It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I see this kind of behavior from Christians often??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bendii
reply to post by impaired

Jesus is mentioned quite a few time in the Holy Qur'an. As a righteous prophet, his birth, as a messenger to Israel and other passages. too.

And what's the source of the Koran? One man? One man with less-than-desirable traits (Mohammed)?

"God" supposedly talked to Mohammed and that's how the Koran came to be.

The OT was written in a similar fashion.

The NT is a different story, but it's veracity is still contested.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You are right. I think..just my opinion now, is ancient humans were looking for answers. These books were their way of making sense out of Chaos. It is conveniently seen that God only entered the picture when Humans were able to write down his words. Humans existed long before we were able to have a written language. God being what He is, surely would have shown himself to these also.
But it seems that Life then was brutal. And sacrificing children and adults was to appease an angry God. Or so they thought, and it was thought to make their life better. So they had little or no information on the creator, just acting on their own.
These acts carried over into the age of written information also. Humans still searching for answers. And a silent Creator for so many thousands of years speaks out...in these books.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that would be appropriate to share in this thread:

"I love Jesus. It's his followers who scare me."

The biggest problem I have with Christianity is that it basically tells everyone they were born bad people, through no fault of their own, and we all must now adhere to a certain doctrine that is the only path to redemption.

That sounds more like a social control mechanism than anything to do with enlightenment or salvation. I suppose the original sin concept, and it's use for social manipulation, could be applied to any Abrahamic religion, but since we're talking about Christianity...

I believe all human beings are inherently good, not sinners from birth. The opposite belief, that it is "human nature" to do evil, is a learned belief and reinforced by society to make you think that all hell would break loose if there weren't religions and governments to maintain some semblance of order (religion and government were once one and the same, remember--some would argue it still is). It is also used as justification for evil behavior. There is no such legitimacy.

But that's just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that would be appropriate to share in this thread:

"I love Jesus. It's his followers who scare me."

The biggest problem I have with Christianity is that it basically tells everyone they were born bad people, through no fault of their own, and we all must now adhere to a certain doctrine that is the only path to redemption.

That sounds more like a social control mechanism than anything to do with enlightenment or salvation. I suppose the original sin concept, and it's use for social manipulation, could be applied to any Abrahamic religion, but since we're talking about Christianity...

I believe all human beings are inherently good, not sinners from birth. The opposite belief, that it is "human nature" to do evil, is a learned belief and reinforced by society to make you think that all hell would break loose if there weren't religions and governments to maintain some semblance of order (religion and government were once one and the same, remember--some would argue it still is). It is also used as justification for evil behavior. There is no such legitimacy.

But that's just my two cents.

You said it! We are told we are sinners to the stage can be set.

But as far as that bumper sticker is concerned - I believe the gist of it came from Gahndi:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. Mohandas Gandhi

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i have seen a lot of negative comments on christians. you ask, why are christians so judgmental? why are christians so stubborn? why do christians send hate mail to people like richard dawkins?

1) christians are judgmental because god created us in his image. god is the judge of judges and we push forth the actions for him to judge people. it is also human nature to judge others, with out judgment we wouldnt know who was going to get us into trouble or keep us out of trouble.

2) christians are stubborn and "scientifically ignorant" because we are tired of living in a world where we are constantly contradicted, laughed at, and persecuted for our beliefs.

3) why do we send hate mail to well known scientists and darwinists? do you like constantly being mocked and attempted to be proven wrong? if there was a person following you around, telling you that you suck, what you believe is wrong and constantly contradicting your beliefs, what would you do? i would punch that #head in the throat as hard as i could. and you cant say you wouldnt do much different.

now, i heard somebody say earlier in this thread, "it bothers me you CAN be forgiven for anything, no matter what it is".

think about this... i kill your dog, god forgives me. i may be forgiven by god (maybe) but can i forgive myself for taking an innocent life and causing pain upon the creature and its loved ones? to be forgiven by god, you must be able to TRULY forgive yourself.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bendii

You are bringing up a good point. I don't feel it is correct for us to judge past actions by todays thoughts on what is right and wrong or should have happened. For instance, someone mentioned the Crusades as a reason to drop or question Christianity. However, a secular example of the same type of thing would be what the US, even before the Republic, did to the Native Americans. I am sure there were more Native Americans killed during the expansion of the continental US. While Christianity is militantly attacked for the Crusades; I seldom see people militantly advocating for the Native American.

Secondly, a lot of the points brought up in this thread are the same points that separate Catholics and other Christians. For example, most Christians use only the Bible as a source for Christianity. In comparison, Catholics believe in both Tradition and the Bible, just to name one difference.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

and if anybody has any questions they would like to ask a fair, balanced follower of christ... feel free to ask.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by freedish

Here's some food for thought: If God doesn't exist, then why do you care about disproving Him?

