It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The arrogance of the atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
As an atheist, I will agree there are some of us who are rather obnoxious. This goes with any form of belief, or lack thereof as well. I've been guilty myself of arguing against various beliefs, and "I" was the one at the time who offered information that was wrong.
It IS very tempting at times to jump into some of the posts on here, but you can tell from experience on the board which messages are real and which ones are just being posted to see what kind of reaction they will generate. I have decided to stay out of those, and pretty much any posted by certain members on here who's "tactics" I've watched.
To me, what you believe should be as private as the sex you have (or either wish you have) with your significant other. It's nobody's damn business. I resent anyone telling me what I should believe or what I should think just because it works for them. If I decide to change ANYTHING, it will be because "I" initiated the chain of events that led up to it - because I have thought it out - not because you came by my door and handed me a mass produced pamphlet with pictures of what looks like a multi-racial family having an outdoor picnic in a petting zoo.
It's like gay people. I don't care that you are gay. I have no problem with that. I'll treat you no differently, I don't judge. Where I have the problem with it is when it is up in my face, or being imposed upon me. I don't like eggplant either, I think it's disgusting - and I don't want to watch anyone eat it either.
I don't care if you believe in allah, yahweh, or the fsm - that's you. Not me. If I'm not inquiring you as to your beliefs, please assume that means that I am not interested in it at all. In fact, you can also assume that I hold as much interest in your religious beliefs as I do the protein content of your last bowel movement. That also goes for your sexual inclination, political party, marital stability, and quantity of alcohol you consumed last weekend.
We don't live in a perfect world. We are not perfect beings. We are never ever ever ever ever ever ever going to agree on everything. The best we can hope for is to agree on most things some of the time....or vice versa.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

This was my main problem here. I have participated in a few of these threads and been instantly dismissed as hysterical and ignorant because I believe in God. On any other thread, I receive stars and approval for my intelligence. I think it is sad that these atheists will consider you intelligent unless you profess a belief in something they don't understand. I think that it shows a lack of willingness to learn anything new. Their minds are closed to any possibilities outside their understanding.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Maybe you should read some of my replies. Religion has been hijacked. Btw how would heaven be heaven if evil people were allowed in too? Just because some confused people who believe the lies and evil say you will burn in hell for trivial reasons, doesn't mean they are genuine and heard the call of our creator. These people are meant to turn you away from the creator, and I must say they have been doing a good job. The only people who have to worry about hell are the people who oppose god, kill, and generally make life hell for us on this plane of existence. If religion is so wrong why do so many different cultures have similar beliefs regarding creation? I am native american and many of our legends have eerie similarities with many of the religions across the globe. In my information technology classes were told that the more information is spread, the more the data is degraded. I believe the same applies to religion. At one time in the past people were given their sacred teachings and they changed or were changed on purpose over time. Take rumors for instance, how much of the story has changed from the original event?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

We might not agree on spirituality, but I 100% agree with this post!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezwar

I also believe that this is the problem. We have been misled so long and the true word buried and distorted that one has to search for truth. Sadly, it is easier for the majority to read a little of what is widely distributed and call "HOAX". It is much harder to dig out the truth.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

You can't blanket all atheists as arrogant any more than you can blanket all believers as arrogant. There is plenty of arrogance in both camps.

And what was wrong with this thread that you had to start another one?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Don't feel bad! I swore I was gonna quit, and instead I started a whole THREAD on it!

I just really wanna know why they feel the need to obsess over my beliefs so much.It shouldn't have any effect on their life in any way, yet they seem obsessed with crushing our belief.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

And what was wrong with this thread that you had to start another one?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What wasn't wrong with that thread

Good grief I was finally hoping we had seen the end of it
edit on 29-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
reply to post by freedish

If god actually existed, and 'it' actually had infinite power and wisdom do you really think that it would be so arrogant that it would have people burning for all eternity if they did not believe in it?

Where does it say that in the Bible?

It doesn't.

Don't listen to other people, read the bible for yourself.

Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Rev 20:14

You die a second death. A permanent death. You no longer exist.

"The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy." Psalm 145:20.
edit on 29-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I don't suppose that there is a thing wrong with that thread. I started this one, so I like this one. I even have an article in mine!

