It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I see this kind of behavior from Christians often??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Sorry Christians for the hook, line, and sinker.

And sorry to the mods - this has apparently turned into a full-on rant. Please move to the rant section.

When I see stuff like this, it really angers me - the hypocrisy of many Christians...

Now, I am not the biggest fan of Richard Dawkings - I am an Agnostic and I don't like what he has to say about us, but whatever. I admire the man for being logical and for confronting his hate mail.

Listen to the things these people, who are supposedly followers of Christ, have to say. And like I said, I see this kind of thing in real life all the time:

* Caution - Foul Language.

The main objective of this thread is to show how people will damn people to hell and do whatever other horrible things to people, but have no problem with it because they will be forgiven anyway if they believe in Christ as their lord and savior.

That is dangerous in my eyes. And while the (radical) Christians don't appear to be as intrusive as the radical Muslims, the concept of being forgiven regardless of what you do in life makes me very uncomfortable.

Religious folks: I believe in a Creator (just perhaps not yours). I believe in happiness and joy and strongly dislike hate and pain.

I also love Jesus as a person and a teacher, but don't think of him to be god. I guess you can say that I am also a "New Ager".

But regardless of where my heart is, according to you folks, I'm still going to hell, aren't I?
edit on 12/28/2010 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I can feel the arrogance steaming off this man. Perhaps he isn't the best spokesman for you guys...

Here's some food for thought:
If God doesn't exist, then why do you care about disproving Him?

seriously think about this...
If everyone believes that a pink flying unicorn ruled Saturn you wouldn't spend
anytime trying to debunk that or even debate it. You wouldn't even care.
You would just ignore it because it's ridiculous.

I don't get pleasure from disproving UFO or Global Warming enthusiasts...
I just ignore them because it sounds ridiculous to me.
I just simply don't care...
Think about it...

edit on 28-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
According to the christian doctrine, humans do not make the judgment. So, i wouldnt worry too much about what other humans think on such topics. Their own doctrines invalidate their words.

Hypocrisy, hate, and anger are far from being exclusive to christianity though (as im sure most people realize).
edit on 28-12-2010 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I suppose he doesn't think its a sin as long as he is reading foul launguage - arrogrant #)$(%))##

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by impaired

I can feel the arrogance steaming off this man. Perhaps he isn't the best spokesman for you guys...

You ummm... You didn't read anything I typed - just saw the video, huh? *I* am AGNOSTIC. He does NOT speak for me.

Here's some food for thought:
If God doesn't exist, then why do you care about disproving Him?

Yup - definitely didn't READ the OP. *I* believe in a force of Creation. Only my concept of It is incongruent with yours...

seriously think about this...
If everyone believes that a pink flying unicorn ruled Saturn you wouldn't spend
anytime trying to debunk that or even debate it. You wouldn't even care.
You would just ignore it because it's ridiculous.

I do ignore it. The only time I am on the offensive is when I see so-called "Christians" acting like they were in his hate-mail. It's very simple.

I don't get pleasure from mocking UFO or Global Warming enthusiasts...
I just ignore them because it sounds ridiculous to me. Nor do I go out
of my way to prove them wrong, I just simply don't care.
Think about it...

Well, you are obviously contradicting yourself by posting.
Regardless, you ignore the UFO scene and Global Warming enthusiasts... Fine...

But do you really think that we are alone in this Universe?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
According to the christian doctrine, humans do not make the judgment. So, i wouldnt worry too much about what other humans think on such topics. Their own doctrines invalidate their words.

Hypocrisy, hate, and anger are far from being exclusive to christianity though (as im sure most people realize).

PURE CHRISTianity, but I have yet to see a non-judgemental Christian who actually follows Jesus' words.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Dawkins is a splitting mirror image of what is wrong with religious fanatics.

He is a religious fanatic in his own incredible ways.

I do not consider my self religious at all, and I still don't like this guy.

Carl Sagan was a WAY better spokesperson for science.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I suppose he doesn't think its a sin as long as he is reading foul launguage - arrogrant #)$(%))##

If he's not part of that belief system, than what does it matter?

And second of all, who are the ones who are REALLY using the foul language.

And I'm sure Dawkings wouldn't come off as arrogant if he was on your side, now would he?

He has that arrogance about him in this video because he is responding back to madness.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

PURE CHRISTianity, but I have yet to see a non-judgemental Christian who actually follows Jesus' words.

The Bible said clearly that only Jesus was sinless.

That's why religious people inevitably become hypocrites. Because they aren't Jesus and they are trying to be like him while at the same time still committing all the same sins they usually do...

So technically there is no such thing as "pure christianity" by definition. The Bible tells me so.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Dawkins is a splitting mirror image of what is wrong with religious fanatics.

He is a religious fanatic in his own incredible ways.

I do not consider my self religious at all, and I still don't like this guy.

Carl Sagan was a WAY better spokesperson for science.

