It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests what would covert you to follow a religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
share with those who are interested

what would make you convert to a faith

I reckon the answer is nothing

I dont need anything - I dont need a meaning of life, I dont need a purpose, I dont need an imaginary friend, I dont need patriarchal power structure, I dont need to search for a faith that might be meaningful to me

and zecharia sitchin makes a whole lot more sense to me than the old testament which reads like it was written by someone on hallucinogenic drugs

and Jesus? I cannot comprehend the theology that god had to punish himself by setting an innocent human up to kill him to forgive us sins that we were set up to make

I mean - why was that forbidden fruit anywhere near humans anyway - to set them up to fail - nice asshole this god isnt he? set humans up by having a forbidden tree within reach. And what about that flood? I cannot understand why the slaughter of men women and children and animals -what an heartless monster

yeah I know the ppl who believe in god will say this is because humans have free will but that makes absolutely no sense to me either - it does not convince me in anyway and is no excuse

sorry - i just cannot believe that monster can be a loving protective god

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Get repetitive naturalistic events to break the known laws of physics and to do something supernatural . Then have the skies open up with 50,000 soliders who fly down with blue prints of the universe . Give it to the scientists , let them peer review it for 5,000 years . Then when they finally agree that its legit . Let the curtains of space open up to reveal the "Source" .

Thats how i would imagine a athiest or anti-thiest believe

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

Religion has been used since the dawn of time to control the masses. In the end, we don't need religion to tell us what is right or wrong. I do not wish to kill. I do not wish to steal. All of my decisions I make are just from me not by some god that needs my money all the damn time. Whats the point of churches anyway? Not good enough to pray at home that you need to go somewhere else to worship? Im glad I gave this stuff up long ago and now I am a free man who has always done right without a gods words.

P.S I have done some bad things in the past, but I have learned from my mistakes. Sometimes learning lessons the hard way is the only real way to learn.
edit on 29-12-2010 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

what would make you convert to a faith

That's like asking someone what would make them convert to fascism.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I CHOOSE TO BE DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE AND BELIEVE IN MY OWN BELIEFS!!!!!! THERES NO NEED FOR RELIGION!!! ALL IT CAUSES IS ANGER, CONFUSION AND SADNESS!!!!!!!!!
WHY DO YOU CARE IF PEOPLE ARE ATHEIST ANYWAYS GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE AND STOP TRYING TO CONVERT PEOPLE TO THE IMAGE YOU WANT TO SEE!!!!!!!

i myself, don't consider myself as anything at ALL!!! i just go with the flow and live a happy life
with out the worry of what will happen when i die!!!! i live to live ok!!!! not to worship!!!!! EXPERIENCE is key to a happy life
so smoke all the weed you need ;D and ignore all those religious greedy bastards!!

you religious people make me sick to my stomach :3

and with that said

peace, love , unity, and respect is all anybody needs!!!!!!!

but in this case i had to disrespect because in some cases like this disrespect is needed or else people like you wont get the #ing picture
its like talking to a child you know?
bye love you all

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

edit on 29-12-2010 by HybridRainbow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

edit on 29-12-2010 by HybridRainbow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I believe that religions are there to separate people. The same principle with social groups and especialy when in school. I have regretfully noticed this many times, in many different schools, and other places as well. I know I am not the only one to have seen this happen, or to have wittnessed this first hand with groups of people, same goe's for other places too! No offense to anyone, if I have offeneded in anyway, my deepest appologies.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I would start believing in God if we were able to determine with near 100% certainty that extraterrestrial life does not exist in our universe

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
oops, I miss read the heading so disregard my quote please!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

A good fraction of US atheists follow the religion of US nationalism. For example, some will state if you were born in the geographic coordinates of the USA as defined by "the authorities", then you are more deserving of a job in that location than someone in Mexico or China. That is one example of nationalism. That of course is a faith-based belief because there is no logical basis (except for faith in authority figures to draw imaginary lines to separate different classes of people out) on which to claim birthplace coordinates should determine how much someone deserves any given job.

