It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the major religions? And what are their major branches?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm starting to read about religion for the first time in my life. It's some interesting stuff! Confusing though...
For example, what are the differences in the major branches of Christianity? Don't they all believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible?

What are the major religions on Earth, and what are the major branches of those religions? I know that there are thousands of religions with small followings, and within the major religions there are thousands of sects with small followings as well. What I'm looking for are the major ones.

Here's what I've got so far, but I know it's not a complete list. Please help me out, and thanks!

Western Religions
-----------------------

I. Judaism (primarily Middle East & Europe)

II. Islam (primarily Middle East, Indonesia, Phillipines)
...a. Sunni
...b. Shiite

III. Christianity (primarily Europe, North & South America, Australia & New Zealand)
...a. Roman Catholic
...b. Eastern Orthodox
...c. Protestant
......1. Baptist
......2. Methodist
......3. Pentecostal
......4. Lutheran
......5. Presbyterian
......6. Episocopal
......7. Nazerene
......8. Church of Christ

Question: Do Mormons, Quakers, Amish, 7th Day Adventists, and Jehova's Witnesses count as Protestant branches, or their own branches?

Eastern Religions
----------------------

IV. Confucianism (primarily China)

V. Buddhism (primarily China, India, and SE Asia)

VI. Taoism (primarily China)

VII. Shintoism (primarily Japan)

VIII. Hinduism (primarily India)

Question: Where does Sikhism, Jainism, and Zoroastrianism fit in? Are they branches of the Eastern religions listed above, or are they branches of their own?

[Edited on 7/7/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Zoroastrianism came from the middle east. Christianity has adopted some of it, like the concept of Satan as it is known now.

www.religioustolerance.com...

Check out that site, it has the information on most religions on the planet.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have the feeling Discordianism will become real popular when more people realise organized religions are a real joke.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There is a book that was written in the 16th century by a very unique and cool Arab. He travelled around the old world and wrote about every religion he could find among the people. He gives a very rare and good look at them all, through wise and unbiased eyes.

It is called the Book of Manners, or the Dabistan. It is a rare book, out of print for 100 years, but you can find them for about $10-$15 online. Just search exlibris or amazon.

It does not include very detailed information about the Jews or the Christians, but there is plenty of access to that information for a westerner. If does, however, cover Zoroaster, Buddha, Sufism, and all the strange and wonderful religions of India. Islam is it's longest portion, but it is a very fresh look at a religion at the peak of its power at the time. You never knew how civilized and wise the Islamic nations were at the time! They truly deserve study and honor from all students in the world.

You will find the keys of enlightenment in this book if you are able.

Good luck truthseeker wake up soon.

Ark

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The LDS church (or mormon church) is not a branch of other christian churches.

We believe and worship Jesus Christ, we also beleive in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon which is another testament of Jesus Christ.

If you want to learn more, you can check out www.mormon.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zull
The LDS church (or mormon church) is not a branch of other christian churches.

We believe and worship Jesus Christ, we also beleive in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon which is another testament of Jesus Christ.

If you want to learn more, you can check out www.mormon.org...

So, the Mormons believe that an angel appeared before John Smith (living in the U.S. in the 1800's), and told him to go west and found a community, which would eventually become the State of Utah. There he found The Book of Mormon, which told of Jesus coming to North & South America after his ascension into Heaven in the Middle East, where he traveled among and taught Native American tribes the Gospels...

...But, who are the "Latter Day Saints"?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Western continued:
IX. Paganism
-Wicca (Eclectic/Modern)
-Druidism(Celtic)
-Teutonic(Germanic)
-Mithralism(maybe more related to ancient Christianity though...)
-Santeria(Spainish/Mexican)
-Strega(Italian/Roman)
-Dischordian(?Non-prophet disorganization?)
-Asatru(Norse)
-Erisian(Greek)

X. Cyber/Internet
-Kibology

These would also be major players... there are smaller *Traditions* that break down from there...

[Edited on 23-7-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
So, the Mormons believe that an angel appeared before John Smith (living in the U.S. in the 1800's), and told him to go west and found a community, which would eventually become the State of Utah. There he found The Book of Mormon, which told of Jesus coming to North & South America after his ascension into Heaven in the Middle East, where he traveled among and taught Native American tribes the Gospels...

...But, who are the "Latter Day Saints"?

The angel taught Joseph Smith and told him where the golden plates were, the golden plates were translated into the book of mormon. The saints moved west a lot later.

In 600 BC God led a group of people away from Jerusalem, later on instructed a ship to be built and God led the group to the Americas. The book of mormon is a history of that people, and Christ did appear to the people there after he was resurected and already showed himself to the Jews. In the bible where Jesus leaves and says he is visiting his other sheep, the other sheep were in the Americas.

These are the latter days, meaning that the second coming of Jesus will soon be here, so the member of the LDS church are refered to Latter Day Saints.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yay! Another member of the world has been explained the truth behind the first new age prophet's name! I get people telling me that I shouldn't believe in "Josh Smith" all of the time. And I tell them that I don't, because I believe that Joseph Smith was that prophet.

The website that Zull gave is a great reference though. If anyone has any questions about Mormonism, please look there first. The internet is littered with anti-Mormon websites, which in all reality makes me sick as to their sheer multitude. Any questions, feel free to U2U me and I'll see what I can answer.

Are we Protestant? No.
"We are not an institution which has broken away from the Roman Catholic or any other church. We are not part of a reformation. We declare that this is a Restoration. The teachings and organization of the Church are as they were anciently."

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I have the feeling Discordianism will become real popular when more people realise organized religions are a real joke.

Discordianism: A non-prophet disorganization...hehe

new topics

top topics

join