It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Discovery of Intact Tomb: German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Archeologists in Germany have discovered a 2,600-year-old Celtic tomb containing ornate jewellery of gold and amber. They say the grave is unusually well preserved and should provide important insights into early Celtic culture.

The entire room weighing some 80 tons was lifted by two cranes onto a flatbed truck and taken to a research facility in Ludwigsburg on Tuesday. The results of the analysis will be presented in June 2011, researchers said.

Richly decorated jewellery made of gold and amber suggest that a woman was buried in the tomb, archeologists say. The subterranean chamber was uncovered at the prehistoric Heuneburg hill fort near the town of Herbertingen in south-western Germany

www.spiegel.de...

That's a good sized tomb. I can't begin to imagine how many un-discovered treasures are still out there. Makes me want to start digging in my backyard

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thanks for posting
I'll be having a look at that tonight! Makes me want to take my metal detector out too!! Unfortunately the only things i every found were foil pie cases and an old horse shoe

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The craftsmanship is beautiful...

These fancy boot inlays were discovered in a grave not far from the tomb in question.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7161b2ff3784.jpg[/atsimg]

One reason for the claim is likely the manner of excavation, which is new. In the past, such burial chambers have been dug up piece by piece locally, but now the team lifted the entire burial chamber, measuring four by five square metres (12 by 15 square feet) as one block of earth and placed it on a special truck to be transported to the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments in Stuttgart.
Image and text source

Although this technique is new in the scheme of things, it's been used in archaeology for the last few years if circumstances make it possible. In 2008/09, the excavation of one of LA's famous Tar Pits just shipped out huge blocks for closer examination at the George C. Page Museum.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Ah hello !!! Yes Homer bright and sparkly , MMMM sparkly .No body curious as to why a celtic burial chamber is in Herbertingen Germany ??? So who is she ? Why a burial chamber and treasure instead of a pile of rocks .Anyone ?
edit on 29-12-2010 by 13th Zodiac because: Text added

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

The Celts lived all through that area of Europe 2000 years ago, having migrated from the eastern steppe areas. One of the major Celtic sites and civilization horizons is named after a site called Hallstadt. It's not surprising at all to discover a Celtic burial in Germany from this period.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Ah hello !!! Yes Homer bright and sparkly , MMMM sparkly .No body curious as to why a celtic burial chamber is in Herbertingen Germany ??? So who is she ? Why a burial chamber and treasure instead of a pile of rocks .Anyone ?

The influence and trade of celtic culture was all over Europe at one time. Enormous stretch of people.

It was absorbed by the european cultures but remained very prominent in the UK, undisturbed by the many tribes of evolving europe.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes I know that , I am asking who is she to have a burial chamber like that .Not a serf by any means .

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

A carpenters wife perhaps?

Shes not burried with a thousand gold bars or anything. She was burried in a big oak box with a few family trinkets from what I can see, I wish they revealed all the contents instead of just hauling it away. Maybe she was an ET.

Perhaps a head-wife of the local chieftan?

More then likely just a man who loved his wife and they had some money. The world has always had successful entrepreneurs and this oak den is not very close to egyptian monument standards.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Wow, thats very beautiful. And the tomb has barely been touched, so without a doubt we'll be seeing more incredible artwork.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Why do I keep seeing pictures of "ancient" jewlery and craftsmanship that supercedes that of the work of today?

Where in Germany, exactly?

i could swear some of these finds look machined, especially the first picture, it looks like 'threading' like from a bolt, and some sort of electric device.
edit on 29-12-2010 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Yea some celt tribes lived in germany. From what i have heard some still do. There are still celts in spain.
edit on 29-12-2010 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
Why do I keep seeing pictures of "ancient" jewlery and craftsmanship that supercedes that of the work of today?

i could swear some of these finds look machined, especially the first picture, it looks like 'threading' like from a bolt, and some sort of electric device.

Could be imported....sythian.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover

The Celts lived all through that area of Europe 2000 years ago, having migrated from the eastern steppe areas. One of the major Celtic sites and civilization horizons is named after a site called Hallstadt. It's not surprising at all to discover a Celtic burial in Germany from this period.

I read a bit of Tacitus Germania once and he talked about several of the Germanic tribes speaking britanic and were very close in so many other ways to the tribes in britain. First time I heard Irish galic spoken I thought it was german for a moment. Someone told me once that the word German was from latin? germain to the romans that called it that becouse they considered the primary or main thus "germain" celts to have lived there. Look into Ireland at the peak of its glory, the forgotten history of Ireland....they ruled all of GB and lands beyond. Sort of like the vikings in their day...great ship builders and sailers.....so it would seem.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Oh wow!! I would love to be the one who dug this up!! I can't believe how much treasure is still out there unaccounted for....Makes you want to start digging!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
hmmm, very interesting discovery.

I agree with others here that the items found with the tomb (and items found in the local area to the site) are very detailed and could easily be seen as "out of place artifacts".

The fact that they loaded it onto a truck and took it away to study can be seen as sensible but could also be seen as strange. The fact that they plan to only reveal the contents to us sheeple mid 2011 is a bit odd and will only add to any conspiracy tagged to this discovery.

S&F for this and I will definitely be keeping my 3rd eye on this one!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Great stuff for the imagination, right? Just think how the "professional experts" have their minds rocked when discoveries are made that keeps tilting their applecarts allowing the apples to slowly roll out one by one..

I agree, those round items look exactly like they have angled threads and are not just circular bands on gold rods. In fact, the very tips are slightly beveled just exactly as are all modern bolts. --So are the threads SAE or metric; Recovered from a dismantled alien ship or the whim of an artisian? (Joke.) (Sorta.)

...So the whole site is cleverly removed and shipped away for private study. Isn't that what they do with crashed UFO debris?

Maybe that round, gold gizmo is not exactly jewelry at all but just a decorative cover case (i.e., cell phone) for one of those little alien orbs but its nano-nuke battery ran down and the lady appropriated it since it was gold? (BTW: Gold is about the best electricial conductor of earth's metals.)

Regardless, this is the spice of life folks. The mystery continues....
edit on 30-12-2010 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wow! and I thought Germans from that time were cretinous slobs that got their ass's kicked by Russell Crowe a la 'Gladiator', or maybe that is just Hollywood Germans.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus

A carpenters wife perhaps?

Are we refering to the Magdelin conspricy here? I thought she was burried in France.

Just askin'

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'm a Celt. And I'm Welsh and I still speak the ancient Celtic language Welsh on daily basis.

Does that mean it's mine then?
As I've always wanted an ancient tomb!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I have done metal working and I make jewelery, my father and grandfather were blacksmiths, AKA gods of the forge, once you know the technic this is not complicated, you just need to work on the craftsmanship, I am fascinated with ancient jewelry,

In the beginning god created the,,bead.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.ancienttouch.com...

www.randburg.com...

Look up the history of viking weave and chain mail, for example,
edit on 123131p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join