Carl Sagan was/is the man.

And yeah, like I said, there a few things I don't like about Dawkings.

But the thing I respect about him and other Atheists is that if they did indeed come across evidence of a Creator, they would look into it.

But with certain religions and dogma, you are not allowed to question ANYTHING. THAT is unforgivable in my eyes and a clear indication of something amiss.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That's why religious people inevitably become hypocrites. Because they aren't Jesus and they are trying to be like him while at the same time still committing all the same sins they usually do...

So technically there is no such thing as "pure christianity" by definition. The Bible tells me so.

The way I see it, when you are committing to an Abrahamic religion, you are:

1: Taking out "insurance" for your afterlife.

2: Being part of something so that if you do something "evil", you will be forgiven anyway.

3: Filling a void.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That's because we are born as sinners, and even after we accept christ we can still sin.

Btw sorry If i misread your post- I was angry (yeah im a christian and I can still get angry because i'm human) because I see a lot of christian mocking on here....it's very irritating. I'm glad you believe in God, and even believe Jesus walked the Earth (that's a huge step!) but Jesus said it Himself that He is God. We aren't perfect, nobody is perfect. We still sin, but we are forgiven.That's it.

I have a question for you, if Jesus didn't die for your sins, how do you plan on getting eternal life? Jesus said He is the only way to eternal life.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The way I see it, when you are committing to an Abrahamic religion, you are:

1: Taking out "insurance" for your afterlife.

2: Being part of something so that if you do something "evil", you will be forgiven anyway.

3: Filling a void.

Sorry if this is a 'typical christian memorized answer' (whatever) but it's really not a religion man. It's a relationship. How would you like to have God living inside of you communicating to you everyday, and getting to know who He truly is. Man you could go your whole life without going to church and you'd still get into heaven...because it's not about what you do ...its about what Jesus did.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

That's because we are born as sinners, and even after we accept christ we can still sin.

According to your bible your are all born "sinners". And as far as the second part - Well that's just dandy, now, isn't it? Not to be sarcastic, but that means you can blow up the planet and kill almost 7 Billion people but if you accept JC as your god, then it's all good.

Not cool...

Btw sorry If i misread your post- I was angry (yeah im a christian and I can still get angry because i'm human)

We reach an agreement. There's nothing wrong with getting angry - we ARE all human - like you said. Anyways...

because I see a lot of christian mocking on here....

No - there IS no "Mocking". There is the video in the OP and myself showing through THEIR OWN ACTIONS what kind of people are called Christians - for the most part... In the video, Dawkings is literally using their own actions against them (in this case, their own words!).

it's very irritating.

Why? Does the shoe fit? Why are you getting so angry? What's the anger reservation all about?

I'm glad you believe in God, and even believe Jesus walked the Earth

Thank you. That's very nice.

(that's a huge step!)

And here is where I see the typical Christian arrogance - please - no offense. "A big step"? That's condescending. I know you didn't mean it - I'm just making a point. And I'm not attacking YOU - I'm attacking the belief system that makes you folks think like that (that you are at a higher understanding - without equivocation).

but Jesus said it Himself that He is God.

Oh come on already with the circular logic!!! The bible is not the only source of ancient history (even though Jesus is mentioned ONLY in the bible)!!!!

We aren't perfect, nobody is perfect.
I agree.

We still sin, but we are forgiven.That's it.

I contest the veracity of that statement.

I have a question for you, if Jesus didn't die for your sins, how do you plan on getting eternal life? Jesus said He is the only way to eternal life.

I don't know what hurts more - my face or my palm. It's always circular logic. Why?!

Us non-Christians are accused of being abominations - especially if we don't conform to their religion. BUT, they will only take their source from ONE BOOK.

Am I in crazy land?!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

I am extremely happy with my conception/perception of the Creator - as I know it at this moment in time.

And why does the word "Creator" always have to be Yahweh from the bible? Why is it automatically that?

But I do like what you said about your omitance of the church and the dogma.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Thats speaks more for the humans involved rather than the religion.

I have known several people (still not many) who follow his words in both their hearts and their actions. Some of them claim the title "Christian," and some do not. There are not many who are kind and compassionate in both their hearts and actions, regardless of religion (or lack there-of).
edit on 28-12-2010 by sinohptik because: format err

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
People like Mr. Dawkins spend time "debunking" religions because they feel these religions are dangerous to everyones mental health and the worlds general well being. Take a look around you in the world and see all the hatred, bigotry, bloodshed over who has the better version of an invisible, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient murderous, jealous, hateful but "peaceful and benevolent god who loves you'" unless of course you don't believe in him- then all you get are the negative adjectives.

I don't agree with every single thing he says but I do agree with the majority of it. Especially mind boggling is that it's legal to brainwash children into these cults.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I have known several people (still not many) who follow his words in both their hearts and their actions. Some of them claim the title "Christian," and some do not. There are not many who are kind and compassionate in both their hearts and actions, regardless of religion (or lack there-of).

