It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Shelby's Pork Lust Forces NASA To Spend $500 Million On Canceled Rocket Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Im really not sure where to place this. As it is a senators insanity, at least in my humble opinion, Im dropping it here.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this madness?

Thanks to Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), taxpayers are footing a $500 million bill for a NASA rocket that the agency has no plans or desire to continue developing. The Orlando Sentinel reports that pork legislation inserted into a spending bill by Shelby earlier this year is requiring NASA to spend millions on the canceled Ares I rocket program through March, even while the agency can’t find funds to begin a much-needed modernization of the famed Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida:

Then it goes on to say:

At the root of the problem is a 70-word sentence inserted into the 2010 budget — by lawmakers seeking to protect Ares I jobs in their home states — that bars NASA from shutting down the program until Congress passed a new budget a year later. [...]
But Congress never passed a 2011 budget and instead voted this month to extend the 2010 budget until March — so NASA still must abide by the 2010 language.[...]

Read the Rest HERE

There has to be some sort of hidden agenda here, but dang if I can figure it out. Anyone have a clue or thought?

I hate the idea of all these things Im helping to "Foot the Bill" for when I know there are so many more just slipping by unnoticed.If it was something that might actually be useful, I wouldn't mind so much, but ....grrr

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I get so ready to leave after a day or two after a two week notice that I'm leaving to another job...

But can you imagine these guys who are all working on a rocket that they all know will just be thrown away when they are done, do they even get out of bed?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

I know what you mean. It does make you wonder though will it really be scraped or turned into something else we will have no clue about. I just can't imagine it being a blatant waste. On paper maybe, but the actual rocket??? hmmm what else could it be used for?

join