Furthermore, a large number people who claim to be atheists also have a faith-based belief: that God does not exist. In point of fact there is no *hard* evidence that either supports or rejects a universe created by God. If you wouldn't state the sentence "God does not exist" then you simply are not an atheist but rather an agnostic. Most people who claim to be atheists are actually agnostics. In all fairness they could claim they've developed a new definition of atheism that means God may or may not exist, but in practicality the people who would claim that are absolutely identical to agnostics and therefore it doesn't make sense to consider them atheists when the distinction has been made.

So in other words, many people who claim to be atheists are not really even atheists but are actually agnostic since they wouldn't make the statement "God does not exist". And those that are really atheists because they would make the statement "God does not exist" have a faith-based belief in most cases as they would fail to cite any evidence of non-existence.

I think there is strong circumstantial evidence of a God existing, and weak circumstantial evidence of God not existing.

Since I actually was more or less an atheist at one point I'll describe what caused me to "convert to Christianity" if you want to call it that, though many people would not really consider me a "true Christian". What made me convert was seeing evil. Atheists cannot believe in evil... but I experienced what I perceived as evil. I *do not* believe any longer that evil does only exists in the form of "good" and "bad" but rather its something more of a force in nature.

I came to the realization that emotional-based reasoning is in fact superior to logic-based reasoning in many respects. Ever notice how sheer geniuses become utter idiots when for example they attend a Christmas party? Its because they lack the emotional reasoning skills people need for maximum success in life. Logic is considered valuable because it produces results. But emotion also produces results. By mixing emotion and logic together, you can get an optimal outcome... a FACTUALLY CORRECT outcome in more cases.

Also what helped me along is my refusal to be wrong. If I'm ever wrong about anything I have to change my mind... I can't just continue life in ignorance. So when I realized that good and evil exist in some natural form (not just words or synonyms of "good" and "bad") I changed my entire outlook about religion. The first two weeks it was almost as if I were hit by a truck but I've since adjusted to a very different world view.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

athiests what would covert you to follow a religion,

Being hung drawn and quartered, roasted alive over a barbq, watching my children being raped or smashed against rocks and fed to dogs. Being burned at the stake , hey and one of my favorites -

If a victim 'converted' to Catholicism at the last minute ("fuego resuelto") in its loving kindness the Church would sanction strangulation before burning.

Bring back the good old days

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

My memory is a little hazy, but as I remember from reading the god delusion it's not as simple as having believers, non believers and uncertain's, the lines are more blurred. You have gnostic theism (which means you know for certain there is a god), agnostic theism (you believe that there is a god) and similarly agnostic atheism (you believe that there is no god) and gnostic atheism (you know for 100% certain that there is no god). If I remember correctly he talks about a scale from 1 to 7 where one is gnostic theism and seven is gnostic atheism

Being gnostic on either side of the argument is not a good, or logical, case to be, we cannot at the point in time prove for certain that god does or does not exist.
edit on 29/12/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Verifiable evidence. That's all it would take.

And seriously, straw man much? The entire post creates a fake atheist for you to simply set alight.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist. But I follow no religion. For me to convert to a specific religion, it would take for me to personally experience a communication with God. A communication that far transcends prayer, meditation, or a heart filled with the Holy Ghost. It would take a show of tremendous power, the likes that can only be accomplished by an All Powerful Creator... a sign that is far beyond the technological achievements of secret hidden facilities or any fictitious myth, legend, or futuristic fantasy.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Beautiful response

If the answer is "nothing," then you are guilty of the very thing you so vehemently speak against. The seething hypocrisy contained in such words boggles my mind to no end. Which isnt a bad thing, just means i have more perspectives to try to understand!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Proof

Which will never be found in religion cause it is a tool to keep people dumb and stirred

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if these threads are created to "flush out" the enemy.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Something based on facts, understanding and morality. Not corruption and greed. Where all the main religions have the common ground is a good start.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Within the context of this post, I'll have to self-identify as an athiest, although I do not make any declarations to that moniker. My situation is that I have no faith and consider it to be irrelevant. I "believe in" nothing, so by typical definition "not believing in god" would categorize any beliefs I might hold as athiestic. There are some things I believe (for example, neither JFK or RFK were assassinated by a lone gunman) - but these are not matters of faith - merely beliefs. So conversion to a religion or faith is totally out of the question.

ganjoa

top topics

<<   2 >>

join