It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New & Incredible! Mars Spirit Rover - Images Of Huge Base Station on Mars! You Have 2 See This!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I don't even know where to begin with this one, someone please explain to me what I am seeing in these images??

Here is the LINK to the original JPL images:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cef7a113d806.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a442c762de8.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's an enhanced, cropped version of the same image:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2109d48fdbe.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on Wed Dec 29 2010 by Jbird because: Removed all Caps title

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sorry to report this but I am certain that a thread was just closed as a "Hoax" concerning this. I am sure a Mod will come by and offer more explanation.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

My Mom noticed these several years ago! They are reflections in the lens hood. That's why they appear to be along a line in the Martian sky.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
You are only looking at rock escarpments.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
yes, they are part of the rover.

there is a thread somewhere here.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
Sorry to report this but I am certain that a thread was just closed as a "Hoax" concerning this. I am sure a Mod will come by and offer more explanation.

With all due respect, I would love to hear the explanation as these images were downloaded directly from NASA's own website. I really don't see how they can be reflections as these images are taken from 2 separate cameras (R & L)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
yes, they are part of the rover.

there is a thread somewhere here.

I haven't completely ruled out the possibility, but would someone please show me this thread?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Besides the building shapes, what about the apparent cloud formations in the background? Are we 100% sure these photos are taken on Mars, and not on Earth? Like, is this from a test run on Earth?

Never mind, I see what this is now. The center object that appears as a building is actually a reflection of the wheel below. The line running right below it is some sort of reflective metal shroud above the camera. See how it obstructs the view of the sky?

If you look carefully, to the right of the photo, you can see the round shadow on the ground reflected above it in the shroud.
edit on 29-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yo peeps, It’s da bottom of da solar panel man!!!!

(Cough cough)

It is from the front obstical cam which is located under the solar panel on the front of the main vehicle body. So the top part of the image is taken up with a view of the bottom of the panel.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
men..look some centimeters over the horizen...the rover parts start..looks like its a part of horizen but its the rover..and in the part of the rover you see some stuff mirroring from the rover..

just look right over the real horizon..the the rover parts start...to bad its not a color pic so you would see what i eman..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You are looking at the underside of a protruding lip above the camera.The rock formations in the center are mars, the layer above is space and the place where you see the "buildings is the rover. The "buildings" are just parts of the rover close up.

K

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
looks like a mirror reflection...

maybe a visor on the rover?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
How new are these?
I have seen these pics on ATS before and explained.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Savage Khan
You are looking at the underside of a protruding lip above the camera.The rock formations in the center are mars, the layer above is space and the place where you see the "buildings is the rover. The "buildings" are just parts of the rover close up.

K

Fair enough but....what's above the "buildings" then? It looks like sky if you view the originals up close??

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
How new are these?
I have seen these pics on ATS before and explained.

I'm not sure how new they are but JPL has them labeled as "*new" on the website. My guess is they're part of the last downlink they received as they are at the top of the list.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I have to agree with it being the lens hood.

Look at the "horizion" the the building rests on. It has "dots" evenly spaced along the "top of the dune".

Now, on the far right of the picture. Look at the dunes. You will see the real horizion, it vanishes behind the rocky foreground.

Hope I figured it out, I don't know of another thread. If I did, I would be sure to include a link to my claim (just sayin')

EDIT

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17784170dfcb.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12/29/2010 by adigregorio because: Picture

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
I have to agree with it being the lens hood.

Look at the "horizion" the the building rests on. It has "dots" evenly spaced along the "top of the dune".

Now, on the far right of the picture. Look at the dunes. You will see the real horizion, it vanishes behind the rocky foreground.

Hope I figured it out, I don't know of another thread. If I did, I would be sure to include a link to my claim (just sayin')

EDIT

I see what you're saying and I respect your opinion, but IMO it look as though Spirit may be sitting on a rocky outcrop in an elevated position overlooking the "sand dunes". Furthermore, the top left of one of these images clearly shows semi-circular piece of the rovers equipment obscuring the view slightly above the "buildings"?? I'm confused

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Here I added some more "color" to help explain.

(I don't have photoshop installed yet, so sorry for the nastiness!)

(Sky blue)
(Dune tan)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2880729b17a5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Here I added some more "color" to help explain.

(I don't have photoshop installed yet, so sorry for the nastiness!)

(Sky blue)
(Dune tan)

Thanks for your hard work, I kinda see what you're saying. Are there any other examples of this "illusion" that you know of?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It's not really an illusion.

More like a mirror over the top half of the picture. Everything "above" the dots (I circled blue) seems to be refleceted.

If I had a better paint program I could color it in better. You can see the shadows of the two "other buildings" on the ground (right and left respectivly)

Though I will say that the middle one doesn't seem to have a corrisponding shadow, other than a small "rectangle" off-center. Not sure how distorted the picture is from center to outer rim (It seems to be a "fish-eye" picture. If so, that could cause the "rectangle shadow" to become much larger.

Lastly, I am not saying it isn't a building. I am just pointing out what my eyes are seeing in the picture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join