As there is no proof that a god exists then there is nothing to disprove

seriously think about this... If everyone believes that a pink flying unicorn ruled Saturn you wouldn't spend anytime trying to debunk that or even debate it. You wouldn't even care. You would just ignore it because it's ridiculous.

Indeed, as ridiculous as a man living inside a fish, or a god killing himself to try and get its' creation to cooperate Nevertheless The supporters of the Pink Flying Unicorn don't instruct homosexuals or naughty boys to be put to death, neither do they demand that slaves be beaten in a certain way.
Indeed the supporters of The Pink Flying Unicorn don't stalk my children every-time my back is turned in order to brainwash them into joining their cult.

I just simply don't care...

So why bother entering the discussion ?

Think about it...

Like so many others, your views about God are warped by the sins and evilness of humanity. Humans are evil, God is not- get this through your head because it IS the truth. It doesn't matter what kind of doctrine we follow we are all still evil. God says our rightousness apart from Him is like filthy rags.

You know as well as I that Christianity doesn't demand killing of homosexual boys- stop taking the bible out of context.

And if you didn't know that YOU NEED TO READ THE BIBLE AGAIN.
edit on 29-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick
reply to post by Bendii

In comparison, Catholics believe in both Tradition and the Bible, just to name one difference.

catholics dont believe in christ as the lord and savior. that is why they do not follow simply by his word. they need the tradition because they are a weak group of people. needing something that has never changed to hold together an ever changing love, thats idiocy in following god.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Contradictions? Compare the claims of fulfilled prophecies in the Gospels to the old testament, a lot of them are either quote-mines, fabrications, or distortions. Or just compare the lists of the Apostles named in each gospel, there are differences. Or look at the time where Jesus quotes the 10 commandments...with a commandment that doesn't exist. Or his statement that a generation wouldn't pass before his prophecies came to pass...and we're what...a few hundred generations later?

Or look at the story of Exodus. Look at how often all the livestock die. It's like Yahweh keeps bringing them back to life after each plague that kills them.

Your missing the forest through the trees. The point of the law was to love your neighbor as yourself. If you keep the whole law then you are doing that. That's why jesus said the greatest commandment is to love....if you love people then you are keeping the laws...

The generation that will not come to pass is referring to the generation in the end times when Israel becomes a nation. (you need to read the bible again)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WJjeeper
3) why do we send hate mail to well known scientists and darwinists? do you like constantly being mocked and attempted to be proven wrong? if there was a person following you around, telling you that you suck, what you believe is wrong and constantly contradicting your beliefs, what would you do? i would punch that # in the throat as hard as i could. and you cant say you wouldnt do much different.

So I suppose the whole "turn the other cheek" thing and the Golden Rule both went right over your head? Or maybe there's some sarcasm there that is going over mine.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

unlike christ, i am NOT perfect. my human nature and ego doesnt let me turn the other cheek.

edit on 29-12-2010 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by freedish

Sorry if this is a 'typical christian memorized answer' (whatever) but it's really not a religion man. It's a relationship. How would you like to have God living inside of you communicating to you everyday, and getting to know who He truly is. Man you could go your whole life without going to church and you'd still get into heaven...because it's not about what you do ...its about what Jesus did.

Therein lies the conundrum.

The Bible clearly states that "God" is omnipotent and omnipresent.

Omnipresence means that it is EVERYWHERE. Every square inch of the universe is occupied by "God". By definition.

So you asking me "How would you like to have God living inside of you" is kind of absurd.

God already lives inside of me and inside of all things.

And the Bible also clearly indicates that "Heaven" is the sky above us (outer space). It's not some mystical make believe place in your mind. It's wide open outer space.

That's why I don't take religion seriously, because 99% of people do not even bother to read or think about it. Yet they will go around preaching it. Even though they don't realize the ultimate points of what they just read.

Good point, I guess He lives inside of you but you can't hear His voice because your ears are turned off.

Heaven in hebrew can be interpreted many different ways...look it up

80% of your guys questions could easily be found with google...your obviously not wanting to look these things up yourselves....

