It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000-Core Processor Eats Quad-Core CPUs For Lunch

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The sad part is none of this really matters if your software can't keep up. How long have dual core processors been around now? Multithreaded software applications are few and far between.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
As soon as it becomes compatible with Linux, the geeks will rule the world (even more than they already are).

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I still like this mother.
www.evga.com...
Dual CPUs, 48 GB memory and 7 PCIe X16 slots.

HOLY CRAP

THANKS

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phractal Phil
My Gateway computer, with AMD Phenom II X6 (6-core) processor, was dead on arrival. One flash of blue light from a spark inside the computer the first time I pushed the power button, and that's all she wrote. No output, no sound, no spinning fans, no nuttin'. I bought it online from Sears. Every time I called or e-mailed them, I have said I want to return it for a refund, but they always act like its the first time I said that. They've been jerking me around for three weeks, promising to send UPS to retrieve it in 3 to 5 days, and then contradicting themselves by telling me to return it to the store. The store refuses to accept returns bought online. They also sold me a 3-year in-home warranty without telling me that in-home service is not available in my area. Four of the first five Sears reps I talked to said their computer was down. I had to call after midnight Pacific time to find one who could access her computer. Now, I am waiting for e-mail from the next department up the ladder.

If 1000 cores are fast, what about zero cores?

This call may be monitored for training reasons.
Press 1 for english. Press 3 for technical support...

(after at least 30 minutes on hold... To ensure you are in a mood they are trained to handle.)
(I forget the formula at the moment...)

Help Desk, how may I help you.

My brand new computer blew up when I tried to turn it on. I can smell the smoke & ozone and now my computer won't even power up.

Is this system connected to a router?

Technically? Yes...

First I have to ask you to disconnect any external devices such as a router or hub. Could you please verify when you have done this.

This has nothing to do with my problem!!

Yes sir, you are correct, this has nothing to do with your problem. Please bear with me sir, we must follow our troubleshooting script. Now then sir, please disconnect your router. I'll wait...

Done...

Could you check if the little green led is lit up on your computer?

It's not!

Do you have the computer plugged in sir?

Yes!

Please don't confuse the monitor cable with the computer cable. Could you please double check to ensure it is actually your computer's power cable you are looking at...

The computer is plugged in..

Sir, are you using a high quality power strip or using your homes power outlet?

Home outlet...

Could you please plug the system into another power outlet so that we can rule out your electrical system in your home...

Hello Sir?
Hello... Sir?

Thank you very much sir.
Good day.

Or worse....

I will have to transfer you to level 2 support. Please hold....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
The sad part is none of this really matters if your software can't keep up. How long have dual core processors been around now? Multithreaded software applications are few and far between.

I kinda agree, same issue with 64 bit processors... at one time anyway.

Software will always have to 'keep up' to the hardware. It's just the way it works.

(No sense building the next greatest operating system if there is no architecture to run it on....)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
10 core or 100 or even 1000 core processors is meaningless if the Operating system and the application code is not designed a written to take advantage of it. Why do you think faster processors are not being built as rapidly and they have gone the multi-core route (without significant processor speed increase), because they run way to hot and use to much energy... new materials need to be used to make more speed leaps and bounds...

Give you an example, Call of Duty Black Ops is written to use (4 cores ...example) running at 2.33 ghz...if you run the same game but on a system with 1000 cores there will be no improvement whatsoever because the OS and software cannot utilize the additional cores.

But if you have a quad core running at 6ghz per core then COD Black Ops would run significantly better than a 1000 core system...

Just food for thought...

Either way it is cool...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Funny thing is.... all this technology was in working order long long ago. They leak technologies a little at a time providing they can make money off it or wont threaten National Security matters. Usually has nothing to do with the technology development end as it is the marketing end. Its all about the dollar and power over others...nothing else.

Zero Point energy, Antigravity, FTL travel is possible now and exists. It's as real as the keyboard you are typing on now...
They just cant get a price tag on it yet and there are many National Security issues involved.

Anyone that says differently....well. Since I am against shaming people, and calling them ignorant I will say they are misinformed
edit on 29-12-2010 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

The only national security they are worried about is securing thier profits, power, and control! The Idea that free energy would endanger our national security is absurd. it would free the individual from the energy cartels and make us less controllable. This is why they have suppressed it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is a bit misleading - What they created is not the equivalent of 1000 modern cores on a single chip. They took an FPGA and configured it into 1000 very simple cores. While it may be able to process certain types of data very fast, you could not just adapt this run Windows or Linux and get 20x your current performance, otherwise they would be very rich right now...

