It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge Photos (National Geo): (lets get everyone up to speed on this)...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

STONEHENGE:

Stonehenge Dusk (photograph by Richard Nowitz)

The 5,000-year-old Stonehenge monument in Wiltshire, England, shown here bathed in pastel twilight, has been examined by scientists for centuries. And though our understanding of the structure has increased greatly, particularly in recent years, questions persist about who built Stonehenge and why.

Stonehenge Settlement (photograph by Adam Stanford)

An aerial view shows excavations of a cluster of homes in the ancient English village of Durrington Walls. Archaeologists think the Neolithic settlement may have been connected with nearby Stonehenge as part of a large religious complex. The houses being excavated may have even been occupied by some of the builders of Stonehenge

Stonehenge Crane (photograph by Fox Photos/Getty Images)

It required one of the largest cranes in England to lift Stonehenge's massive rock lintels during a rehabilitation project at the site in 1958. The size of the stones used to build the ancient monument—some pillars are 30 feet (9 meters) long and weigh 50 tons (45 metric tons)—and the distances they were moved have led to wild theories of supernatural involvement in the building of the structure.

Stonehenge Picnic (photograph by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

An 1877 photo shows a group of highbrow picnickers relaxing in the shade of one of Stonehenge's giant trilithons. Included in the gathering is Queen Victoria's son, Prince Leopold (reclining, looking at camera).

Stonehenge Sunset (photograph by Jim Richardson)

The beauty and mystery of Stonehenge, seen here at sunset, have made it one of the world's most popular and beloved ancient landmarks, with nearly a million people visiting the site each year. It's even inspired an American homage in Nebraska: an exact replica—made from 33 welded-together vintage automobiles—called Carhenge.

I saw the 1st picture/layout yesterday and I thought I best not put it on ATS as many people will say the usual: This has been discussed to death etc... here on ATS before.... and list a bunch of links. (maybe?).

Anyway, I was talking about the photos at dinner last night and the kid starts asking a bunch of questions (who & why).... And, I didn't know enough to respond truthfully etc. I look on ATS and saw somethings but not what I wanted to see/read etc.

That got me to thinking. With so many new members etc and no recent discussion/explainations/thread has been done recently so maybe many of us noobs can get some education today from some of the more knowledgable in this topic area. Looking forward to your input. Pleae, post any of your own photos for us to see etc. Stonehenge is on my list of Top 10 thins to visit/do. Especially since I heard they have discover addtional things related to it-nearby (from what I heard-checking).

Enjoy (and think about this one). I think we take it for granted anymore-without really knowing exactly how it was used and for what exact purpose. Or am I wrong?

And, look at the crane photos. How in the hell did humans-without that type of tool/equipment-buid it?

And the old time photos. People have been enjoying and wondering about this puppy for a long long time. Taking it for granted....

Sure hope there isn't some massive alien/ufo ship underthere, just waiting for the right time... ugh

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don't know why they did it but this guy could build it by himself without modern equipment, no need for a crane.

edit on 29-12-2010 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This guy shows how one person could build a structure like Stonehenge ... its all about the simple lever.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

People do seem to forget that modern machines are only extensions of very basic principles that have been known about for thousands of years, levers and pulleys, a crane might well mechanise the operation but it's still just a big bunch of levers and pulleys joined together .

I like the video! Shows what you can do with the worlds simplest machines

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Dring the excavations, did they find any lil grey things underneath the foundations? Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me but among the foundations looks like a hatch or opening....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well, I must say that video is impressive. BUT, the one thing I noticed that made it possible was that they did all of those feats on a concret slab. Which, apparently was build to withstand massive weight. I don't think they would be able to do it back then, on regular ground.

Not saying this guy is onto something but still. It had to have been a massive project. Thanks for putting that up.

Going to check out his site now.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The Video doesn't explain how he will get the cap stones on top of the vertical ones. I'm always blown away at the idea that anyone would want to work so hard on anything. Moving stones of that size such long distances for what purpose? Were they forced to do it as slaves? Interesting that they had to choose that specific point for construction of stone Henge. Is it really a powerful intersection of Ley lines and how would an ancient race come to this knowledge?

