It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NASA Is Spending Half a Billion Dollars on a Canceled Rocket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Stifled by legislative bottlenecks, NASA will be forced to continue an already defunct rocket program until March, costing the agency half a billion dollars while adding more hurdles to the imminent task of replacing the space shuttle.

Constellation is the umbrella program that includes the Ares I, the rocket NASA has been building to replace the space shuttle as means of transport to and from the International Space Station, as well as other spacecraft that would have been capable of performing a variety of missions. President Obama cancelled Constellation last year, but thanks to congressional delays and inaction, the program simply won't die -- and it's costing big bucks.

A large portion of the estimated $500,000,000 NASA will spend on the canceled rocket in the next few months -- $165 million of it -- will be paid to Alliant Techsystems, or ATK, toward the development of a solid-rocket first stage for the Ares I the rocket. However, with the cancellation of the Constellation program as part of the President’s new NASA plan, signed into law in October, there are doubts that the technology will ever be used, reported the Orlando Sentinel.

It’s the frustrating result of an ongoing political battle that stretched throughout this year. With the potential cancellation of Constellation looming, lawmakers inserted clauses into NASA’s 2010 budget to protect Ares I jobs in their home states, effectively preventing NASA from shutting down the program pending a new budget from Congress. This was expected to happen prior to the beginning of the fiscal year on October 1, but Congress instead extended the current budget until March. This inaction leaves NASA obligated to keep Ares I alive -- despite the program’s cancellation.

Source: www.foxnews.com...#

Just more bad news about the once great NASA Space Program. A shadow of what it once was. How did this happen.

It saddens me to read week after week about Russia's and China's fast growing Space Programs. And now that we have to hitch rides with Russia.

And with that, I heard Russia recently decided to increase the usage fees related to the NASA ride-alongs. Ain't that a kick in the butt? Sometimes I have to wonder who the bigger crooks are when the international space groups are being talked about.

Well, time will tell. Another reason to vote him out in 2012 (Yes, OBAMA)

edit on Wed Dec 29 2010 by Jbird because: added ex tags to first paragraph

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

As much as I dislike Obama, I think that his commercial space initiative is quote good. That is the future of space travel not NASA.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Well, time will tell. Another reason to vote him out in 2012 (Yes, OBAMA)

In this particular situation, Obama is not the issue. It is the congressmen who loaded the budget with "protections" that are the issue.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by anon72

As much as I dislike Obama, I think that his commercial space initiative is quote good. That is the future of space travel not NASA.

Op S&F.

Nasa does provide an invaluable resource to potential commercial space launch providers, in that it proves concepts and technologies, with out which some commercial programs might never get in the development stage.

I am all for commercial spaceflight, but Nasa needs to be around doing that research in areas where the profit potential is questionable, where a commercial concern with stockholders might not otherwise invest r&d money in.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Nasa does provide an invaluable resource to potential commercial space launch providers, in that it proves concepts and technologies, with out which some commercial programs might never get in the development stage.

A very excellent point that I think is missed many of times in this arguement about Private and Gov't Space programs. I think they both serve a purpose. Thank you for pointing that out so nicely.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Why NASA Is Spending Half a Billion Dollars on a Canceled Rocket

Same reason they spend 50k on a hammer or toilet seat, not all is as it seams leading to very heated political debates while the truth walks out the back door.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I say that NASA should just be shut down until there is something done about the greater economy.

There aren't that many jobs tied into it to be lost in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Shooting bazillions of dollars out into space does very little to help the majority of people.

It really doesn't.......

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
I say that NASA should just be shut down until there is something done about the greater economy.

There aren't that many jobs tied into it to be lost in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Shooting bazillions of dollars out into space does very little to help the majority of people.

It really doesn't.......

Shutting it down will put another nail in the greater economy (expletive deleted).

When budgets were cut and Moffet-Ames was gutted, Silicon Valley died.

If you want to taste trickle-down economics, close a base and stick out your toungue

The future of humanity is in space. Fail to fly- at your own peril

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Order the NAVY Space Command to haul the astronauts to and from the space station, on their anti-gravity triangle ships. And cancel funding for all current and future 'rocket-based' manned space flight programs.

Force NASA to adopt TR-3B technology for it's future manned space flight programs.

edit on 12/30/2010 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
We are 13 trillion dollars or so in debt now. I think it is time to cut funding to agencies like NASA until we are out of debt. When we are flourishing, everyone has jobs etc, then recontinue such agencies. Who am I kidding though, like that is ever going to happen.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Like everybody having a job is possible... smfh.
The day the USA cuts its space program is the day it falls behind to other countries[already in the process of that]

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Parts of Ares I will fly in the future.