The chip they used (Xilinx Vertex 4) is not even close to computing power of modern CPU's - probably not even close to 5 year old CPU's.
Intel is currently producing chips at 22nm, and developing the next generation at 15nm - that Xilinx chip was made on a 90nm process... Nothing special here.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
Well no matter how quick it is...i bet you microsoft can still freeze the hell out of it.

2nd line dedicated to hating microsoft.

So you want a microsoft proof processor? I am not sure if you will ever find that on this planet. Even ET may not have one that powerful.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Games has always [and speedily] found ways to keep up with speedily advancing hardware technology!

And many software today does support more than 10 core utilization. I think some are even capable of utilizing all cores/threads available.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Amazing.. Can I have the schematics ,then I can start to try it out with 50 or so that would be a great start, the other 950 I then will build in later !

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Games has always [and speedily] found ways to keep up with speedily advancing hardware technology!

And many software today does support more than 10 core utilization. I think some are even capable of utilizing all cores/threads available.

Most tasks do not lend themselves to such parallelization, especially games. Not only that, but writing non-trivial software to take advantage of such parallelization is no small feat. Scientific applications, sure, but general purpose software, unlikely.
edit on 3-1-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

by the state of finances currently residing in the usa, would it be correct in thinking that aces will be pulled out of the hat because of fiscal problems. like another offered tech with patents might just put a dent in the debt?
f

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Nwo probably own all the real patents, that are very secret.

On topic, the nwo is more important in the mean time, so i think they want that first.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Companies already have the next 10 years of electronics completed, and are just milking the current market.If they make a processor that is twice as fast as one on the market, they will spend time dumbing it down to 20% faster than the current best seller, and string you along for years.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

not trying to detract from what the scottish have achieved but is there as case for an economy when in dire straits, introducing 'exotic' or a better way to put it 'the next best must have' to the general public? would be a way of inceasing revenues to deflated coffers.
the nwo thing. i have had long long long discussions with someone ten years my senior who has studied this for decades. i am no spring chicken either but he is coming around to certain suggestions i have put to him. my opinion is the nwo is chaotic,top heavy and in a corner with the chinese/russian/near/mid and far east friction as well as other countries in the news. i am not implying that they do not exist or are not influential whoever they are but i cannot help but think of them in terms of 'fubar fubar try again'. i seriously doubt any penultimate agenda they may wish to implement.it will be like a man giving birth to a basketball. self preservation of the so-called elite will always occur. when it knocks on me door then it's time to party.
f

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by big_BHOY

the next big leap in computer processors wont be crystalin, they will be quantum. they will have the ability to do an infinite amount of calculations in a fraction of a second.

its not that they want to make money of and market the new technologies, its the fact that when these technologies are first created they are very, VERY expensive. unless you want to buy a 7 million dollar computer, you have to wait until the tech becomes more readily available for consumer use.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by epitaph.one
reply to post by big_BHOY

the next big leap in computer processors wont be crystalin, they will be quantum. they will have the ability to do an infinite amount of calculations in a fraction of a second.

its not that they want to make money of and market the new technologies, its the fact that when these technologies are first created they are very, VERY expensive. unless you want to buy a 7 million dollar computer, you have to wait until the tech becomes more readily available for consumer use.

Quantum CPU chips... now that would be most interesting..

But it goes back to the whole thing on software architecture, not even linux would be able to keep up. Not necessarily a BAD thing, but still..

15 years ago, quad-core was a dream for us.. now we have 6 core-consumer market chips..

Whats the next 15 going to bring? 12- 20 ?

Current CPUs use silicon, which, unless I am mistaken, is a crystal of sorts. (too tired to go google it.)

Tho I do recall them trying to grow crystals to form a CPU, it was too expensive, and a little too random to mass-produce.

Time will tell, as it always does... and i am excited in this case.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Another small step towards faster computing.

Many years back I read science articles; they already discussed about storing data in molecules. Some kinda crystal object size of a dime could store data.

Thus, the term nano-computing.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
If the OS is capable of handling that speed and in combination with a PCI-SSD discdrive this would be an awesome speedy system.

<< 1    3 >>

join