It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I see this kind of behavior from Christians often??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

so, are you saying that because god created evil, god is evil? i think you should read genesis, evil was created by man with his temptations and actions. and when children do something wrong (ignorant 3 year olds) what do parents do? punish them... there are consequences for each of our actions, whether from this world or the heavens AKA karma. so you are saying that parents are evil for punishing children? or isnt that how we learn right from wrong.

before you write, please read at least the first 12 pages of genesis.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Humans are inherently evil- do you not see all the corruption, murdering, and hypocrisy in our world? If you don't see that you are blind.

NO! as a follwer of christ i disagree with you! we are not inherently evil! we are born pure and un-knowing into this world. since god forgives us all if we ask for true forgivness doesnt that mean that we are made pure? we may perform evil actions and deeds but that doesnt make us inherently evil. its exposure to certain things and desicions we make that make us seem evil. even the most "evil" man can turn around and do something great for the world and its people. so ask your self... if god knows what we are going to be like, if our lives are pre-destined, why would god make some evil people and other good people? it doesnt work like that, he lets us make the choice if we want to be naughty or nice. its a matter of whether you can forgive yourself FIRST before asking god for forgivness.

edit on 29-12-2010 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

impaired,
I look at it this way, if one doesn't believe there can be an afterlife in a better world then why worry about what a Christian may tell you.

As a Christian I find there is a way to obtain that life in a better world and I would help anyone who is interrested to find it.

You are free to believe it is a waste of time to look for that is OK by me. I don't condem you, I find each has chosen for themselves and has noone else to blame but themselves.

The judgement will be only to show each he or she has chosen the outcome.

Truthiron..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
But you immediately agree to suspend critical thinking in favor of credulity and align yourself with men who openly encourage misogyny ,bigotry, slavery, and genocide etc. The men in question being the writers of this abhorrent book -

That may accurately describe your feelings toward Christianity but it has nothing to do with my post in which I said Christians, Muslims, Jews, Republicans, Democrats don't stop being human the moment they subscribe to a belief set. I'm curious as to why you responded with the above to that post.

Maybe it was just intended as a slightly angry poke in the eye......

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WJjeeper

Originally posted by freedish

Humans are inherently evil- do you not see all the corruption, murdering, and hypocrisy in our world? If you don't see that you are blind.

NO! as a follwer of christ i disagree with you! we are not inherently evil! we are born pure and un-knowing into this world. since god forgives us all if we ask for true forgivness doesnt that mean that we are made pure? we may perform evil actions and deeds but that doesnt make us inherently evil. its exposure to certain things and desicions we make that make us seem evil. even the most "evil" man can turn around and do something great for the world and its people. so ask your self... if god knows what we are going to be like, if our lives are pre-destined, why would god make some evil people and other good people? it doesnt work like that, he lets us make the choice if we want to be naughty or nice. its a matter of whether you can forgive yourself FIRST before asking god for forgivness.

i When Adam sinned He relinquished control of the Earth to Satan. We chose sin over God and anyone born of a man is born into sin. The reason why Jesus did not have sin in Him is He was born of a virgin. He was the 'second Adam' anyone born again in Him is clean of sin.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

i think you should read genesis, evil was created by man with his temptations and actions.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7,
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? (Amos 3:6, )

Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? (Lamentations 3:38)

There you go straight from the invisible mans' mouth on high, you see it is not possible for the alleged creator of all that there is, was or will ever be, not to have created something.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by The Djin
But you immediately agree to suspend critical thinking in favor of credulity and align yourself with men who openly encourage misogyny ,bigotry, slavery, and genocide etc. The men in question being the writers of this abhorrent book -

That may accurately describe your feelings toward Christianity but it has nothing to do with my post in which I said Christians, Muslims, Jews, Republicans, Democrats don't stop being human the moment they subscribe to a belief set. I'm curious as to why you responded with the above to that post.

Maybe it was just intended as a slightly angry poke in the eye......

In case you forgot you said -

The moment we become Christian we don't lose our humanity.

To which I responded with -

"But you immediately agree to suspend critical thinking in favor of credulity and align yourself with men who openly encourage misogyny ,bigotry, slavery, and genocide etc. The men in question being the writers of this abhorrent book -"

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

The reason why Jesus did not have sin in Him is He was born of a virgin.

These were also born of virgins which would immediately qualify them for having no sin in them --
Augustus (his father was the god Apollo) Agdistis Attis
Adonis Buddha Dionysus
Korybas Krishna Mithras
Osirus Perseus Romulus and Remus
Tammuz Zoroaster

Plenty more sinless where they came from ,

I may be corrected here but if my memory serves me Sathya Sai Baba is alleged to have been born of a virgin which would also imply him to be sinless and I would guess that a living god with live witnesses trumps your hearsay god.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Are you saying I'm less than human because of my belief?

