It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid comes close to Earth December 28 2010....and no warning given

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Can you link to the source of this information please?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I would rethink using the RSOE site for this stuff. There was in fact an object that came within 2 LD just this week on Christmas Day.

(2010 YO) 2010-Dec-25 0.0052 2.0 33 m - 74 m 24.5 14.86

That 2.0 is LD. I find that RSOE site rather sketchy in there information on some things but that's just me personally.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

That one is not on the NEO NASA website?

On Christmas day there was 2010 XN69 at 4.2 L.D. but nothing else is still listed?

The RSOE EDIS site is better suited for emergency and distress calls. It has been very useful in learning about things that never hit the MSM, but it definitely isn't the best final source for anything. I do like the all-in-one format though. I can get Emergency Call info, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Sun Activity, and Near Earth Objects all on one page!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It has been bumped down off the current page but it was there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f28adcbb6a6a.jpg[/atsimg]

I still had the old window opened

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

That's it! Thank you! The video said the 28th but I think they did make a mistake...maybe that's why the video was deleted. I really appreciate you taking the time to find it! I have been vindicated! LOL!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article about what we could do in the event an asteroid was going to actually hit the earth
findarticles.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
www.spaceweather.com...

October 12 this year, we did have a 7 meter asteroid approach within .1 LD or about 20,000 miles from earth and inside the orbit of the moon.

Interesting stuff.

I once read somewhere that world-wide there are less than 40 people paid to specifically hunt for earth crossing asteroids, and that currently, given the limited budgets, that we can only cover less than 10% of the sky.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
lmao so the recent near miss on the 28th was at the most 36m in diameter and u were saying that the rich were hiding away in bunkers or what ever lmao:lol

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

That's true....and very scary! I was amazed when I first heard that. You would think that there would be some kind of agency specifically to keep an eye on this....being that it could wipe out all life as we know it.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by UKmonster

I NEVER said that at all....you need to go back and read. I already said that the video which I saw turned out to be a hoax....I never said the earth was doomed, or that the rich were in bunkers, or that there is a conspiracy to hide it. I simply shared something that I saw. So LOL go read before you jump to conclusions ok?
The video had the date wrong as well...it was the 25th.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks SK - and GAOTU789.

...that was a bit close, wasn't it?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
How much damage could a 70 meter asteroid do anyways?

Maybe a 70 mile asteroid...but 70 meters doesn't sound like much...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You were right to make your thread. Even the NEO charts are a forecast, they have to be updated as needed, I think they were revised quite a bit in 2010. Spaceweather.com missed one neo which was a close, (but did mention it after) inside the moon's orbit, in fact there is a thread about it here at ATS somewhere, in exactly the same vein as yours. I think I am right in saying that noone knew about the burger much in advance.

this gives some idea of a timeframe,

news.softpedia.com...

NASA is mandated to find 90% of NEO's posing a threat to earth, and over a certain size, (140 metres diameter plus) Whether they have the money to do that or not, is open to conjecture. The Tunguska asteroid? was an estimated 45 to 70 metres in diameter which caused damage over a considerable area, and is not thought to struck the earth.
edit on 29-12-2010 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
How much damage could a 70 meter asteroid do anyways?

Maybe a 70 mile asteroid...but 70 meters doesn't sound like much...

70 metres was the maximum estimated size at Tunguska.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It is not scary we didn't know about it...nothing happened. What should they do inform you every time your not going to die. Nobody tells your when a plane is going to fly over your head...and guess why?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

very cool site thx for posting, altho what the OP is describing is not listed there the only near earth objects on the 28th were said to be 50+ times farther away then the moon and the op said the video declared it was between us and the moon.

so i winder if the real close ones are not omitted from that site?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 1IN7MILLION

The reason I was wondering is because you can google all the other near earth objects......... but I couldn't find anything about this...as for myself, I would rather NOT know if it was for sure.
edit on 29-12-2010 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by philosearcher
So was this what I saw last night? I was outside at about 7:00p-7:20p when I saw this flash. Not insanely bright but enough to catch my attention. I looked up and saw what looked like burning debris fall for no longer than what you'd expect to see a typical shooting star fall for. I also saw it to the East, if that helps I'm in PA. I don't know what it was but I guess it could've been that asteroid?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

i can not speculate on what you saw , sounds kind of cool but if i was you i would keep looking for another explanation as the "near object" site shows nothing you would have seen that close.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

That's it! Thank you! The video said the 28th but I think they did make a mistake...maybe that's why the video was deleted. I really appreciate you taking the time to find it! I have been vindicated! LOL!

even that one is still 2 times the distance to the moon tho, i thought they were saying it was closer then the moon?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join