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

Thank you for the post. This is what I like to see.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
i would like to say god is not omnipresent, god is omnipotent. he/she/it (god) doesnt have to be everywhere, or be inside of everything. simply because god IS everything, he is all things of existence, living and dead, hard and soft, cold and hot, visible and invisible. people dont like the thought of god watching over us. but what if we are each god, a small piece to the puzzle of the verses? we are made in his image so we are a part of him, an exact replica. god even admits that he is a jealous god, which is human nature. therefore god gave us his nature through our human nature. i think thats what i was trying to get at... think outside the box guys, god isnt up in the clouds watching us. he is us, watching us.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is a very timely subject for me. I would like to start off by saying that I was raised a christian but that I left the church almost 10 years ago. I didn't even watch the video in the OP, but I don't need to. I recently went with my friend to a Christmas dinner at some "Christians" house. I was thinking that it has been a long time since I had fellow-ship with other Christians, and that I could use it. Well, it only served to remind me why I left the "Church" in the first place. This was an evangelist's home and some of you on here may even have some of their music. I have never been treated so badly in all my life(except for in church). I love Jesus and do believe He died for our sins. I do not go around judging people, but these people were some of the snobbiest, rudest people I have ever encountered. My friend tells me that I should not pass judgment on these people, and that I didn't like them because they weren't drinkers or druggies like my friends and families. I must say that I would so much rather be in the company of those sinners, drinkers, dopers because at least they would treat me like I was welcome in their home. He told me I was intimidating to them. Really? It reminds me of what Jesus said in the book of Revelation. "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Revelation 18:3-5

I prefer NOT to be called a christian because I do not want to be associated with these types of people. And the Jesus I know would not act like them. He, like myself, spent his time with the sinners of the world. Could it be because they are actually better company? That they aren't "self" righteous? I, myself am far from perfect. There is so much hatred in the world already. Jesus also told us in Matthew that the "love of many shall wax cold." I have experienced this first hand. And I would like to apologize to all the others out there that have had the same kinds of experiences with christians. There are some good ones out there. Few and far between, but they do exist. I do not use Christ as a crutch, rather I draw strength from knowing the creator loves me. Christians have put themselves in the position to be judged by thinking they are the only ones making it to heaven. I believe I will see all sorts there. Muslim, Buddhists, Christians... it matters not. God looks at our hearts because our flesh is corrupt. I only ask that I never become like these people that I encountered.

And yes, the Bible does teach us what pure religion is. James 1 sums it all up. I will go on, loving God and waiting on him to return. If I ever see these people again, I will still love them and treat them better than they treated me.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
My great grandmother was part Indian. She was born in 1864. (Our family has very long life spans.) She told a story about her grandfather, who was also Indian. She said he married a white girl and and some white men came by one day and started a quarrel. According to her story he was killed. Cut his heart out, and threw his body in the river. The argument was over him marrying a white girl and owning land. It seems they didnot see him as a human fit for a white girl. Now ..not against white people. My great grandpa was Irish and also Irish on the other side of the family.
Just to let people know what the people of that time thought about Indians as human beings.
edit on 29-12-2010 by Bendii because: needed to add a word

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Like so many others, your views about God are warped by the sins and evilness of humanity.

Oh really ? And who exactly, made you the authority on how the imaginary man should be viewed ?

Humans are evil,

Are you not a human ? Pleas provide proof that humans are evil .

God is not-

Hm let us look at how evil is defined -

adjective 1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.

According to your scriptures your god yawheh /jesus is the creator of evil, well now there's a good start but hello hello he/ also also can be characterized by 1-5 of the above definition.

get this through your head because it IS the truth. It doesn't matter what kind of doctrine we follow we are all still evil.

Get this through your head "SPEAK FOR YOURSELF" you are the one suffering the delusion, if you think you fit the above definition of evil then good for you but I and many people that I know don't which would include probably every child .

God says our rightousness apart from Him is like filthy rags.

No my dear, men say this and some of them wrote it in a book that you choose to beleive.

You know as well as I that Christianity doesn't demand killing of homosexual boys- stop taking the bible out of context.

I'm not taking the bibles out of context my friend the bibles clearly state that homosexuals along with naqughty boys should be put to death. Would you like me to quote you chapter and verses?

And if you didn't know that YOU NEED TO READ THE BIBLE AGAIN.

Dude, just because I don't believe what I read and think it bollocks does not mean I am unable to read grow up a little.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

But regardless of where my heart is, according to you folks, I'm still going to hell, aren't I?

I doubt it.
You don't sound evil to me.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Humans are inherently evil- do you not see all the corruption, murdering, and hypocrisy in our world? If you don't see that you are blind.

Also God gave us the chance to be pure and holy like Him in the beginning but we chose to sin by eating from the tree of death. He even told us we would die when we ate it. He is well within His right to kill people...there is no one who is innocent...not one. We are all sinners. He does love us though, He gives us so many chances to repent and turn from our sins yet we continually choose evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join