It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NPR introduces the public to psychiatry's DSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Those who have been following psychiatry for a while have undoubtedly heard a lot about their "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual" (DSM). And though I am not an assiduous media watcher, I have never before heard mention of it in the public media.

In this All Things Considered story, reporter Alix Spiegel interviews Allen Frances, who edited the last edition of DSM, and is now thinking twice about what he and others allowed into it.

Link to the story: www.npr.org...

The DSM contains a list of numeric codes and descriptions of "mental illnesses" that psychiatrists use to bill for services.

One example is a mild form of autism called "Asperger's Disorder." He says that he believes that children who were simply socially unskilled started getting diagnosed with Asperger's to give doctors and schools access to funding that was only available to help autistic children.

Frances also believes that "...lots of people got way too much antipsychotic and mood stabilizing medicines" because of a change in the definition of bipolar disorder. "And these aren't safe drugs."

Frances predicts that if the new DSM includes all changes that have been recommended, a huge number of new people will be categorized as mentally ill.

This strategy of controlling people by labelling them mentally ill has been known about since at least the 1960's. I'm glad it's finally getting some attention in the mainstream media.

See also ATS thread "Psychiatrists expose the fraud of psychiatry":
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Here is a link to a few papers challenging psychiatry as it stands today www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

It is a hard job working with one of the most complex devices we know. There does appear to be some conflicts of interest going on between drug makers and the DSM. There are many reasons why we feel bad or cannot sleep at times, personally I prefer to look for those reasons instead of taking some drugs and washing it all away. There are some conditions where drugs are important and make a big difference. It is good more media attention and public debate is going on to help find the right balance.

join