It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

- - - Amerika Has Caught Up To 1984 - - -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

"The year 2011 will bring Americans a larger and more intrusive police state, more unemployment and home foreclosures, no economic recovery, more disregard by the US government of US law, international law, the Constitution, and truth, more suspicion and distrust from allies, more hostility from the rest of the world, and new heights of media sycophancy."

Attorney General John Ashcroft complained of candor-mongers to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Americans who insist on speaking their minds, Ashcroft declared, “scare people with phantoms of lost liberty,” “aid terrorists,” “diminish our resolve,” and “give ammunition to America’s enemies."

Cont'd......
www.infowars.com...

!!! Happy New Year America !!!

EDIT To Add:

Video and Quote functions... Haven't been on ATS in a great while.

edit on 29-12-2010 by TheGiantPeach because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I hope infowars material is accepted on this forum.

Mods, please remove if not, I apologize in advance.

The road we're headed down isn't looking too bright for politics in general.

Whatever the case, I suggest reading the thread posted by ATS member 'RedGolem'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

AND.....

The thread recently posted by 'MortimerFester'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Much thanks to you both!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It's not quite 1984, yet. They just watch where we drive, read our e-mails, look at our internet history, listen to our phone calls, track our location via cell phones, monitor our financial transactions, examine our medical records, pretty much throw out our bill of rights and promote (soon to be enforced) citizen reporting of other citizens for mere suspicion. Once they have cameras and microphones in our homes, then we will be in 1984/Brave New World hybrid.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGiantPeach

I've started memorizing books, my new name is "War and Peace"

Seriously though, AmeriCa is not going 1984 our government is. Me, well as an AmeriCan I am going 1776.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I'm not too familiar with this whole the year 1984. What happened in the world that year? I know quite a few songs sing about it, and even movies talk about it.. More than any other year actually, but what made that year so popular to talk about even till now?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

Nineteen Eighty-Four (sometimes written 1984) is a 1949 dystopian novel by George Orwell about an oligarchical, collectivist society. Life in the Oceanian province of Airstrip One is a world of perpetual war, pervasive government surveillance, and incessant public mind control. The individual is always subordinated to the state, and it is in part this philosophy which allows the Party to manipulate and control humanity. In the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue, in Newspeak), protagonist Winston Smith is a civil servant responsible for perpetuating the Party's propaganda by revising historical records to render the Party omniscient and always correct, yet his meagre existence disillusions him to the point of seeking rebellion against Big Brother, eventually leading to his arrest, torture, and reconversion.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yay, boring high school reading! (Sorry, but I thought it was boring.)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

Title Change.... "Amerika Has (About) Caught Up To 1984"

The evidence is pointing straight towards that bright light at the end of the tunnel.....

but there's a train coming.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I posted this comment in another topic.
The whole 1984 concept is just too close to the bone to be a fluke(a fluke means lucky shot).
Sure, Orwell must have been clever, but his accuracy is just too much, it borders on psychic.
After reading the Hidden_Hand dialogue, which I believe to be genuine, it seems that we really are like the proletariat, even lower in the food chain than poor old Winston Smith. And look how low in the hierarchy he was!
I saw a documentary some years ago about people who knew Orwell, & one man claims that he would say rather strange things; like "would you drink a pint of blood to save your father?".
Blood drinking: what does that remind you of? What did he know? Who did he know?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by klaatu4711

I have always found Orwells works to be quite prophetic... and find the world map of 1984 quite interesting..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'd say we were 1983, maybe august. But that clock keeps ticking.

Just waiting for them to remove the "off" option on tv's and computers. . . .

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'd say we were 1983, maybe august. But that clock keeps ticking.

Just waiting for them to remove the "off" option on tv's and computers. . . .

Agree, we are very close. They may not need to remove off switches. Most people, especially kids, could (or do) watch TV all day long, even while they are dozing off to sleep.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

Wait... Hold on... Tv's and computers have an off button? Please tell me where to find this fantasy button you speak of.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by klaatu4711

Keep this in mind: the proletariat has a great deal more freedom than lesser party members like Winston Smith. This is because they are powerless to do anything with that freedom.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
America is nothing close.

While there are many 'frightening' technologies out there, such as semi-accurate pseudo-GPS on phones and OnStar in cars - very little to none of it is centralized. The most centralized database there is about your revolves around your social security number. In most cases, businesses that collect your social don't actually report data to the government - IE, even though you use your social for your cellular phone plan - AT&T doesn't say "Oh, by the way, this social security number registered for a phone." Those are used to run a credit check, mostly to see if you have signed up with other cellular carriers (or other service providers) and ditched your payments.

Centralizing everything you do, on the scale of the entire population, is realistically impossible. Even with a number of the data sharing advances that are being seen in the computer industry - it's simply not cost-effective or functional to centralize such, bluntly, pointless data.

To put it all in simple terms, yes, we could build a million-dollar house that resembles something out of 1984. We could not, however, do this on a scale capable of encompassing any portion of society.

But, my tin-foil hat is not rated for this conversation.

top topics

join