It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone in Manchester UK? - Loud bang reported!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hi - my friend has just messaged me online, saying she's just heard a very loud sound, like a bang (she had music on very loudly) and it was loud enough to hear over that.

She lives literally a few minutes from Piccadily station.

Has anyone heard anything at all?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

It's extremely strange or coincidental that you have just posted this; I live in Greater Manchester, more specifically a town called Wigan which Google maps estimates is approximately 30 miles away from Manchester Piccadilly station.

Probably about rougly 10/15 minutes ago, (which would be very close to the time your friend sent you the online message) I heard a very loud bang outside which startled me. I presumed it was a large firework going off to be honest, given the distance between my location and that of your friend it would seem highly unlikely to be connected although I must admit that it's more than a highly unlikely coincidence.

I've just checked the BBC's wesbite and had a quick search on Google but can't see anything, seems pretty strange and I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread (and the news).....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I know Wigan very well. But as you say the distance is more than twenty miles from Manchester.

It COULD be just fireworks in the lead up to NYE , although it's very out of character for my friend to be spooked like this.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still checking online now.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What's the weather like up there? I ask because sometimes thunder can sound like a massive bang as opposed to rumbling sounds.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Go out an look for smoke rising, news choppers, the sound of cops screaming to the point of the blast. Let us know!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by recreateaplace

Think it's pretty dry and cold. No rain.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Darren Ferguson got the sack at Preston today. Maybe it was his red-nosed daddy having a temper tantrum?
edit on 29-12-2010 by crudos because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2010 by crudos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well, the noise I heard was loud enough to make me jump a little, it sounded like a large firework exploding but extremely close by. I've just asked my Girlfriend who was travelling back to our house, probably a 3 mile drive or so from where she was but she says she didn't hear anything.

Most likely fireworks with New Years Eve celebrations like you said, but I'm a little spooked at the coincidence. The timing between the bang your friend heard and the one I heard here would probably be more or less spot on, hmm strange...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Maybe just maybe someone was digging a trench and hit an old german 500 ponder....just maybe.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Yeah very odd stuff. I have friends and relatives in both areas (wigan, manchester etc) so it's cause for concern.

Stay safe and please let me know if you find anything out. Probably and hopefully nothing.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by recreateaplace
What's the weather like up there? I ask because sometimes thunder can sound like a massive bang as opposed to rumbling sounds.

Foggy and dry although the ground is still wet where the remaining bits of snow are thawing out; definitely not conditions for thunder in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by recreateaplace

Foggy and dry although the ground is still wet where the remaining bits of snow are thawing out; definitely not conditions for thunder in my opinion.

Strange, nothing on google at all, only links to this thread and football stuff

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by recreateaplace

Hopefully nothing then. Didn't mean to worry anyone - just thought i'd give a heads up. Was just a little concerned for a few people.

Thanks for the input so far. If anyone finds anything out, please post here.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
how close are you to russia?
www.manchesterwired.co.uk...

cargo plane crashed, maybe its what you heard

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I lived in Manchester, so know full well especially at this time of the year, it would most likely be local scally's setting off fireworks. And maybe in both areas, so it would seem to tie up when writing about it online.

Either than or could be a gas explosion.

But I guess we will have to wait and see. if nothing else comes out of this, then suspect it is just the above.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kombat13
how close are you to russia?
www.manchesterwired.co.uk...

cargo plane crashed, maybe its what you heard

The same distance New York is to Los Angeles, maybe further.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Here in Tallahassee, FL we have had fighter jets coming and going all week, and they have been doing so with an unusual amount of noise. We rarely see fighter jets here, because all the Air Force bases are at least 100 miles away. Occasionally they do training up here, or they fly in for big events and train leading up to a weekend flyover. It is very rare that they fly in and out at full power and noise level.

There is also a thread about rumblings in the sky yesterday over Washington State in the U.S.

I'm getting at this point......maybe it was a sonic boom? Maybe there is something going on somewhere in the UK that caused fighter jets to scramble at top speed? It happens from time to time here, and it is never reported in the news. An errant plane might stray into secure air space and fighters get scrambled and they happen to break the sound barrier in a place that is unusual.

Could it have been a sonic boom?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i did a search of google and that is all i found. the only other thing close to a loud bang was a gas explosion that killed 11 awhile ago.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Here in Tallahassee, FL we have had fighter jets coming and going all week, and they have been doing so with an unusual amount of noise. We rarely see fighter jets here, because all the Air Force bases are at least 100 miles away. Occasionally they do training up here, or they fly in for big events and train leading up to a weekend flyover. It is very rare that they fly in and out at full power and noise level.

There is also a thread about rumblings in the sky yesterday over Washington State in the U.S.

I'm getting at this point......maybe it was a sonic boom? Maybe there is something going on somewhere in the UK that caused fighter jets to scramble at top speed? It happens from time to time here, and it is never reported in the news. An errant plane might stray into secure air space and fighters get scrambled and they happen to break the sound barrier in a place that is unusual.

Could it have been a sonic boom?

There aren't any fighter carrying bases around Manchester I don't think, and even if they were scrambled they scramble usually from RAF Lossimouth in Scotland and RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire, both hundreds of miles from Manchester, though it could have been one going supersonic anyway but could you really hear it from 30 miles?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Oh Come on BAE Warton has always been suspected as being the UK's "Area 51" that's why there were sighting of fast moving black triangles over Blackpool!

The plot thickens!! Da da dAAAAAAA

top topics

<<   2 >>

join