It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the earliest video game you remember playing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
i still live in the retro gaming world and i still think they beat modern games
amiga 500 breed 95
pong on the Atria
street rod on c64
nes Mario
super Nintendo was Mario kart
486 computer was hugo

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The earliest computer I ever had was a Vic20; I'm not sure on the date, but it would've been before I started kindergarten (which was in 1987) so this was probably a year or maybe two before that. I remember playing Space Invaders, Chess, Hangman, and a couple others that at that age I couldn't ever figure out how to play, so I've forgotten their names. One was something in a spaceship but I always got lost in space and 99% of the games I'd run out of fuel before finding a single enemy and the other 1% I'd get blown to hell by the first enemy that showed up!
There was another where you wandered around in a mall or something, but again, I didn't even know what I was supposed to do, so it wasn't too memorable. As an aside, some of those games came on cartridges, NES style, but others came on cassette tapes identical to the kinds you got music on, except that it was data rather than music. (you could play them in a cassette player but it just sounded like static or whatever)

On my first IBM PC (which, incidentally, has a crappier CPU than the calculator I used in university!) my earliest games were Tetris, Hack, (a sequel to Rogue, only I didn't get Rogue until years later) Solitile, which was a solitaire game using pictures, and Snipe, which was an ascii arcade game where you went around shooting... snipes, which looked something like this onscreen: @-> I can still remember being about five or six and getting such a good score in tetris that I overflowed the buffer (32767 points) and then I had negative points! Then one time I went into work with my dad and I was bragging to his coworker how good I was at tetris, so the guy sat me down to prove it. It was an epic fail; their work computers were 3 or 4 times faster than the one I'd played on at home and it was too hard! I was so sad that day :p

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Boulderdash on C64 anyone?

Still makes fun after 25 years ^^ -> en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-12-2010 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Super Mario World for SNES. To this day, I prefer to play old-school games as opposed to the newer ones. I don't know why; it's just one of those things.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Crash Bandicoot for the playstation 1. I was round at one of my mates house, before this I'd never really been interested, I'd much rather have played outside. Pretty much begged my parents to buy me one then

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The very first? Pong. Favorites? Missile Command and Space Invaders. Had to be listening to "Another One Bites The Dust" while playing for the ultimate experience though. Galaga was cool. Pac Man was too easy. There was also a driving game I like. A race track simulator with a stick shift, can't remember the name though.

EDIT: Does Zork or that one cave game before it count?
edit on 30-12-2010 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Frogger & Qbert for me. My grandma had an Atari. It was the ish. That damned Qbert game was friggin hard.

MOTF!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Snake! on Atari

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Grannies Garden on the BBC Micro, I think that pre-dates nearly everything else, was released in 1983! Oh the memories!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
my first one is airborne ranger on commodore 64, i played the atari games to but i think commodore was my first.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
hunchback
frogger
choplifter

born late 70's
grown in the 80's
young by the 90's
bored in the new millenium
edit on 30-12-2010 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That would be PONG, Bob. First video game console I played would be Odyssey from Magnavox. First PC game that was non-text based was probably Castle Wolfenstein.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think it was somewhere around 5th or 6th grade when the handheld versions of "Football" came out. It was nothing more than a series of red LED's that you manipulated with U/D/L/R buttons to move YOUR red led around & past the other 3 to 4 leds to "score" at the "touchdown" mark.
Somewhere around 82 or 83 I got an Atari WITH the game "Defender", which I know I had already been playing @ the local arcade. I remember the first one I heard that actually spoke, which was "Gorf" (I think), similar to Galaga or Galaxian. Ah, those bring up another memory of a crazy aunt I had that worked @ a convenience store that hosted a galaxian arcade game. I went to "help" her @ work one day & she opened the machine & took all the quarters out & let me slide them all back in. I had like 300 credits so I played till I was sick of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Super Mario Brothers

en.wikipedia.org...

I still play this game occasionally. I love it. After that it was #3, then on to Donkey Kong and eventually Zelda.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Mother of all games (witch it was called ) Scorched Earth
for PC with my cousin

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6de2355f36e.png[/atsimg]

Good tread S&F
edit on 30-12-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I was born in 1970.

The first games I remember were pong and asteroids. When the 80's started I remember playing Donkey Kong and pacman. During that time my neighbor got a home Atari system and my family bought an intelivision so we played those from time to time when I wasn't busy with all my sports and skateboarding which took most of my time. We really didn't stay indoors all that much.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
LoL I can already tell this is going to make me feel old. Super Mario brothers on NES would be one. But before that I was playing some stuff on a commodore 64... Wow those were the days. Dig-Dug, Frogger.... Who could forget Pit Fall. Im going to be reminiscing all day now about the simple 8bit days when games would make you have an ulcer because they were so hard. These days games are made for "Everyone" so the hardcore aspect is not really there anymore.

Anyone remember this?
Up,Up,Down,Down,Left,Right,Left,Right,A,B,Select,Start

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My first video game was so long ago that my memory dosen't go back that far but it was something on a Vic-20 in the early 80's.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
During my high school years, video games just started to hit the video arcades. We thought the first one was awesome... Pong.

Than we were blown away with... Asteroids and the trackball controller.

Than the ultimate colored video game.... Space Invaders

And than there was everyone's favorite...Pac Man
(It was so popular at bars that you were lucky to get a chance to play it!).

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Asteroid... boy I'm glad the graphics have improved!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join