It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Internet a very large-scale spying machine" – info leaking site co-founder

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
It's quite easy to do, unless you have someone using the internet purposely to mislead any potential "watchers", the law of averages will make it very easy to make a map of your interests by examining your browsing history

Even with the folks who are trying to mislead, you can weed those results out fairly fast since they lead to false positives. Once that's done you have a handful of useful data. At that point you investigate those leads to see where it takes you. Let's not forget in a world of "Internet Protocol (IP)" it's not just your browser history. Anything that goes over that wire can be captured and replayed.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I dunno,

This seems like an envious backhand to demean Wikileaks. Why should Cryptome.org call their own site more or less rubbish, in that their material is being fed to them, and that in their opinion, Wikileaks is also being fed. It makes no sense at all. If the info is being fed, is this for entrapment purposes against those who read the material? Of course sites are monitored, and statistics are gathered and other methods as per the CIA Wikipedia insertions and deletions. Monitoring is behind the game not ahead of it. Often banners in a forum like this are keyed in to a forum's subjects, (not to say that it is so at ATS) it is annoying, but fairly benign.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've got a friend working in Federal Civil Service for DOD that said his Union Steward refused to work and do what he was hired to do..... and he'd sit at the computer for 8 hours a day just clicking on Cryptome's website and laughing at the crap he read.

He downloaded something which resulted in the COM people taking the computer away. He was never punished.

They gave him an award.

Don't you wish you had a Federal Job doing nothing but clicking around on the internet all day? When you end up crashing the DOD computer you get an award?

You all suspect our Government as being competent. That's a naive thought.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

ats webmaster could prevent that ad placement targeting in their adsense cp

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
If wikileaks becomes a scam, i'm gonna just give up on any information future past present, that i don't actually experience. But i do know that 90% of internet/anything is a scam, especially if it involves money.

I posted in another thread. This is possibly the exact objective and mission of a wiki leaks. I know if I were to want to destroy a movement or an idea, this is what I would do... Make it go viral, get everyone in on it like it's some kind of fad then rip it down debunk claim the leaks were manipulated and edited thereby taking all the motivation and "sizzle" out of that idea. The people would be left with a bitter taste in their mouths saying... "Geee, i'm not falling for those conspiracy theory nutts garbage ever again."

Mission accomplished. You will be alone in the world and not trusting of anyone other than those who pay you bi-weekly.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As several folks have already pointed out, this guy is mostly spouting garbage and there is more than a bit of "wiki envy" going on here. Non-technical people should listen to technical people about this type of thing. I know this is a conspiracy site and consequently, many users tend to assume mighty powers know all but, you have to understand how all this "internet" stuff works before you can make great assumptions about it. As several have already said, the real protection any of us have on the internet, as for as anonymity goes, is the enormous amount of data that the internet produces. You can further protect your data by many means already mentioned.

As for the government using leaks as funding scheme for cyber security (Young's idea) there may be a small amount of this but, any Sys Admin working for the government would want to keep two networks - one for internal use and one for Internet access. This is how it works. The biggest security hole in any network is the people who use it - ala Manning.

There is no magic pixy dust that allows Government entities the ability to monitor individuals after they access any given site. If you think that is the case, you are simply ignorant of how things work and this site is about denying that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by star in a jar

Yep,.
but I have no worries,.
I am not running for mayor
not looking to be a police man
and dont have a criminal record,.
honestly, if it got real hairy,. I'd be off grid in no time.
I have no issues leaving this net behind

Your arrogance is irrelevant. This is an issue of Freedom. Spying on people is ethically wrong. It doesn't matter if the information gained is invaluable or superficial.

Not caring doesn't make you a better or less superificial person, it makes you an indirect supporter of the fascists.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
God damn. Anyone with any technical skills knows how to protect themselves on the Internet. Download tor. Run a constant download in the background through tor. Then browse the web anonymously! Ta da!

Now let's talk about John Young, the topic of this thread.

John Young is an admitted liar. He appeared on the Alex Jones Show, December 9 2010.

at the 1:26:05 moment, this happens [rough transcript]....

John Young: Hackers lie. Hackers are social engineers. Everyone lies. I lie. Did you hear me correctly? I'm lying right now.

Alex Jones: So when you say you lie, are you saying you put out little bits of disinfo about where you live or your name? You don't lie about overall truths..?

Young: No. I lie to ignorance, but I don't know any better. I will pretend that I have access to truth by the tail, and am delivering it to you. The reason I'm lying is because I don't know how to convince you of what I'm doing in an honest way.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
By logging on to the internet, you are completely putting yourself and your identity out there whether you're aware of it or not.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm suprised by the number of posts here.

I feel its been obvious from day one the internet could be used to spy on you. Hell i can spy on people on the webs. In the modem days, i could connect to a carrier tone easily, and remotely screw with my friends.

Thinking the govt can't do this is just stupidity, it should be well known, and all internet uses should understand they are letting their information be available at their own risks.

Its not like the internet is the only spy tools. Every land line, cell phone, email, postal service, anything that leaves your hands can fall into anyone else. Its the risk we take, but we all are obviously taking it, seeing as we are here on ATS.

so i end my post with...