As usual more answers yield more questions....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well the one thing that we know the people that built Stonehenge weren't short of was large stone blocks

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kbriggss

Back then Ideology meant a lot, especially when your entire way of life was motivated by it, especially with the Wessex People, who are believed to have been the driving force behind the 3rd phase of construction, they were considered advanced for that period in terms of construction methods and mathematics, two things which would have been massively important in accomplishing such a fantastic project.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I got to thinking. This man only shows a possible way they moved rocks into place etc.

That doesn't explain how they got them there from 150+ miles away.

You toss that into the mix with the tools they possessed and the number of people they had to utilze, something doesn't add up.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

Not so fast. This man is only moving the stones in place. And he doesn't even finish showing us how you put the top stones on?? Ohhhh thats right, he can't.
I'm not saying aliens had to build stonehenge, all I am saying is that the ancient people knew how to move stones without using a million slaves. They knew something and it has been lost or kept a secret.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

Here is the guy's 5 page website that explains all. Well, except for the top pieces... hmmm.

The Forgotten Technology

www.theforgottentechnology.com...

By the way, if implies "Bring it On!" with this (again IMO):
If you have any questions regarding the information within this site, please email us at Questions@theforgottentechnology.com

A section from his site:

My first 1 man Stonehenge replica of 2400 lb. blocks put in place with no hoisting equipment.

Attempting To Solve A Mystery

For many years people have tried to solve the mystery of the Egyptian pyramids, some even claiming extra terrestrial intervention. I have always enjoyed the challenge of a mystery and I know that ET did not have anything to do with ancient construction. Similar works were done in different places on earth and at different times in history and there has to be a more accurate explanation. I believe skilled individuals performed the work. I have found that this work could easily be done using only primitive tools and physics.

And then this claim (section from his site):

Introducing The First Machine To Walk The Face Of The Earth

I have found that ancient legends from around the world are true. Some megaliths could have been set in place by as few as one man. I could build The Great Pyramid of Giza, using my techniques and primitive tools. On a twenty-five year construction schedule, (working forty hours per week at fifty weeks per year, using the input of myself to calculate) I would need a crew of 520 people to move blocks from the main quarry to the site and another 100 to move the blocks on site. For hoisting I need a crew of 120 (40 working and 80 rotating). My crew can raise 7000 lb. 100 ft. per minute. I have found the design of the pyramid is functional in it’s own construction. No external ramp is needed

Anyway, I have to say... very impressive. But I still maintain that he may demostrate ways it could have been done (possible in some of the stones) but no one is claiming that is how Stonehenge was done. The people, materials, supplies, etc etc... It wasn't done with a few people-IMO. And the claim that he could build the Giza Pyramid himself.... I don'k know. Pretty cocky for sure. Or just pretty confident?

By-the-way. I think this would be a perfect story for ATS News to folow-up on -do a piece about. I think it would be well watched/reviewed. IMO.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I got to thinking. This man only shows a possible way they moved rocks into place etc.

That doesn't explain how they got them there from 150+ miles away.

You toss that into the mix with the tools they possessed and the number of people they had to utilze, something doesn't add up.

Thats a good point I was about to make.... these huge stones were not on site at the time and were moved at least 150 miles, every one of them.

And the more fascinating thing about Stonehenge, for me, is not that they managed to move these massive stones but why and where did the idea to do this come from?

Remember these were simple people back then without too much knowledge of mechanics, it's a one off building without previous examples to go by. Why did they go to all this trouble? believe me it would have been trouble. Can you imagine yourself and a few friends taking something like this on without modern equipment. Moving massive stones weighing hundreds of tonnes over 150 miles of countryside (not roads), then lifting them 30 foot in the air and placing them with precision on columns. Take into account the fact your knowledge of mechanics would have been a lot less.... I bet you/me and the guy in the clip above couldn't do it. I haven't seen him lift the stones on top of the columns yet, is there a clip of this? would be great to see.

edit on 29-12-2010 by II HAL II because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

It wasn't one of a kind, lots of henge's were built.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This man has not really replicated anything as far as stonehenge. First off he used ....
"My first 1 man Stonehenge replica of 2400 lb. blocks put in place with no hoisting equipment."
Ok, so we have a 2400 lb block. The blocks at stonehenge weigh more than 20 tons. That is 40,000+ lbs. Once again we have someone who thinks they can replicate something when if fact all they did was reduce the scale by a few hundred percent and bam! He can make the pyramids...lololol ....yeah right
edit on 29-12-2010 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

Thank you. That's what I was trying to come up with.