Parts of Ares 1 were first flown on the old Saturn rocket program.

NASA has always used off the shelf parts when they could.

The Thor Delta launch system for communications and other satellites used the first stage from the Thor ICBM. Thor was the first operational ballistic missile.

I am looking at NASA to use a Hypersonic aircraft in the future to fly into space instead of lobbing missiles.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
the future of our american economy dwarfs the future of our space travel...cutting funds to such things would merely kill our advancement as the human race...money is after all nothing more than a piece of paper we give a certain value to...might as well use that paper for something that will advance ourselves past the need for money

As for the fact that they had to waste money on such a project sucks...but maybe we should start voicing our disaprovement of such congress members who see it fit to waste tax payers money to fit their own agenda's and or opinions...it's not their opinions or agenda's that I personally care about...it's the future of human kind that I personally care about...and if it cost us twice the deficit of what we have right now just to get a positive outlook in space travel then i would gladly pay every penny in taxes that i could just to make it happen...let it happen and let human kind prosper whether it costs us every penny we have

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

Maybe not in the short-term but overall, I think it is vital to our existance as a race. I say it like this (and to those who read this from me before-I'm sorry but I have no other way to say it).

For me, it comes down to this:

We, as a race, have a responsibility to 1: Seek out new life in Space. 2: Expand (live) off this planet-if possible.

1: Seek out new life in Space.

We know one thing for sure now: We exist on Earth. If there is our intelligence/life out in Space somewhere, we have to accept that and reach out to them to hopefully be accepted by them and become an active part in something much much bigger than ourselves. To learn from them so we can advance our race to ensure it's survival/longevity. I still content, as of now, we are the only aliens in Space. [ Personally, I believe they exist but lacking sufficient proof or experiences, I have to accept reality as it is being played out.

2: Expand (live) off this planet-if possible

We know one thing for sure now: We exist on Earth. That being said, it is our duty as a race to expand off this planet. To explore new worlds for possible colonization/expansion. To documents our experiences and finding for prosperity. If anything to have a PLAN B is SHTF and Earth is doomed for whatever reason. We have to put aside our animalistic ways and stop killing each other and realize we are IT.

Look at all the information we have witness/documented/experience from Space. As of now, we are the only living intelligent being capable of coming and going from this planet. We must capitalize on that notion and move forward at an even faster pace to advance the Human Race-in every direction possible. Or find out if we are just a small cog in a bigger machine--begging not to be wipe out of existance.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
With India putting a man in space next year and China wanting to go to the moon, if NASA was canceled America would lose it's narrowing advantage in the new space race.
What I find amazing is America got to the moon on fifties tech, now fifty years later and all that money spent there's been little to no real advancement other than low earth orbit. I think Constellation should've been a priority for America. To maintain it's super power status and advantage in space, America really needs a lunar or asteriod manned base and it really needs it quick.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I would guess that they are spending the money to either (1) secretly funnel the money off to a secret project; or (2) keep our "rocket scientists" on the US payroll so they don't go seeking employment in other countries....possibly enemy countries.

I think #2 is the more likely choice.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

(2) keep our "rocket scientists" on the US payroll so they don't go seeking employment in other countries....possibly enemy countries.

What a great point. I hadn't thought of that aspect before. I always assumed the other countries scientist were striving to get to the USA and work for us.

Well, it would suck if true though.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I completely agree with you. I think space is one of the keys to uniting humanity. If we venture out in to space and find we are the only ones here, it could have a profound affect and show how precious we and our planet are. On the other hand if we find life flourishes we would want to unite to take advange of this new neighbourhood.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

In this particular situation, Obama is not the issue. It is the congressmen who loaded the budget with "protections" that are the issue.

Regardless, NASA has to honor the contracts based on the letter of the law. A BETTER solution would be to save the same jobs, but have them work on a program that will actually CONTRIBUTE to the future success of NASA. The devil is in the details though. They are stuck with their prior agreements.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I concur but they could amend those contracts. Well, at least from here forward.

You would think the two sides (govt & contractor) could come up with a better way to utilze the money. The Best Bang for the Buck theme.

OR, maybe they are just saying the program is ending, or maybe it is, and they are using the $$$ for a top secret thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join