It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can i make a "test post"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
hi, id like to make a test post to learn how to post using miltiple quotes with responses. i have some ideas in another thread but i dont wann look like a doofus and quote wrong. is this ok?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by colonelblake
hi, id like to make a test post to learn how to post using miltiple quotes with responses. i have some ideas in another thread but i dont wann look like a doofus and quote wrong. is this ok?

Well...you can use the "Preview Post" function to test each post to make sure you r BBcode is correct.

Or you can just do it in this thread. Ask forgiveness, not permission. That is the way i usually go. Like i tell my kids and employees on minor issues: i don't see nothing you ain't pointing out (yeah, i like the triple negative...brings out the redneck in me).

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Or you can just do it in this thread.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well...you can use the "Preview Post" function to test each post to make sure you r BBcode is correct.

Or you can just do it in this thread. Ask forgiveness, not permission. That is the way i usually go. Like i tell my kids and employees on minor issues: i don't see nothing you ain't pointing out (yeah, i like the triple negative...brings out the redneck in me).

ok thank you

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

okl

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by colonelblake

To do this, I just hit the quote button in your post and replied to it. Then I do a series of keystrokes and move onto the next post I want to quote. The keystrokes are:

CNTR A (Selects all text)
CNTR C (Copies the text into a buffer)

Then I go to the next post and hit the quote button there. When the reply window opens, I put my cursor in the upper left corner and hit CNTR V to place the buffered text in the new window. Then I to reply to the second post.
Does that make sense?

This is another great idea.

Just make sure to use the correct bb code around your quotes and you'll catch on.
[ quote ] quoted text here [ /quote ] Without the spaces.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

i dont wann look like a doofus and quote wrong. is this ok?

ya

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Then I go to the next post and hit the quote button there.

this is what i dont understand. how do i got to the next post, quote, respond, next post quote respond.

ive seen others do it from multiple threads.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

this is what i dont understand. how do i got to the next post, quote, respond, next post quote respond.

If you do the CNTR A and CNTR C you'll have all the text you've written in your computer buffer. You then just use the mouse and navigate your way to the next post or another thread. To go back to the thread, just hit your back button in the upper left.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

yup, this is how you do it.

I run multiple tabs. i will right click on "quote" and then select "open in new tab". Then i can copy the text in that quoted box out of that tab. i can do this with as many tabs as i want.

this forum has no "multi quote" function, like you would see on other bbs. And it makes you jump through hoops to share media (they are afraid of the long arm of the tyrannical law around here, apparently). But there are always trade offs. And the access you gain to the minds that come through ATS have made all the hoops worth jumping through for me.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It looks as though the OP got answers to his main problem.
On the general subject of making "test" posts; I always use my original introduction thread for that purpose. I don't think anyone takes any notice of it, and it certainly doesn't bother anyone.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Then I go to the next post and hit the quote button there.

ive seen others do it from multiple threads.
Another way is to use the quote tags manually for each part of the quote you want to address. For example

[ quote ] Point A [ /quote ]
Response A

[ quote ] Point B [ /quote ]
Response B

[ quote ] Point C [ /quote ]
Response C Etc..... Just remove the spaces I put in the quote tags.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by colonelblake

If you want to find out how someone has done something with their bb code whether it be quotes, pics, videos whatever then just press the quote button on their post and it will open up their bb code in your window and you can see how they did it, just remember because you've pressed quote there is going to be additional [quote ] boxes at the start and very end.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If you do the CNTR A and CNTR C you'll have all the text you've written in your computer buffer. You then just use the mouse and navigate your way to the next post or another thread. To go back to the thread, just hit your back button in the upper left.

i think I am getting the hang of it..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Also remember that, any time you post a reply and it comes out looking screwy, you can always hit the "edit" button and try to go back and fix your post up to about 2 hours after you posted it.

Sometimes the "preview post" will show that your BB codes worked and then, when you post, it still doesn't work. Also, smileys don't show up right in the preview either.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Should we poll on rating the efforts you make on this thread as to the degree of doofusicity, then run a similar doofusness survey on the thread you intend to be the real McCoy, to make sure you have met your objectives?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

yup, this is how you do it.

I run multiple tabs. i will right click on "quote" and then select "open in new tab". Then i can copy the text in that quoted box out of that tab. i can do this with as many tabs as i want.

this forum has no "multi quote" function, like you would see on other bbs. And it makes you jump through hoops to share media (they are afraid of the long arm of the tyrannical law around here, apparently). But there are always trade offs. And the access you gain to the minds that come through ATS have made all the hoops worth jumping through for me.

I do it that way as well, although I try not to because then only the original person that you are quoting will get a 'reply message' in their inbox. If I am quoting multiple posters and I am not concerned with their response or that they get a message then I will do it this way. I use my 'replied messages' quite a bit and I am sure that others do as well.
edit on 29-12-2010 by youdidntseeme because: spelling as usual

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
you are welcome here.i think testing may not be much too cautious here.

new topics

top topics

join