Old post is old.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Another Young tantrum. He loves adding 'I was first' into everything he rants about. It's so obvious the guy is seriously butthurt. It's like he's saying, if you don't pay attention to me, then no one should pay attention at all. Take the ball and go home mentality.
edit on 30-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you want privacy online, I would suggest all open source software on your computer. Simple as that -- corporations can only get away with their trojans if their code is kept closed source; otherwise developers will figure these problems out fast and fix them.

This is why windows is inherently BAD for you. If it isn't an open sourced operating system, you are getting infected with all sorts of trojans and exploits.

I had no problems making the switch, it was EASY. if I want windows I use virtual box, it keeps it isolated. If I want mac, I run it from virtual box. If I want to play a windows specific game I switch over to my windows partition using dual boot method. Most of the time I use linux. I connect to random wifi networks that are unsecured using macchanger obscure my mac address. The main problem is my browser. I've thrown on ghostery though I am sure it misses a few odd things.

What needs to be done is through software layer on p2p there needs to be a new internet super-imposed over the already existing one. If this can be done topology independent then they can switch to internet 2 (ipv4-->ipv6) and it still wouldn't matter the p2p software adapted to be ipv6 compatible. The reason why I keep arguing that p2p is perfect, is because you can bundle proxying and tunnelling services with the peer software and so each peer could ask another peer to go get something, and so on and so fourth. Each connection gets automatic ssh encryption. Best of luck to the system when it comes to data mining that.

The problem with current p2p is that tracker and web services are still real-world servers residing in rooms and being hosted. These two services can be virtualized onto the p2p network to ensure that this vulnerability is remedied.

The wikileaks model is inherently flawed, because of it's centralized nature it can never guarantee anonyminity. Only a purely decentralized model such as what I've described above can truely and fully obfuscate source and receiver. That is what is important here. Wikileaks is a distraction, a pre-packaged centralized model that the system can easily tap into and monitor. Simple as that. The dog and pony show enough to keep us distracted from what surmounts to an obvious ploy to keep us from building the real deal that keeps the government out of the internet. How dare we as a people tell the government that there is anywhere that is not it's domain.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowsmith

I'
cant believe that this sounds so shocking to most of you isnt it obvious

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Really, if it's such a problem to you stop using it. Or don't put any personal information on the internet. Or stop complaining and throwing out vague anagrams.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

In regards to the WikiLeaks is a scam, i am not saying it is true or false just wanted to tell you my input.

I do not care if you believe me or not but my mother knows a lady who's daughter is one of the lawyers for Julian Assange and my mother is not one to tell me somthing if she thinks its not true. nor would she even mention it to me, and she actually brought it up in a conversation about lawyers nothing to do with WikiLeaks nor had we talked about WikiLeaks before.

The lawyer is Australian and i will try to get a name for you guys.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It's funny ATS should have a thread about this same subject I am relating to right now. It is likely that they are spying on us I myself do not doubt that one bit. I actually got banned from another "conspiracy forum" 2 days ago because I spoke the truth which makes me feel uneasy. The forum I speak of is GLP, and I am not going back to that place ever. I found out about GLP when one of my YouTube videos was posted on that website, 3 months later I find out Cointelpro has agents working in such forums, and GLP is a big suspect of being infiltrated by them. I also found out even writing "abovetopsecret" will get you banned from GLP, as well as other words like "spyware" "adware" and the website owners name "Jason Lucas". Hmmm kinda weird isnt it? while tring to relay this message on GLP they banned me and removed the reply as it was exactly what they are trying to hide.

I urge you all to watch this video: www.youtube.com...
this here explains everything about GLP, its owner and the connection it has with the Tavistock Institute.
the thread at GLP: www.godlikeproductions.com...

Let me know what you guys think.

edit on 30-12-2010 by MrCoolWhip because: mispelling

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So, what exactly are they after? I just can't see them expending the resources to monitor every social site, reading about who's afraid of heights, who's nephew had spaghetti for dinner, etc. If somebody is plotting some kind of attack or other nefarious behavior, I doubt they would post it on the twitter, and if they did well that's Darwinism in action I guess.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
On the other hand:

A while ago I deleted some emails. Later they turned out to be important. So I got in touch with the Yahoo people and asked if they "could dig them up from, where ever" (you know, their secret spy files) and place those emails back into my account.

They said, no way. They said, after a few days all deleted emails are gone, gone, gone forever.

So, if "someone" is spying on all of us - and retaining every transition and every scrap of information we have ever typed - well, I wouldn't mind finding out who they are...I'd like those emails back.

Ho ho ho.

Happy New Year, everyone!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
they don't have to expand, lol. They've already got most of you statistically through google, facebook and youtube. LOL. This is the problem -- they've set this trio up as their data mining sites and everybody knows it. All 3 are cia assets.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I just always operated under that conclusion with telephones, 2 way cable systems, and public cameras...the internet is a communications device, and all communications can be intercepted. Logic 101. Excellent thread by the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join