To scale.

You put it so nicely too.

Star

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
this place is very strange but i dont think it deserves all the attention it recieves when you have stuff like pyramids and temples and ancient roman fighting arenas. each to there own

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There are certain stones at stone henge called the blue stones. Apparently these have high quartz content. Some say this was to tap into energy from leylines. Interestingly quartz has piezo electrical qualities. The part i don't get is this; They had to transport these blue stones from the preseli mountains in Wales. A distance of 200 miles, through, back then, a heavily forested great britain.Down the mountains with them, up forested hills down valleys, and across the river severn estuary (About a mile wide at the point they likely would have crossed) These stones weigh many tonnes each. How in the f@!k did they do it!?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

They had to transport these blue stones from the preseli mountains in Wales. A distance of 200 miles, through, back then, a heavily forested great britain.Down the mountains with them, up forested hills down valleys, and across the river severn estuary (About a mile wide at the point they likely would have crossed) These stones weigh many tonnes each. How in the f@!k did they do it!?

That is exactly what I was hoping to generate with this thread but it missed the mark-I think.

I just don't buy the whole Druid thing. If anything, they came upon the already in place/build Stonehenge and claimed it their own-or took the land etc. Made it part of their religion/beliefs etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I found this very interesting indeed - I have always wondered how ancient people built these structures with stones so large - 20 tons is a ludicrous weight to shift.
Who Built Stonehenge

A quote from this site certainly makes sense as to how the stones could have been transported from wales to the site

The Welsh Stone - Stonehenge is situated on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire - the River Avon is just two kilometres away. The approach to Stone henge, called the Avenue, leads down to the River Avon

However as others have pointed out - how exactly would they get the top stones in place?
Another site offers some information on this,
How was it built?
here is the quote regarding it:

Though information has come forth about when Stonehenge was erected, the identity of its builders remains unknown—and where the stones came from and how they were moved into place, are yet other matters to be investigated. The Sarcens likely came from Marlborough Downs, a quarry site about 18 miles northeast of Stonehenge. How the stones could be moved from by a prehistoric people without the aid of the wheel or a pulley system is not known. The most common theory of how prehistoric people moved megaliths has them creating a track of logs on which the large stones were rolled along.

Another megalith transport theory involves the use of a type of sleigh running on a track greased with animal fat. Such an experiment with a sleigh carrying a 40-ton slab of stone was successful near Stonehenge in 1995. A dedicated team of more than 100 workers managed to push and pull the slab along the 18-mile journey from Marlborough Downs.

To erect the slab, the group dug a hole. The slab was pushed over the hole until it fell in. Then, a team pushed while another pulled by rope to make the slab stand upright. The hole was filled after the process was repeated with a second slab. The lintel stone that forms the top of the trilithon was pushed up a ramp and then maneuvered into place on top of the two pillars. Engineers at the test site believed that levers may have been used to raise the lintel stone, and timber put underneath; the process was repeated until the lintel stone rested on timber at the necessary height to push it in place to complete the trilithon.

Whether such methods were actually used during the construction is not known. Still, human sweat and ingenuity were shown as a legitimate alternative to Merlin's magic and other theories about how Stonehenge was erected

I am no expert by any stretch in this area, just some information I have found regarding the topic, but I dont think anyone will ever categorically know how it was built because it is all speculation based on what we think ancient civilisations had available to them. It could be they had methods available that have been lost forever but made these tasks quite straightforward...

A more relevant question - Why would they build this? It must have taken years to build and apparently work on the site has been carbon dated from a period spanning a total of 800 years from 2600BC to 1800BC.
Given a life span of around 30 years back then (based on this page en.wikipedia.org...) and a useful adult life span of say 15-25, that means that each generation could contribute 10 years to the task, so it must have taken 80 Generations of people to complete this task.
The people building this must have been "forced" into the task, or why else would they spend their short lifetimes rolling and lifting stones for no gain or benefit to themselves?
Surely after a few generations of this being built, subsequent generations that would have seen their fathers/grandfathers and uncles gone for most of their useful adult lives would have just "upped sticks" and relocated somewhere else to avoid the same fate for themselves and their families?
Unless these people literally had no choice which I do find hard to believe.

The why question poses more interesting debate for me. What is everyone elses views on this area?

Thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join