Also you don't know the path I took in finding my faith. You seem to be characterizing me in a way that suits your attempts to be insulting.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Well, to be honest that works both ways. Here is a fine example from non-religious people, that provoking religious people.

How mature is that then????

But regardless of where my heart is, according to you folks, I'm still going to hell, aren't I?

No . If you are a good person, you will not.

Peace

edit on 29-12-2010 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The argument is a silly one. A Christian is still a human, a sinner.....An atheist is still a human, a sinner.....A person of the Jewish faith is still a human, a sinner...we could go on and on with every religious faith or political leaning. Point being we are all capable of tear jerking beauty and shameful ugliness. Strive to be better....

WE ARE ALL THE SAME!

Period.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Are you saying I'm less than human because of my belief?

No, I merely observe that you align yourself with a character in a book that is claimed by the authors to act in such a repugnant manner that would make me ashamed to be human.

Also you don't know the path I took in finding my faith.

What difference does it make to what you align yourself with?

You seem to be characterizing me in a way that suits your attempts to be insulting.

I'm not attempting to insult you, your allegiances characterize you.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

WE ARE ALL THE SAME!

I only hope that at some point, people will realize that.

Peace

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Well I'm glad to be considered human, just like you. I understand your view of the Old Testament and all the ancient Jewish law...heck there are even mentions of slavery in the NT. I couldn't begin to somehow justify ancient societal standards in this modern age. I hope you don't believe all modern Christians really want slaves or think they have a right to slaves. I hope you don't think all modern Christians treat women like second class citizens. It just isn't the case.

My church and it's 3000 members don't practice slavery, we don't view women as second class citizens....nor does our preacher preach such things....Nobody in my church has been on a bloody crusade or hung witches. I'm sure that is no surprise to you. We have our faith in Jesus and attempt in our daily lives to to the right thing by our family, friends and neighbors (which means everyone).

Maybe it's just me but I feel a lot of anger in your posts. I hope someday we can get past that and see we are all the same.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seed76

WE ARE ALL THE SAME!

I only hope that at some point, people will realize that.

Peace

I agree bud. I pray one day people from all sides realize we are a reflection of the other, we are together in this thing called life.

It always amazed me to think of the geological time line where the human race occupies a quarter inch on a mile long history....and withing that quarter inch is every human you have ever read about through our "ancient" history. Now withing that mark here we are, sharing the same 70 year blink of time. I mean what are the odds. Everyone alive at this very moment share a very special thing.....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I think what many atheists fail to realize is that there are many different perspectives on religion. They use their own limited concept of what they "think" all religious people the world over practice to somehow validate some point. Same happens with religious people when speaking to atheists. And yet, neither "side" sees this *shrug*
edit on 29-12-2010 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I understand your view of the Old Testament and all the ancient Jewish law...heck there are even mentions of slavery in the NT. I couldn't begin to somehow justify ancient societal standards in this modern age.

Are you implying that the god ywheh/jesus changed his mind about things like how to beat your slave, or the punishment for the consumption of blood or kilingl non virgin brides etc ?

Kind of odd that the same character made it quite clear the not one jot not tattle of the law was to be changed.

Nevertheless, for the sake of positive relations we could let bygones be bygones I suppose, so why not make a start and show commitment and integrity by speaking out internationally and having the bibles edited again to exclude the instructions to harm or devalue other humans?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik

I think what many atheists fail to realize is that there are many different perspectives on religion. They use their own limited concept of what they "think" all religious people the world over practice to somehow validate some point. Same happens with religious people when speaking to atheists. And yet, neither "side" sees this *shrug*
edit on 29-12-2010 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

Now this thread is turning into a more constructive thread. :Up: Where an atheist can learn more about the modern Christian and the modern Christian can learn more about modern atheists. We get nowhere when we attempt to package the opposition into a tiny box of our own creation. We learn nothing by acting in this way.

Honest ego-less discussion between people is the only way to get anywhere. And I'm not talking hardened debate, I'm talking about honest discussion where we are willing to really listen with an attempt to understand as much as we speak.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

For the scientific, im too religious. For the religious, im too new agey. For the new age, im too scientific.

But for those wise enough to see beyond all that, well, thats where the true learning begins. Its just an individual perspective amongst billions, no labels needed

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Well I guess I am. Christians believe with the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ we have a new covenant (agreement) with god. There is a new way to pay for sins and a new way to find salvation. It is my opinion that there is one God given law given by Jesus that trumps all others....."Love your neighbor as yourself". If we were to follow this law you couldn't have a slave, treat another as a second class citizen, covet, kill, betray, lie....I mean that simple commandment " Love your neighbor as yourself" covers absolutely everything.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join