I agree. That star is from me.

This is true. So would it be safe for me to say that I am attacking the actual religion and dogma than the actual person? That's my intent, at least, and I freely admit that I fail at that sometimes...

And so it seems that I just get upset with people (in these paradigms) because it APPEARS TO ME that they are just blindly following something without properly doing research.

That's how I became a Non-Christian - truth be told. - I READ AND DID RESEARCH. I did not like what I saw - from the kind of entity Yahweh was, to the murdering, to the Paul/Constantine/King James - alterations, to the crusades, and to the hypocrisy within the bible itself. Not to mention the many contradictions...

If you're going to believe in something, at least don't be biased in what you believe. Like, if you find contradictions in the bible, why not be like, "I believe in the bible, but there are still some things that contradict eachother".

I never see that. It seems that certain types of Christians are just NEVER WRONG (mostly as far as their belief system is concerned).

As far as I am concerned, I am constantly upgrading or rather - changing my belief system when new information is available to me.

This is not the case with the Abrahamic religions and it drives me crazy when I see intelligent human beings being so intellectually stagnant when it comes to belief systems...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

According to your bible your are all born "sinners". And as far as the second part - Well that's just dandy, now, isn't it? Not to be sarcastic, but that means you can blow up the planet and kill almost 7 Billion people but if you accept JC as your god, then it's all good. Not cool...

If you are truly of Jesus you won't WANT to sin. Whenever I sin I feel horrible, that is because the Holy Spirit convicts me. Jesus says that when you believe in Him you are born again and then your will becomes His will.

No - there IS no "Mocking". There is the video in the OP and myself showing through THEIR OWN ACTIONS what kind of people are called Christians - for the most part... In the video, Dawkings is literally using their own actions against them (in this case, their own words!).

That is your opinion. I see a lot of anti christian threads around this board and like i said it's irritating...
And the guy is obviously mocking Christians, he thinks were hypocrites. How is that not mocking? Or at least somewhat insulting... I could find examples of atheists, jews, muslums, agnostics, new age people or any group being hypocrites...it's a human issue not a god issue...

Why? Does the shoe fit? Why are you getting so angry? What's the anger reservation all about?

Let me ask you a question. Would you get angry if someone was mocking your mother? Or someone you love? Exactly.

And here is where I see the typical Christian arrogance - please - no offense. "A big step"? That's condescending. I know you didn't mean it - I'm just making a point. And I'm not attacking YOU - I'm attacking the belief system that makes you folks think like that (that you are at a higher understanding - without equivocation).

Arrogance? Friend I'm super happy for you. Some agnostics/atheists don't even think Jesus was real. So I'm excited that you believe He is real. Maybe you are taking me the wrong way?

Oh come on already with the circular logic!!! The bible is not the only source of ancient history (even though Jesus is mentioned ONLY in the bible)!!!!

I promise you He is mentioned in many different texts...unless you don't think they're credible, that we can disagree on.

I don't know what hurts more - my face or my palm. It's always circular logic. Why?! Us non-Christians are accused of being abominations - especially if we don't conform to their religion. BUT, they will only take their source from ONE BOOK. Am I in crazy land?!

What...when did I accuse you? christianity isn't a religion in a sense that catholicism or judaism is...it's a relationship with God.

One book that was written by 40 different authors over a span of 5,000 years and is completely inerrant. (i know u disagree with that but I've researched it with a neutral stance and found that it is).

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I agree. That star is from me.

This is true. So would it be safe for me to say that I am attacking the actual religion and dogma than the actual person? That's my intent, at least, and I freely admit that I fail at that sometimes...

And so it seems that I just get upset with people (in these paradigms) because it APPEARS TO ME that they are just blindly following something without properly doing research.

That's how I became a Non-Christian - truth be told. - I READ AND DID RESEARCH. I did not like what I saw - from the kind of entity Yahweh was, to the murdering, to the Paul/Constantine/King James - alterations, to the crusades, and to the hypocrisy within the bible itself. Not to mention the many contradictions...

If you're going to believe in something, at least don't be biased in what you believe. Like, if you find contradictions in the bible, why not be like, "I believe in the bible, but there are still some things that contradict eachother".

I never see that. It seems that certain types of Christians are just NEVER WRONG (mostly as far as their belief system is concerned).

As far as I am concerned, I am constantly upgrading or rather - changing my belief system when new information is available to me.

This is not the case with the Abrahamic religions and it drives me crazy when I see intelligent human beings being so intellectually stagnant when it comes to belief systems...

So you used to be a Christian, and then you read the bible and found some apparent contradictions. I am curious, what contradictions did you find? I have gone through many atheist arguements (god kills people, human suffering, slavery, crusades...etc.) and honestly none of them hold any ground.

... So i'm curious what contradictions did you find? Maybe I could help?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join