It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary: News Must be 'Fair And Balanced' - Or Else

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The government of Hungary has made a move to 'protect' it's citizens from news stories that are "unbalanced or offensive to human dignity or common morals". Problem I see is, who decides what is acceptable? Same as always, the ones who are in power who might not want to be seen in a negative light. "I'm from the government, I'm here to help and or arrest you."

It is just scary how the dictatorial government's are making a resurgence. It seems that we do not learn from our mistakes and are destined to repeat them. It almost seems that humanity needs this arch nemesis, you know - fair and balanced - yin and yang- good and evil.

This is how things get fudged up fast. The law is designed to "protect you". If I get any more protection, I would be in a cell with guards "protecting" my door.

Media censorship, coming to a country near you.

This from the country that is taking the lead in the rotating presidency of the E.U.

A bit more from the article:

Under the new Law on Media and the Freedom of Press, national TV channels whose news coverage is found to be "unbalanced or offensive to human dignity or common morals" could be fined the equivalent of almost $1 million, reports the New York Times, while daily newspaper and Internet news sites could face fines of up to $120,000. Weeklies and magazines could see fines of almost $50,000.

Most problematically, human rights groups say the law is vague on what constitutes an offense, and will be administered by an agency controlled by the prime minister's allies -- a perfect recipe for political oppression.

A newly created National Media and Communications Authority (NMHH) will have the power to impose heavy fines, ranging from up to 35,000 Euros for periodicals to up to 730,000 Euros for broadcast media, for content it considers to run counter to the “public interest”, “common morality” and “national order”. Fines can also be imposed for “unbalanced” news reporting.

Government representatives assured critics that the new law would not be applied in a restrictive manner. But when a journalist of government-owned radio station MR1-Kossuth Radio used a minute of silence to protest the change in the treatment of the press, he was suspended.

Gyorgy Konrad, a prominent Hungarian writer and communist-era dissident, said the law reminds him "very much of 1933 when the [Nazi party] came to power with an electoral majority under seemingly democratic conditions.
Rawstory

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Very interesting development thx for sharing.

Has the media in Hungary been covering the chemical disaster a few months back much? It's aftermath etc? Studies of the rivers and environments after the accident? Reports on the effects on people who touched the chemicals?

I know it's been largely ignored in the mainstream international media.

Although I personally list it as one of the most important disasters of 2010 easily.

That spill was insanely large.

My point is that the International Media already covers up most "facts" and replaces them with celebrity gossip. It's just not as out in the open as the measures mentioned above.
edit on 29-12-2010 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Good point. I have not heard anything about it in a long time. It must be unfair and unbalanced to the TPTB.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
reply to post by muzzleflash

Good point. I have not heard anything about it in a long time. It must be unfair and unbalanced to the TPTB.

Haha yeah.

Because it unfairly shows their negligence as managers of the human race.

It's unbalanced because all that is visible is their failures and their stupidity.

But what if, TPTB, our managers inc., are mentally unfair and unbalanced?

Than it would be fair and balanced to point out their failures which are a daily event.

Hey it's not our fault our Managers are retarded. Maybe all those stories of elitist inbreeding are true? You know to keep the "blood line pure" or whatever....

It sure explains the present situation.

I vote that if we are going to have an elite class of Aristocrats, they should at least be Sane and HALFWAY intelligent.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

If I get any more protection, I would be in a cell with guards "protecting" my door.

Media censorship, coming to a country near you.

Arrest me now, for my own safety, before I have any more free thoughts, surely I am a danger too myself and my neighbors if I continue to speak my mind.

edit on 30-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join