It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the earliest video game you remember playing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
For me it was Altered Beast on sega mega drive (genesis to some).

Also Columns, sonic the hedgehog and another mega drive title where you are some guy who is hovering and shooting things (cant remember the title!) and mario on the old NES.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Alex Kid in miracle world lol

The in built game in the original Sega...I also remember playing games like World Cup Italia 90, Golden Axe and a few others....ah, back in the stoneage

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Frogger and Donkey Kong on ATARI!!! That was so freakin' awesome way back then!!!!

AAAHHH, the memories!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm 17, i remember playing Pacman on the arcade, to the super mario 64, to Halo on the pc, to actually Doom.

Just all of those yeahhh
I love those games

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
well the earliest was not even a game...

But the first PC game (I was on the c64 for years also, ELITE was my favourite...) was an old cgi game called StarGlider.

I can't believe the games of today still really dont have what the old games did. Something about them back then, where you'd spend hours playing it... to look at them now, they are nothing.. but the games of today just seem to.. bland by comparison most of the time...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Pong!!!

*|
*|
*| -Damn-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e95ad3a013b3.png[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

You are just old and disgruntled...there are plenty of great games with fantastic storylines out there

Im a huge fan of the COD series, Medal of honour, Halo, Fallout, GTA and Gears of War...those games are anything but bland

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
That would have to be Warlords for the Atari 2600.

Although, these days, I prefer a more sophisticated fare.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ohh, ooh, I forgot about pong!!! Yay pong!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
I can't believe the games of today still really dont have what the old games did. Something about them back then, where you'd spend hours playing it... to look at them now, they are nothing.. but the games of today just seem to.. bland by comparison most of the time...

Well thats because of the sheer novelty of actually having some sort of control on your television set. Hell, I remember countless hours of pong with my older brother. Then when he got the atari 2600, it was like..a spiritual experience. Tanks, Missile Command, Pacman, etc.

I think when Atari 2600 came out, many people realized the video game industry truely did arrive..it would quickly become the key to any happy childhood's collection, and was a complete savior to parents wanting to regain a bit of adult time back.

Todays game is no longer a novelty item..now its taken for granted, which means the storylines have to be intense, the graphics pushing the limits, and the people will still demand more, barely impressed by anything, because the competition out there is fierce to capture the attention of the audience. A bit like the first automobiles on the market verses the automobile industry of today. Its not like what we have today sucks by comparison, actually, by every measurable way, it is far better...just no longer a novelty.

link   
I'm not sure which one was first. My parents got me a little robot that hooked up to a tv and played "games" with me, which were basically math problems and hangman. The robot would move and light up. Then we had an Atari and I got really good at super breakout.

link   
Dunno about first but my fisrt fav's have gotta be the Donkey Kong Country seiries and Zelda on the SNES
Loved those games!
Also when I was a bit more mature Suikoden I+II, Valkyire Profile and Alundra 1 all on PS1

Agreed about games these days, graphically gorgeous but often lacking character and depth, not in all cases ofc! (Halo, Metal Gear.etc)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
ZORK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a green screen IBM...

link   
Totally Pong.

We would fix the "paddles" and go all day.

Also, as above, Pacman and Frogger as well as Galaga, Donkey Kong and Tetris...because the arcade geek had a crush on me so my friends and I could play as much as we wanted.

Ah, those were the days, free tokens.
If only Chucky Cheese would comp my seven year old.

edit on 30/12/2010 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by q_ball

Pong for me as well! Lost interest pretty quick though! No match for my football, pushbike, Cricket bat, tennis raquet, skateboard, fishing rod, rollerskates or trading cards!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by badw0lf

You are just old and disgruntled...there are plenty of great games with fantastic storylines out there

Im a huge fan of the COD series, Medal of honour, Halo, Fallout, GTA and Gears of War...those games are anything but bland

Haha, Old and disgruntled about sums it up

Oohh fallout, ok I'll concede that, and even throw in bioshock for the noir value it oozed.

But COD.. Hrmmm, MP sure, but they've definitely strayed into the less plot & console feel == sales area of gaming. That the people who effectively MADE the series have all been sacked by IW and started their own company, giving treyarch free reign... pains me..

Ahhh but I still miss the feeling I had as a nipper, playing CGI games when it was a thrill..

Much like I miss dialup modems before speed became the issue. Just having streams of text from another PC somewhere else, was fascinating to me.

I'll stop being old now.. *strains, pulls face, grunts* doesn't work, DAMNIT!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Also, as above, Pacman and Frogger as well as Galaga, Donkey Kong and Tetris...

You are weak and worthless for not putting Tron, Space Invaders, or Missile Command in your list (removes half your nerd points out of punishments)

And for god sakes...does nobody have love for Qbert?!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
for me, it was going to chucky cheese with my folks, and playing dig dug with my dad, or playing dragons lair.
god I miss those days, .............and my folks

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
PITFALL!! on that old Atari....Wow, I forgot all about that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by badw0lf

Well thats because of the sheer novelty of actually having some sort of control on your television set. Hell, I remember countless hours of pong with my older brother. Then when he got the atari 2600, it was like..a spiritual experience. Tanks, Missile Command, Pacman, etc.

Man, we also had one of those dedicated PONG boxes... thats ALL it did. two paddles with a turny knob on it, plug it into the tv and the family would ooh and ahh.. lol

I never got any consoles, went direct to PC's, sharp MZ-700 (lol no graphics to speak of, but the games were still fun) then a c64 and one good local C64 club meant games were never missing.

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I think when Atari 2600 came out, many people realized the video game industry truely did arrive..it would quickly become the key to any happy childhood's collection, and was a complete savior to parents wanting to regain a bit of adult time back.

I did enjoy it when my cousin would bring his over and us kids would play non stop. Kinda like Timezone without having to use 20 cent peices!!

Todays game is no longer a novelty item..now its taken for granted, which means the storylines have to be intense, the graphics pushing the limits, and the people will still demand more, barely impressed by anything, because the competition out there is fierce to capture the attention of the audience. A bit like the first automobiles on the market verses the automobile industry of today. Its not like what we have today sucks by comparison, actually, by every measurable way, it is far better...just no longer a novelty.

Thats it in a nutshell!! Exactly what I was trying to say. It's taken for granted, everything is these days.

I often think about how my old man would look at the stuff we can do on PC's today, he was right into it with me as a kid, he'd be absolutely astounded by what we can do these days.

edit on 30/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join