It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the earliest video game you remember playing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

That's awesome.

We got a Vic 20 in 1982 (maybe???) for Christmas. I remember Pitfall, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, some racing game, and also a MUD style game that was just for one player.

I always used to get eaten alive by the chiggers.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Ah nostalgia. I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I had to post. When I was a little kid my parents had an Intellivision, a Colecovision, an Atari, a Commodore 64 and a Odyssey. We even had a closet full of JUST games and the accessories. They were gamers before I was even born lol. But the first one I remember playing for myself would be a tie (as I do not remember clearly, I was a mere baby) between Armor Battle for the Intellivision or B.C. for the Commodore. Ah... memories... fuzzy, fuzzy memories.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I had an atari in somewhere in the late 70's I think.. Maybe early 80's Pacman and missle command for the win!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I remember a friend having a panasonic 3DO which didnt do too well in australia as I barely knew any one who had one

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by theRhenn

LINK LINK LINK

Man, i remember 5"14 floppies with that name.

I don't think I played it, but still played today you say?

Man the author must be chuffed to bits!!!

Not sure what the copyright is on that. Its more less a windowed server/player game. Still quite enjoyable. Goes to show that graphics isnt always what makes a game interesting. If you're into ecconomic games, this is the one for you.

M.U.L.E.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

used to play the heck out of this.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
First game ever on this end:

Can't win. Just.....can't...win!

We're all gonna diiiiiiiiiiiie!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I could only think of 4.... pitfall, E.T., Haunted House and one with the Kool Aid guy lol....

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Scorched Earth... I had that game
It was pretty good, but sadly it had issues on my computer once I upgraded from DOS

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
earliest games i remember playing...

-oregon trail
-lode runner(one of the greatest games ever invented)
-where in the world is carmen sandiego
-picnic?( i think that's what it was called, it's a bunch of ants running around a picnic blanket)
-captain comet(another of the greatest games ever invented)(until elder scrolls, fallout, need for speed, etc, etc..)
-and pitfall of course

ahhh the good ol' days of dos prompts and atari joysticks... wow, how far we have come

edit on 4-1-2011 by schitzoandro because: add

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i had a tatung einstein computer and played chucky egg and oh mummy.
pc gaming sucked even in the 80's, fun gaming started when i got a sega master system with alex kidd.

edit on 4-1-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
In primary school, I dunno probably year 3 or 4, we had one computer and we had to book it to use it during breaks, there would be like a week wait lol, just to play Space Invaders, that would be my first computer game.

Then a couple of years later we got these little square macs and there was this little helicopter game that was all the rage!

Ahh the good old days....

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Pong was my first as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
ooh, it was e.t. on the atari! but my first memorable game was good ol mario brothers. spent alot of time repeatedly jumpin on that turtle shell for a hundred 1ups!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

We had the original Atari system and played Pong against each other for hours. When I think about that game compared to what is out now, it is astonishing. Of course, I dated myself very very much just now. Why when I was a kid a hamburger was 27 cents. (Shaking my head at myself.)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAY1980

Anyone remember this?
Up,Up,Down,Down,Left,Right,Left,Right,A,B,Select,Start

Um, not until you just said that!
Now, help my old, addled brain and remind me what game it was. I remember that, but not the game.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I think I am the first to mention this game, but in the 80's I played games at the arcades that were everywhere and one that always had me standing in front of it for hours was Tempest. This game rocked my world and is one of the only games I ever mastered before the advent of sites like Pogo. I have a major eye-hand coordination thing, so it is a wonder that I was so good at this game.

Here is a time lapse pic of a level change.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ccf726a451d0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Star Trek text game on So IL Univ's mainframe

Then zork & Star Wars & Super Wumpus on my TRS-80
pong
too many hours on Asteroids, Pacman & Donkey Kong.

I gave up playing video games after the babe I just picked up walked out on me while I was getting a high score in PacMan.

Haven't played since.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
crap on the atari.

some airplane game, like you could be a giant pink looking plane or 3 helos.

Superman on atari, course i had pong, and some weird racecar came, guessing i was 3?

Then came the first sega and NES, sega playing the 2 built in games, jungle hunt and some motocross game and choplifter.

nes? mario, duck hunt, zelda, that olympics game

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Well thats because of the sheer novelty of actually having some sort of control on your television set. Hell, I remember countless hours of pong with my older brother. Then when he got the atari 2600, it was like..a spiritual experience. Tanks, Missile Command, Pacman, etc.

Yep, I remember Tanks came with our Atari 2600 (which I STILL HAVE by the way, hehe...). (and I'm still the master at the bouncing tank rounds, muhahaha!)

I hooked it up a few years back, and yes, it still worked. (it even has a switch for whether you have a black and white or color tv) I have about 50 or so games for it still, though it's all packed up these days. Eventually, I hope to hook up all consoles, even the older ones.

Back when you had a stick and a button...instead of a dozen buttons, two sticks and a d-pad, LOL.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join