It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid comes close to Earth December 28 2010....and no warning given

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Thank you! There is NOTHING to be found about it now...the video I saw said it didn't pose an imminent threat but just came close to us (about half the distance to the moon, which in cosmic terms is close) I just thought it was worth knowing about.

edit on 29-12-2010 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Although these are always interesting to read I can't help but wonder what the author (you) would've like to have seen happened.
Would you please recreate this scenario starting with the 'announcement' that you feel was lacking followed by the most important aspect of your thread: 'your reaction' afterward?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Hi stealthyKat,

Glad you made the post. At least I'm guaranteed to know it did happen. The space authorities were probably 100% sure everything was OK so treated it like usual air....um........space traffic. It seems we, the common folk, will have to live with this type of shadow news about celestial events.

Right now there is some interesting stuff going on with ALL the planets in our system. And that is all we are given thru the msm................."interesting things" Scientists claim.................and that's all we ever get.

BTW, hello from down da' bayou WhO DAT!!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So was this what I saw last night? I was outside at about 7:00p-7:20p when I saw this flash. Not insanely bright but enough to catch my attention. I looked up and saw what looked like burning debris fall for no longer than what you'd expect to see a typical shooting star fall for. I also saw it to the East, if that helps I'm in PA. I don't know what it was but I guess it could've been that asteroid?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I see where you are coming from StealthyKat. The MSM normally do report on these type of events. I think the reason we never heard about it from them is all the weather and holiday news items going on right now. It was probably on there "B list" or "filler items" and was bumped for all the stranded holiday travelers.

Thanks for the info!
OiO

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I will make this outta box statement StealthyKat because I got respects for you for your BP observation inputs with the leak/explosion/entrance ect. So I think that overall there is technology to deflect these objects. Its just the 1z that the technology cannot prevent we have to worry about. Some feel Earth is a farm smh (MABEY) of sorts so I would imagine the FARM stock is protected from uninvited visitiors that try to get past defenses like stock destroying asteriod atleast until harvesting.. something to think about thats all. Again thanks for the BP response. And the current alert.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

It was probably the remnants of the "Geminids" meteor shower.

Geminids are pieces of debris from an object called 3200 Phaethon. Long thought to be an asteroid, Phaethon is now classified as an extinct comet. Basically it is the rocky skeleton of a comet that lost its ice after too many close encounters with the sun. Earth runs into a stream of debris from 3200 Phaethon every year in mid-December, causing meteors to fly from the constellation Gemini. When the Geminids first appeared in the late 19th century, shortly before the U.S. Civil War, the shower was weak and attracted little attention. There was no hint that it would ever become a major display.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well they have told us before about objects that came closer than the moon, so I wonder why not this one. I would have loved to try to catch it on my new telescope I got for christmas... They told us about the Apophis coming in (`28 & returning in `36?) the future, so maybe there was a chance of this one making impact or grazing the earth? If it were to get close enough, like treetop level or even a lot higher, it would still scorch everything in its path, cause tidal waves. etc... It an interesting thought. I wonder if a situation like this could lead to a doomsday scenario? I wonder how far away it would have to be to keep from bursting from air friction but still cause damage? I guess it could still kick up enough dust to cause an apocalyptic winter, so maybe they`s why they didn`t tell us... I wonder if there`s any way to tell if they were all in their shelters at some time until it was deemed to no longer be a threat? Perhaps they used some technology to divert the path so it would not hit us, but they were not sure it would work. Or maybe ancient technology or alien tech went to work and they did not know this was gonna happen. Maybe we avoided apocalypse.

But something tells me there is a possibility that this info could have been made public on one site or another. Maybe some amateur astronomers did know about it already. Interesting event that I`m bummed out to have missed out on. It was probably not visible to my location anyway...And it was probably cloudy at the time it went by anyway..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

Yeah, I googled "asteroid" and many showed up, but nothing about this one...I'm still looking though. A couple of nights ago, I was watching the space station live feed, and there was a bright object that was moving in a straight line. I watch the feed quite a bit, and had never seen it before. Maybe this is what it was. There was just the one video I saw about it...... I accidentally posted the wrong video, and when I went back to youtube, the person who posted it had closed their account.....I'll keep looking though.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This kind of thing gets under my skin everytime I hear of things like this. t is not the first time I have voiced my opinion on matters like this but not on this forum though.

Why does NASA get money?
Why do we only hear from amateur astronomers when things in the sky happen?
Why are asteroids or meteorites or whatever allowed to come this close to the earth without a warning from governments and don't say it is on websites somewhere because not everyone has access to a computer?

If something hits the earth the survivors must sue governments and NASA.

this type of thing should not be allowed.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So you post a thread about an asteroid that came close to the earth with no source. Conviently removed from youtube? I smell something fishy, maybe you should stay out of the pond ms. kat.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantien

I don't think they would tell us because people would panic. In this case, there wasn't any danger of it hitting the earth, but it was close in that it was between the earth and moon. There is so much we don't hear about for exactly that reason. Like a few months ago when we didn't have full control of our nuclear missiles for 20 minutes! Really, if an asteroid was DEFINITLY hit the earth, I don't think I would want to know....can you imagine sitting there for weeks waiting to die? LOL! If you didn't know, you would only have to endure a few minutes of terror....then *poof*....you're ash.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

I wouldn't post it if I didn't actually see it. It could have been a hoax. I wouldn't post something incorrect on purpose.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Atlantien

I don't think they would tell us because people would panic. In this case, there wasn't any danger of it hitting the earth, but it was close in that it was between the earth and moon. There is so much we don't hear about for exactly that reason. Like a few months ago when we didn't have full control of our nuclear missiles for 20 minutes! Really, if an asteroid was DEFINITLY hit the earth, I don't think I would want to know....can you imagine sitting there for weeks waiting to die? LOL! If you didn't know, you would only have to endure a few minutes of terror....then *poof*....you're ash.

I hear you and that reasoning is the reason we are not told about Aliens because of the panic but what happens if we are hit by something will NASA play dumb?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
According to the Nasa NEO site, nothing has come within a LD of earth this week. Closest was 2 LD on Christmas Day.

(2010 XG3) 2010-Dec-28 0.1442 56.1 120 m - 260 m 21.8 5.20
(2010 AF3) 2010-Dec-28 0.1483 57.7 16 m - 36 m 26.1 6.41

That's from the link that Alfred posted earlier.

Maybe whomever made the video realized they made a mistake on the date and pulled it.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I have to apoligize....I think that this may have been fake. There is nothing else about it and the user on youtube took it down and closed thier account. I rushed to get it on here .....next time I'll check it out a little better LOL! Those of you who know me realize I would NEVER post anything that isn't correct on purpose. It seems I was fooled....happens to us all sometimes right? If the moderators want to delete it, it's ok....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Yes, I believe you're right! Can you delete this thread?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well.....I'm glad it turned out to be a hoax! If it were real, I really don't know how I would react...maybe get all my family together. My reaction when I saw it was concern. I should have checked it out better....I usually do, but I rushed this post and I apoligized.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

I am fascinated with the mysteries of the universe....this turned out to be a hoax though...nice to hear from a fellow Saints fan

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I use RSOE EDIS but the data comes from NEO NASA anyway. There hasn't been anything within 3 or 4 L.D. this month.

There was something that approached less than 1 L.D. earlier this year, and it did come as a surprise to the authorities. Not everything in space is known and catalogued. If I remember right the one earlier this year was first noticed by a highschooler? I might be confusing two different stories though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join