It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Internet a very large-scale spying machine" – info leaking site co-founder

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The NSA-NKVD knows all. You are all weak,Kapitalist dogs! Report yourself immediately to your nearest Fusion-reeducation center. ( Bring a pick & shovel) Dress warm.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
wikileaks is useless leaks, some mfn distraction. Its a soft pitch

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I thought it was fairly obvious that the web is used for track and trace. I think some of the Google revelations were telling (isn't every search stored and recorded to your ip?), similar revelations made by the founder of facebook.

Echelon has been around forever and now theres Carnivore. I've read of other track and trace systems but the names slip me at the moment.
edit on 30-12-2010 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
You know that whole Julian Assange bookdeal?

He said he was going to use the money on ONLY HIS LAWYERS!!

Forget about Manning WHO IS IN PRISON for giving Assange the information
that has now made HIM MILLIONS

WHERE IS ASSANGE NOW?

Surely not out to HELP BRADLY MANNING!

NO Julian Assange is going to use all that money on himself

You know what wikileaks tells manning?

SCREW YOU BRADLY MANNING we got what we wanted out of you!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Can you try to use your indoor voice when you post here, please?
Being new, you may not have been made aware...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Pretty good advice. However, not to be a smart butt; deleting your cookies is not enough! You need to do DOD sweeps (7 pass or more!) on your deleted files. You can do this with trusted FREE open sourced privacy programs. (Only bad thing with open sourced is: "What's stopping the government from being one of the open sourced coders?")

There is also a section reserved on your computer to store Ghost Files. A section which stores EVERY click, press, stroke, ETC; of your computer habits! This area needs to be cleaned too! Do a quick little Bing Search to find out how to perform this task. It is pretty simple, I promise!

Another thing is this: THE GOVERNMENT is NOT on YOUR TEAM!
You are all considered cattle. Plain and simple! The only true way to secure yourself is to hook a TI-83 or Apple IIe to the internet, HARD, but not impossible. I have Youtube videos explaining the process.

Be safe. Don't do anything you find yourself having to question and you will be golden. Oh, or get a pre-paid 3G or 4G card and use fake info! Duhh! LOL!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
this is just too funny ..

how can You expect to break SSL encrypted conection?
after exchange of information is done all that is left is a log on both clients and a log on routing servers (just that the conection took place)
How is that spying? They know all? wth are you talking about (or should i say wth is cryptome talking about)?

cryptome used rented servers thats why they were compromised ... WL uses thier own machines

You can argue that we are transparent because we use M$ soft (windows) and they datamine whatever You are doing unless you block "alexa" (there might be other hidden ways to spy on us on windows but we have no source code to chec that)

so as for cryptome - they dont know what they are talking about (probably just wana bite some of that wikileaks cake - like You see in thier statement that "they were first")

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The sad reality is, there is no more privacy in the public arena anywhere anymore. Even if you're walking down the street, minding your own business, you can be asked to identify yourself and if you can't, you might be arrested.

So being on this cyber spy-machine is an absolute given that you're being monitored, tagged, noted and remembered.

Gone are the days of innocence, privacy, individualism and hope.
George Orwell is starting to creep me out. How was he able to envision all of this so well?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There are many simple to use tools available if one wants to cover their digital tracks.

Best, easiest for browsing is TOR.

There are also a ton of good encryption programs out there for files, email, P2P communications, etc if one wants to take it even further.

Most people have no need to do so, so they don't bother. The tools are out there though for those that do care.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

This is a stunning revelation, 90% of us on ATS know that the internet does not give any of us an ounce of privacy and many of us are presumably already being monitored right now as you are reading this. But for a leading professional ‘leaker’ to announce that ‘they’ are monitoring whoever visits those sites on the internet and actually keeps them sites up and provides them material just so they can lure more viewers, is stunning.

Being able to monitor, and ACTUALLY monitoring, are two different things.

The problem (from an intel standpoint), is that it is simply TOO MUCH DATA to disseminate in any useful fashion. This is why there are software programs (formerly ones like Carnivore or Echelon, etc....who knows what they use now) to look for key words, phrases, areas, origins, etc. to break it down for HUMAN analysts to then sift through.

Thus, the chances of your e-mail, Facebook post, etc. actually being READ by some analyst, is almost non-existent (unless you use a lot of those key words). There aren't a whole lot of these folks, and for any given nation's intel services, they have to monitor the ENTIRE WORLD'S communications (and in all media, so TV, Radio, Newspapers, you name it). The division in the CIA (unless it's changed) is the FBIS (Foreign Broadcast Information Service). Though, with the addition of Homeland Security, there's likely a division specializing in cyber monitoring and warfare. Still though, it's too much data to sift through, even with the software to assist, to worry about somebody reading your e-mails to friends.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yes as above it is fairly obvious the net can be used and is used as a huge spy watcher.

You can gleam massive info about a persons habits .... likes and dislikes, perversions and fears.PERFECT !.

