning retrieved communications between Manning and an online chat user identified on Manning’s computer as “Julian Assange,” the name of the founder of the secret-spilling site that published hundreds of thousands of U.S. diplomatic cables.

Investigators also found an Icelandic phone number for Assange, and a chat with a hacker located in the U.S., in which Manning says he’s responsible for the leaking of the “Collateral Murder” Apache helicopter video released by WikiLeaks in spring 2010.

Until Monday’s revelation, there have been no reports that the government had evidence linking Manning and Assange, other than chat logs provided to the FBI by hacker Adrian Lamo last year. Assange is being investigated by a federal grand jury, but has not been charged with any crime, since publishing classified information is not generally considered a crime in the U.S. But if prosecutors could show that Assange directed Manning in leaking government documents that he then published, this could complicate Assange’s defense that WikiLeaks is simply a journalistic endeavor.

Does this seem a tad convenient ? I find it incredibly difficult to believe that for the person spearheading a whistle blowing website, Assange would be referenced so easily. Reading further:

Assange’s name was attached to a chat handle “[email protected]” listed in Manning’s buddy list in the Adium chat program on his computer. That Jabber address uses the same domain name allegedly mentioned by Manning in the chat logs that ex-hacker Adrian Lamo gave to the FBI and to Wired.com last year. In that earlier chat log, Manning was making reference to a domain that Assange was known to use.

Possible ? certainly is but I would think given the sensitive nature of these documents more appropriate tactics would have been used. Manning is done, that's abundantly clear, but what remains for Assange will make for a new Hollywood blockbuster no doubt.

src

brill
edit on 20-12-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

top topics

join