It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000-Core Processor Eats Quad-Core CPUs For Lunch

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Scottish researchers have built a 1000-core processor (yes, three zeros) that runs 20 times faster than current chip and uses less power. Amazingly, this chip approaches the maximum mesh diameter before the chip-network connecting the cores negatively impacts performance.

Source Article

Completely amazing, to think, that as tech advances, pretty soon, we might have 100, or even 1000 core processors in our mobile, desktops and such.

Feels like so long ago I was using 5.25 and 3.5" floppies, and mice hadn't been invented yet.

What else can we accomplish, if given the oppertunity?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Wow, that's really cool. It's really the threads like this that keep me checking ATS everyday. Now I'm off to see if I can learn more about this 1,000 core processor but not without one very important question....

Can it run Crysis? ...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

I believe that the next big step in computer technology will be crystal processors.
The advantage will be noise reduction for the pc's won't need any fans, crystal processors will not heat up, they'll stay cool all the time.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Funny thing is.... all this technology was in working order long long ago. They leak technologies a little at a time providing they can make money off it or wont threaten National Security matters. Usually has nothing to do with the technology development end as it is the marketing end. Its all about the dollar and power over others...nothing else.

Zero Point energy, Antigravity, FTL travel is possible now and exists. It's as real as the keyboard you are typing on now...
They just cant get a price tag on it yet and there are many National Security issues involved.

Anyone that says differently....well. Since I am against shaming people, and calling them ignorant I will say they are misinformed
edit on 29-12-2010 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Well said... I can only imagine what the processor speeds are within the clandestine and black budget military complex.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What does "core" stand for? - Upon further reading,
, that's a lot of transistors and a lot of speed.
edit on 29-12-2010 by quantum_flux because:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Anyone that says differently....well. Since I am against shaming people, and calling them ignorant I will say they are misinformed

Oh a disclaimer. Well that sorts that then. No one can say anything different, because it is implied that they are ignorant.

Well I say differently.

What was that?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
And here I just bought an AMD Quad Core 620 x64....

=*(

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese
reply to post by Cygnis

I believe that the next big step in computer technology will be crystal processors.
The advantage will be noise reduction for the pc's won't need any fans, crystal processors will not heat up, they'll stay cool all the time.

What about organic material for computer processing? I heared about this some 20 years ago but never bumbed into it again....any future for that tec/

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

My friend - it's called a brain.

I would rather have a mechanical computer than an organic one - organics are a pain in the butt and just messy.

I can see it now - an organic computer that has to eat and poop... No!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Without Understanding, this is just intellectual masturbation.
I hope that we will have enough healthy food at some point.
That would be much more impressive.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The story didn't say anything about what type of operating system this chip would work with or if special hyperthreaded programs were needed to interact efficiently with the chip.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well no matter how quick it is...i bet you microsoft can still freeze the hell out of it.

2nd line dedicated to hating microsoft.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This kind of thing coupled with faster and faster RAM speeds means that the encryption standards like AES that we thought would be relatively safe from brute force attacks may no longer be sufficient for protecting information. Consumers won't see these kinds of devices for at least another 10 years, perhaps even more but with this kind of a jump in processor capability large scale efforts by governments to crack things are a very real possibility.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Funny thing is.... all this technology was in working order long long ago. They leak technologies a little at a time providing they can make money off it or wont threaten National Security matters. Usually has nothing to do with the technology development end as it is the marketing end. Its all about the dollar and power over others...nothing else.

Zero Point energy, Antigravity, FTL travel is possible now and exists. It's as real as the keyboard you are typing on now...
They just cant get a price tag on it yet and there are many National Security issues involved.

What a load of claptrap!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
This kind of thing coupled with faster and faster RAM speeds means that the encryption standards like AES that we thought would be relatively safe from brute force attacks may no longer be sufficient for protecting information. Consumers won't see these kinds of devices for at least another 10 years, perhaps even more but with this kind of a jump in processor capability large scale efforts by governments to crack things are a very real possibility.

Quad Core has been the top dog for the past 4/5 years. Only now is the upgrade to 6 core coming along.

In another decade, we'll be using around 10 cores (perhaps slightly more), but can't see 1000 cores in any home computer for the foreseeable future.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by big_BHOY

Well there are the CUDA cards by Nvidia which have a retarded core-count and basically give you cluster-level computational power in something that will take up only two PCI-e slots worth of space. But for most people multi-cores is just a fancy selling point, its going to be a while yet until developers really learn how to leverage multi-cored systems and take advantage of 64 bit architecture, right now a lot of crap still runs in 32 bit mode because people don't want to re-write things.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Why would you want a computer to think that fast anyways? It'll just destroy you that much faster when skynet is complete.

FOOLS!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I still like this mother.
www.evga.com...
Dual CPUs, 48 GB memory and 7 PCIe X16 slots.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My Gateway computer, with AMD Phenom II X6 (6-core) processor, was dead on arrival. One flash of blue light from a spark inside the computer the first time I pushed the power button, and that's all she wrote. No output, no sound, no spinning fans, no nuttin'. I bought it online from Sears. Every time I called or e-mailed them, I have said I want to return it for a refund, but they always act like its the first time I said that. They've been jerking me around for three weeks, promising to send UPS to retrieve it in 3 to 5 days, and then contradicting themselves by telling me to return it to the store. The store refuses to accept returns bought online. They also sold me a 3-year in-home warranty without telling me that in-home service is not available in my area. Four of the first five Sears reps I talked to said their computer was down. I had to call after midnight Pacific time to find one who could access her computer. Now, I am waiting for e-mail from the next department up the ladder.

If 1000 cores are fast, what about zero cores?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join