It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth project aims to 'simulate everything'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Found this article rather interesting:

It is basically the mother of all simulations. They plan on feeding it real life data. They say they are going to use it for weather forecasting, financial forecasts, etc... A Living Earth Simulator.

An international group of scientists are aiming to create a simulator that can replicate everything happening on Earth - from global weather patterns and the spread of diseases to international financial transactions or congestion on Milton Keynes' roads.

Story Here

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
matrix ftw

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yeah, once they have the virtual people running around... What happens when they ask 'where did we come from'....

Not sure how involved or advanced the AI will be for the computer sim, but I imagine by the time they get to LES version 6.5, it will be pretty impressive.

I curious if the simulation will predict WW 3 or something even more bizzare. Economic collapse, or global warming, ice age.... I'm so confused by all the scientists and conspiracy experts... but then again, it is just a batch of variables that can be altered to 'predict' whatever they want if they choose to skew the results...

Still, I like the idea.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
can you get it on xbox, i will be pissed if it only comes out on ps3

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
People do the most stupid of things at times, good luck in trying to model that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Reply to post by lewman

I second that. Except vise versa. Let's just say it better be a universal consol game, plus PC. But more on topic, it might be a mosh of the sims, second life, tom clancy's end war, and monopoly? Not sure if I missed anything there, but is it supposed to be playable? Or just a complete simulation? It sounds to me like an uber large scale version of when Madden simulated the superbowl between the Cardinals and Steelers. AI has really come a looooong way.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If they are simulating everything, does this mean they are going to simulate the simulator, too?

So they provide "real" input into the simulator, but then the simulator creates output which effects the real world (stock markets, etc), which then changes the inputs, which then changes the outputs, etc.

My feeble brain hurts.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by philosearcher
Reply to post by lewman

is it supposed to be playable? Or just a complete simulation?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Think of it as a console game for TPTB.

Variables can, and will, be adjusted to predict and adapt to social, global, financial simulated outcomes.

Is this realistic proposal? Damn straight it is. All too easy with the information put on the internet, coupled with the data the government collects from other sources. Have you seen IBM's predicitions for the next 5 years? Kinda scary, but you can be sure that the data IBM forecasts will be collected within the next 5 years will be used in this simulation. Think RFID tags, GPS, cell phones, automobiles, laptops, etc, etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
If they are simulating everything, does this mean they are going to simulate the simulator, too?

My feeble brain hurts.

I agree, if they are going to simulate everything, then they better include simulators as influences to the final outcome of the simulation.... Yeah, that does make the brain hurt...

And include Nuclear Plants, Nuclear Bombs, Korea, Iran, etc, etc....

Seems like a insurmountable task... but then again, we humans are pretty persistent...

Like I said earlier, Version 6.5 should kick butt.

top topics

join