It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Boiling Frog Analogy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Theres an old saying that if you put a frog into boiling water, he will immediately jump out.
But if you slowly raise the temperature you will eventually cook the frog.

Since 9/11 what i have seen is the slow yet incremental change towards more security to make us safer.

from airport scanners, wiretapping, surveillance, police powers, no fly lists to now the mobile guard towers called skywatch.

These changes would have caused a lof of anger and outcry had they happened all at once, but it seems the American public is accepting them just like the frog being slowly boiled.

see this video here for the frog analogy

from wikipedia

The boiling frog story is a widespread anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually.

This is also known as Creeping normalcy, which refers to the way a major change can be accepted as normality if it happens slowly, in unnoticed increments, when it would be regarded as objectionable if it took place in a single step or short period.

How far is this going to go?
Are you noticing the water warming at all??

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sianara

Huge new cameras just went up at the major intersection between my work and my house. The state decided to put up the "red light cameras" some time last year and I guess now they are following through.

The most concerning part is the shear size of the cameras. They have what looks like a little radar dome, and there is a set of 3 cameras on each of the 4 corners of the intersection for a total of 12 cameras! Seems a little drastic just to catch red light runners, especially since one camera on each pod points AWAY from the intersection! I suppose it is to catch your license plate as you flee?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes the same in our region - it was said traffic cameras were going to be placed at a major intersection, and all of a sudden they're at every major intersection, and some so not.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The question is....

Why isnt everyone spraying the cameras with spraypaint

Sianara, yes it is rather scary at how these supposed security measures are being implemented at such an indiscreet rate so that the public doesnt throw a hissy fit.

im waiting for the TSA to introduce rubber glove treatment to random travelers, maybe that will wake the public up!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sianara

This is also known as Creeping normalcy, which refers to the way a major change can be accepted as normality if it happens slowly, in unnoticed increments, when it would be regarded as objectionable if it took place in a single step or short period.

How far is this going to go?
Are you noticing the water warming at all??

The water is getting crowded. Three million people entering this country every year. Thats 300 million in 100 years. If you add in all their children,and childrens children etc, it will be in the billions. Estimates are there are 20 to 40 million here illegally.2 Immigrants with a birthrate of 4 will produce 120+ descendants in 80 years.

edit on 29-12-2010 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join