It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The arrogance of the atheists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Maybe I came across a bit harsh, it was not intended. But in your OP, you simply said atheists, not militant atheists or extremeists. I take that as you meaning that all atheists are arrogant pricks trying to destroy religion. Thats not the case

Personally I dont care what anyone believes in, but if you start attacking my beliefs, I will endeavour to point out all the flaws in yours. Frankly, it goes both ways anyway...Ive seen many relgious people carry on attacking evolution and atheism, as well as people who share my beliefs doing the same. So before you label us as arrogant, take a good long hard look at the people that share your religious view point and try and see it from our point too

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Did you read that post I linked, Oz? If you did, you'll see me agreeing with you.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35

Did you read that post I linked, Oz? If you did, you'll see me agreeing with you.

Yes I did

Im sorry...i get aggresive sometimes, mainly because im sick of people using the religion to justify their attacks on atheism, evolution or certain social groups. Part of the reason I rarely visit ATS and hide on BTS

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Well, it seems I'm finding myself here much more lately. Seems like most people are just really generally angry about EVERYTHING.. There's just too many angry folks right now.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Humans have a natural urge for GOD

Humans have a natural urge for GOD, even Atheists have that urge, if they didn't, they wouldn't participate in religious discussion as religious discussions are usually outside the realm of empirical evidence.

Empirical evidence does not have all the answers.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I am Agnostic also as other posters have claimed but see the same incredible arrogance you complain about in the words of your thread - There is a word for that! The reason many Atheists come across that way is because mainstream organised religion is in their face everywhere!

When you walk down the street you will see a church, Chapel, synagogue or mosque! You see people dressed in religious garb. You get bombardment on radio/tv/other advertising! the list goes on & on!

It's in their face everyday & to the atheists it's just more propaganda rammed at their faces with limited opportunity to respond! They see forums like this as just a way to have their say! They are greatly out numbered so it is perfectly natural to respond this way! Again I am Agnostic not Atheist. So how do I know this? My brother is Atheist!

let's get this straight, you don't see it the same way as the Atheists & therefore they are arrogant towards others? Arrogant because they have some opinion difference Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

As you would see IF you had read the thread, I have already come to the conclusion that this was just as bad an idea as any of the other threads, especially the title of the OP. While what is written is still true of some of the atheists here, it is just as true a for some of the "religious" here. My point was some rationale behind all of the bickering. But I see that there is really no rationale behind the majority of attack posts, for either the militant atheist or the religious zealot.

I am assuming since the tone of your post was an attack, that you are one of "those", agnostic label or not.

If you HAD bothered to read this thread, you would have seen some of the best discussion this subject has ever gotten on ATS. You could definitely benefit from taking in some of these other poster's knowledge!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I am assuming since the tone of your post was an attack, that you are one of "those", agnostic label or not.

Well that is fine because yours was an attack thread with an agenda! In your OP you only bashed the Atheist not religious people! then you come back later in the thread & claim "they all do it" type stuff! Fair Dinkum you think people are stupid? your intent was expressed clearly in the opening Post of the thread!

Then label me one of "those"! well that shows you are about as tolerant of other peoples opinions as some of the religions you defend!

As you would see IF you had read the thread

Well if you would have read the entire thread you would have seen I did respond to your post with argument & yet you did not even want to discuss that you just wanted to attack! In other words you had nothing to debate! You only wanted to attack!

You could definitely benefit from taking in some of these other poster's knowledge!

So could you, that is the pot calling the kettle black! The thread title was absolute attack that needed to be defended! The fact you would even do this and label Atheist's as arrogant shows an extreme lack of intolerance on your behalf for people to have different opinions to your own! Atheists are not arrogant they are just having their say!
edit on 30-12-2010 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Take your argument to ATS. There are plenty of folks there that always want to fight.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Take your argument to ATS. There are plenty of folks there that always want to fight.

Well what do you expect? You start an attack thread entitled "The arrogance of the atheists"! Atheists are not arrogant! they are having their say & just because you disagree with what they say you offensively label them! Again what did you expect?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

You just cannot help but continually prove the point, can you?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

You just cannot help but continually prove the point, can you?

Yes And I have proven that it is not Atheists but people like you who are the arrogant ones for having intolerance for other peoples beliefs! . Geez start an attack thread (The title is proof in itself it was a targeted attack thread) & then complain & use stupid "Duh" emoticons when taken to task on it! I have have given you reasons why Atheists are not arrogant... Would you care to respond to those words or continue with your attack on the Atheists?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I have already said that I don't believe that all atheists are arrogant. I have already stated that I see just as many arrogant religious people as there are the atheist.

Is it your inability to see that I'm agreeing with most of what you are saying that's the problrm here, or are you really so desperate to provoke a rabid response from me? Or is it more that you can't understand what I've said? Here is another emoticon for ya:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I have already said that I don't believe that all atheists are arrogant. I have already stated that I see just as many arrogant religious people as there are the atheist.

This is called back tracking! You are walking away from your statements! If this was so true why was this sentiment not conveyed in the opening post? Strewth! you think we are silly! You had an agenda when you started thread & are now backing away from it!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

As you can plainly see from this post:

Oh, dear, I cannot keep going. You know what the sad thing is, as I had to go and read so many "atheism vs christianity threads" to answer you, I came to a realization: each side is just as nasty as the other. What a sad thing that is.There are very, very few members here that can participate in a rational discussion of this subject. On both sideds of the aisle it seems that the irrational, arrogant members scream so loudly that the reasonable cannot be heard.

I must say, though, that THIS thread has had a very different tone. I appreciate each and every one of you that have contributed so far. You have actually added new knowledge for me. For that I am grateful.

phatpackage, I cannot believe that you have never seen this happen before. It's called "LEARNING". It's a process I go through as often as possible so that I can better understand the rest of humanity.

You should try it, you might like it!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

It's called "LEARNING".

You may call it this but I call that a "Euphemism" for backing down whilst saving face. You saw your agenda was not popular & decided to back down ...... Not cool ...... But anyway at least the title of this thread has been debunked. How about you move it to Hoax board?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

You really amaze me. I'm sorry that you have such difficulty understanding me. Really, I am sorry for you. Seems you may be unteachable. That is always a sad state to be in.

Hoax forum? Really? I'll have to think about that?
(just for you)

Nitey-nite, don't let the knowledge bugs bite!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
OP, prove to me God exists.

You cannot

Therefor you use something that we call "Argument from ignorance", I would be doing the same if it were not for large parts of the bible already deemed as false or incorrect at the time of writing due to scientific understanding.

Atheists are not ignorant, but they see a progressive world without religion where a mans choices are his own without fear of punishment as the best way forward for humanity, and I cannot take anyone seriously who accepts religion without serious scrutiny, just like i scrutinize science, it's not infallible but it's a damn sight more believable than God.

Also. Look up the term "God of the Gaps"

I'm not ready to accept Science nor religion as law. Both have their misconceptions but Science is progressive and Religion is not. as we delve into atoms, particles, the universe, we discover more and more about our existence, sooner or later the Religious will run out of interpretations for the bible and then we will be forced to adopt another way.

edit on 30-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Nitey-nite, don't let the knowledge bugs bite

Hanging your head like a beaten favorite! Fully debunked and should be in the hoax forum!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join