(c'mon you go to a site called 'bigboobs dot com'' you are going 4 one reason nthing to work out...lol)

All your data probably goes through IBM's massive servers at some point....and thats it they have it.

edit on 30-12-2010 by thirty3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Its just what they want to associate this with . The internet is the best information and mass communication technology we have so far, that is non pervasive, such as microchips or embedded things would be, and its equalized more businesses and provided more income around the world than traditional ventures.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i have always believed that we were being watched here, probably at this exact moment one of the most trusted and respected members posting is copying the information we put on a log of what we are doing, or even trying to get people to believe that this is impossible and trying to convince them otherwise. we are going to have people spy on us, maybe not me in particular but others for sure.
edit on 30-12-2010 by locololo because: thought of some info left out

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think the strenght of Wikileaks is not the number of visitors but the number of headlines they got! precisly reaching non-visitors.

It may be all an operation or a sub-operation or who knows. I frankly dont care and watch it like any other worlwide televised sport.

if I were in charge of an Agency I would for sure check what was going on in the net.

edit on 30-12-2010 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
One thing that people forget. It's not just the government that can do the spying.. It's companies and places people go to work every day. When you accepted a job or placement into a school, more than likely you signed some paperwork stating they could monitor your activity. This includes company email, communication (VoIP / Instant Message), and any traffic over their network. Unencrypted communication can be viewed by anyone with a packet sniffer. Simply place the sniffer anywhere between the two end points and you can gather a world of information. Watch that line long enough and you can collect plenty of user names and passwords. After all, people tend to use the same user name and passwords across many sites. This includes Encrypted and Unencrypted web sites.

Just take this for example:

Companies can place packet sniffers on their network and then setup alerts for 'questionable' web sites. They can then target those individuals that browse those web sites. Once they've been targeted they can then monitor them and take action should that individual 'leak' anything that may harm the company.

Internet as a spying machine? Sure! Government using it to spy? Why not! However I'd be a bit more concerned as to what your school or employer is watching before I'd be concerned about Uncle Sam! Just remember if it doesn't have a "S" then anyone between A and B can view it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You guys are way too paranoid. As a previous poster elaborated on - there is WAY to much data to parse for Intel agencies to effectively infiltrate your privacy. You have to be specifically targeted. Even then, if you use the below technologies, it would be very difficult for Intel agencies to obtain your online habits. And if you wish to stay anonymous on the internet, there are a multitude of ways to achieve this.

One such way is the The Onion Router project (or TOR) TOR Project
which combines serveral of the below technologies to provide privacy on the web.

Proxy services offer a wide variety of ways to surf and stay protected while providing a blanket of security.

Sites like Hushmail provide industry level encryption to protect your communications Hushmail Encryption Details. You can also use Public Key ring systems such as PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) or free implementations such as GNU-PGP (Pronounced new-pgp).

SSL/TLS Technology (Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security) provide SHA-1 level encryption on secure connections (developed by the NSA) which you use everyday and might not even know it. Everytime you use a website that has HTTPS:// in it, you are using this SSL/TLS Technology to protect your connection (Online Banking, etc).

If computer security is your thing - For windows users NTFS (the filesystem that comes with windows) provides many ways to encrypt your hard drive on the fly to prevent unauthorized exposure. If thats not strong enough for you, there are other implementations such as TrueCrypt (which works on Windows, MAC and Linux) and is FREE.

If you have the need to encrypt certain files, even the widely known Winzip offers AES Standard encryption to keep your files safe.

Really, the list goes on and on. If you want to be anonymous and private on the internet, you can be. It's up to you. Personally, my opinon is that these agencies do not have the time, nor the resources to spy on us individually (or as a collective) as the author of the orginal article is conveying.

Additionally, look at what CISCO systems (makers of backbone internet technologies) predicts for monthly internet traffic coming up in 2014 - Cisco Systems Report on expected web traffic 2014 - 767 exabytes !! Monitoring this kind of data and sniffing it for useful information will only get more and more difficult as the years progress.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Dear TPTB,
Just because I look at what I look at online do not automatically categorize me as this or that.
And keep your nose outa my stuff. I'll drop a lawsuit on you faster than you can blink.

-JS

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by js331975
Dear TPTB,
Just because I look at what I look at online do not automatically categorize me as this or that.
And keep your nose outa my stuff. I'll drop a lawsuit on you faster than you can blink.

-JS

actually it does, and most likely quite accurately.

I totally agree that you can completely profile someone by studying his/her online behaviour.

Doesnt mean i'm going to do it though.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
If thats not strong enough for you, there are other implementations such as TrueCrypt (which works on Windows, MAC and Linux) and is FREE.

This comes HIGHLY suggested. Especially if you're someone that travels between countries and carries USB sticks. You can setup a TrueCrypt volume that requires two methods of authentication. One being a standard password. The other some sort of key file. If someone wants access to the TC volume they have to be in possession of both.

I tend to store scans of sensitive personal information (medical records, finances) on a TC volume. I store the key file to the TC volume on a USB Stick in a separate safe location.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

hahahahahaha, only in the movies ... thanks for the chuckle though. One who doesn't fit a profile is a bit difficult to profile. Ted Kaczynski ring a bell?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by Romekje

hahahahahaha, only in the movies ... thanks for the chuckle though. One who doesn't fit a profile is a bit difficult to profile. Ted Kaczynski ring a bell?

It's quite easy to do, unless you have someone using the internet purposely to mislead any potential "watchers", the law of averages will make it very easy to make a map of your interests by examining your browsing history.

You WILL visit the sites that interest you, and the more you visdit them, the higher you score on that "list"

Have enough lists, and you can start profiling, yet again using averages.

How do you think criminal profiling works?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join