Why don't you participate in that thread.

I didn't ever state that "all" atheists are arrogant. The article didn't state that "all" atheists are arrogant. It questions why so many of them seem to be militant about crushing the beliefs of those who don't agree with their views. The same question I am asking here.

Are you an atheist, or are you just arrogant?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You state that only 2% of the world are athiests,fine but 85.4% of the worlds population live in developing countries where aids/poverty/starvation etc are rife,these people need something to believe in just like many people in developed countries do when their on their death bed's.
So i'd rather go on a percentage say, in my native britain where a recent poll discovered only 38% of britains believe in god!

edit on 29/12/10 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

That figure is about to go way up since britain seems to have a fertility problem as most atheist european countries do. They are fixing it by letting immigrants into their countries to prop up their economies. The majority of these immigrants are muslim. People who have faith in god seem to have much much higher birth rates. A coincidence..I think not.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Don't listen to other people, read the bible for yourself

Well, there is a problem with this. The bible that is widely available has so many things wrongly translated as to be very misleading of the nature of Yahweh. It has been spun to make Him sound like a war-mongering tyrant. Those of us who have seeked to find His true nature know that this is not true, but to the casual reader, it is what is presented.

The thing is, to really learn about God, you have to first be interested in Him and His character. The majority of the atheists are not worried about really learning about God, they only use the text to browbeat believers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35

Don't listen to other people, read the bible for yourself

Well, there is a problem with this. The bible that is widely available has so many things wrongly translated as to be very misleading of the nature of Yahweh. It has been spun to make Him sound like a war-mongering tyrant. Those of us who have seeked to find His true nature know that this is not true, but to the casual reader, it is what is presented.

The thing is, to really learn about God, you have to first be interested in Him and His character. The majority of the atheists are not worried about really learning about God, they only use the text to browbeat believers.

Exactly. They have already chosen not to believe in their heart so it doesn't matter what evidence you bring to the table...they don't want to believe so they will reject it and find any evidence that seems to contradict God so they can feel justified in their unbelief.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted before, but i think the image sums it up nicely.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zero314

Thanks for making the OP's point for me! Nothing like posting a chart and adding nothing to it to cement your argument for/ against the OP!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There are quite a few, seemingly militant, atheists out there; but they express no greater fanaticism than any other fanatical group.

The majority of atheists I've met are usually reasonable people. I just don't understand why they limit themselves the way they do. Most freely admit there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of this god or that, or even a higher reality. They acknowledge the scientific method is useless in the debate itself, yet have the tendency to characterize it as a superior method of acquiring knowledge.

That may be the case for scientific knowledge, but that isn't the only knowledge to be had. There are higher truths to be known. I love my family. That is a known truth (at least for me), but cannot be quantified. It just seems that they're missing out on a lot by focusing on only what can be measured and recreated in a lab somewhere. This goes just the same for religious fanatics by limiting themselves to their own particular dogmatic doctrine, and rejecting everything else.

In a way, I feel sorry for such people. But if that's the path they choose, good luck to them. I hope they find what they need.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I dont need to have an argument, the image says it all. Cheers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

You are right. There are sad, militant people on both sides of this debate. They have made up their minds that they already have all the truth and can't be taught anything new. That is a very limited way to live.

reply to post by zero314

A cartoon sums up your whole argument? See above reply.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You can even go to great lengths to show them something, something they certainly haven't considered before, a whole new way of looking at things, a new frame of reference, and in return, they simply default back, wayyy back, to a place of understanding not even close to what's being conveyed and undertood by the readers, while at the same time becoming even nastier, since they DO understand at some level, but refuse to be led to consider anything other than what they already KNOW, and keep on parroting, even though the thing they are railing against must by its very nature reside in an unknown unknown. The whole atheist gig is ABSURD, and pretty amuzing the more you think about it.
And yes, they are very obsessed over this thing they don't believe in, and for the most part are very rude, insulting and arrogant, even meanspirited towards otherwise kind hearted and good natured believers.

I'm TEMPTED to really give it to them, and I could, but I won't. So I'll just keep on trying to bridge build and extend the hand of friendship.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join